Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help with dying dreads

Keely Lime
@keely-lime
13 years ago
8 posts
I'm a natural blonde, but i got too excited about dreading and started them before dying my hair back.I'm prettymuch platinum, so bleaching is the easiest way to acheive my hair color, but I know that bleaching causes a lot of breakage and really dries your hair out.I know that I'm going to have to bleach it pretty soon, or else I'm about to look really dint with white roots and red dreads, but I'm not quite sure how to go about it.Also, is there something I can use to help moisturize my hair after? Or will the damaged hair just help them lock in?I've ears mixed results on how to dye, what to moisturize with, or even whether or not to even moisturize, so hopefully. You guys can help out, because I really have no idea what to do, lolI'm very very new to this dreading thing.
updated by @keely-lime: 01/13/15 08:52:51PM
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
13 years ago
184 posts

Since your dreads are so new, I don't thinkmoisturizingthem is a good idea. Maybe you should wait a month or so before dying your hair again. and let them lock up a bit.

and don't re-backcomb or use the crochet hook you mentioned in your profile lol. Just don't touch them and they'll be fine!

Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
13 years ago
66 posts
http://www.compunction.org/dyeing.txt This is an excellent guide to dying your dreads. It even gives a little advice if you damage your dreads.Hope this helps (:
Keely Lime
@keely-lime
13 years ago
8 posts
yeah, prettymuch after the first 4 or 5 days of having my dreads i realized nothing tightened them up better than just sleeping on them. Im really glad i found this site early on.

Brandon Arnold said:

Since your dreads are so new, I don't thinkmoisturizingthem is a good idea. Maybe you should wait a month or so before dying your hair again. and let them lock up a bit.

and don't re-backcomb or use the crochet hook you mentioned in your profile lol. Just don't touch them and they'll be fine!

supp
@supp
13 years ago
81 posts

Ummm I pretty sure your not supposed to moisturize locks, that's why peeps use bs and acv etc....I'd say it's likely that it will reverse the process and make your hair soft & silky smooth (not what cha want for dreadies)

But the whole thing of dying dreads sounds fun, let us know how it goes! ^^

Mike

Keely Lime
@keely-lime
13 years ago
8 posts
great website! thanks!

Jeffree Vega. said:
http://www.compunction.org/dyeing.txt

This is an excellent guide to dying your dreads. It even gives a little advice if you damage your dreads.

Hope this helps (:
Keely Lime
@keely-lime
13 years ago
8 posts

yeah the only reason i was considering a moisturizer was because i know A LOT of breakage to dreads can thin them out and ruin them. But my hair responds pretty well to bleach, so Im not too worried, if anyhting a little damage could probably help because my dreads just dont seem to want to lock at all :)

Im probably going to get bleaching supplies soon within the week or so, Ill be sure to post a video of my troubles :)

supp said:

Ummm I pretty sure your not supposed to moisturize locks, that's why peeps use bs and acv etc....I'd say it's likely that it will reverse the process and make your hair soft & silky smooth (not what cha want for dreadies)

But the whole thing of dying dreads sounds fun, let us know how it goes! ^^

Mike

Rockerbaby
@rockerbaby
13 years ago
27 posts

Since your hair is so naturally light to begin with, it probably won't take too long for the red to fade out. Try using Prell Classic shampoo. It's residue free and it's also known to help strip hair dye. Red hair dye is also the fastest fading dye, so you won't be a redhead too long.

I don't know where you live, I didn't look, but if you live somewhere warm, spray lemon juice in your hair and sit under the sun for an hour or so every day until your hair lightens up to where you want it. It works really well for light hair.

Since you aren't bleaching your hair THAT much (not like going black to blonde), it really might not damage it too much, and your hair might take it well since you're naturally blonde anyway. I'm not 100% on that though, since I have super dark hair. Just be sure to rinse your hair completely. I mean completely. If you think you rinsed well enough, rinse it again. It would suck to have bleach stuck in your dreads causing all sorts of damage.

Chelsea LookWhatTheCatDraggedIn
@chelsea-lookwhatthecatdraggedin
13 years ago
42 posts
This is probably a Post from a long time Ago but let me tell you I tried to bleach my hair... It didn't work too well on my dreads but let me tell you, it worked on my roots. They are bleached and my dreads are brown. I couldn't wait to die my hair before I dreaded either. My roots look so reductions because it looks like I'm bald with freekin dreads coming out of my head... Like spider legs or something. I'm goig to die my roots brown tomorrow and hopefully bleach the dreads again . :(
Keely Lime
@keely-lime
13 years ago
8 posts

I actually bleached last week,

and I didnt have any problems, but this may be because i was bleached UNDER the red, and also I am a natural blonde,

my hair has always taken to bleach, however i realized I needed a lot more than i used to.

good luck next time, and hopefully the results will be better!

try mixing your own bleach instead of using a kit. any beauty store will have the personel to help you get the supplies you need, and i find it's also usually cheaper and more effective.
Chelsea LookWhatTheCatDraggedIn said:

This is probably a Post from a long time Ago but let me tell you I tried to bleach my hair... It didn't work too well on my dreads but let me tell you, it worked on my roots. They are bleached and my dreads are brown. I couldn't wait to die my hair before I dreaded either. My roots look so reductions because it looks like I'm bald with freekin dreads coming out of my head... Like spider legs or something. I'm goig to die my roots brown tomorrow and hopefully bleach the dreads again . :(
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form