Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

i need help!

Sarah5
@sarah5
13 years ago
1 posts

i've been thinking for awhile now that i'd really like to start dreading my hair myself.. although i'm not sure which method is the best and easiest for a beginner. someone help please! :)

updated by @sarah5: 01/13/15 08:52:46PM
Zach2
@zach2
13 years ago
20 posts
natural 100%....i backcombed and my dreads are coming along fine but 100 times out of 100 if i were going to redo them i would let them happen on there own...
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

theres nothing easier or better then natural can u stop combing? but twist and rips easy too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

the long while is sometimes usualy it happenss pretty quick

but taking the long road idf ot is a long road u really earn your locks and learn the most from the process its the most enjoysble relaxed ..natural way to dread

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

every single one who backcombes twists and rips whatever any method but natural panic the very next daty and continue to [panic at every single sing that they are dreading omg i got loose hairs help omg i got loops help but when u go natural you se4 the 1st kniot that senfds others into a panic and u get deep satisfaction so how exactly is the other ways as relaxed and enjoyable when its nonstop pannic?

just look at the introduce yourself section

u get hi im going natural and i love the process ..or u get hi i just backcomed and help how do i fix these the roots are loose the tips are loose theres loose hairs everywhere i love em but theyre driving me crazy..after just 1 week which goes on and on usualy 6 months about (4 at least)

its a whole different experience wich u wouldnt know having backcombed every time

im not saying she shouldnt concider twist and rip or backcomb but to say its as relaxed and enjoyable is extremely misleasing since its almost always full of panic attacks..and lots of them

--
dog mackerel
@dog-mackerel
13 years ago
8 posts
allow it to dread. leave your hair alone. time is your key.
Zach2
@zach2
13 years ago
20 posts
im with you knottysleeves, i didn't mean too push my idea on her, just an honest opinion if i were doing it again i wouldn't backcomb...i still love my dreads and dont panic over them
Sey
@sey
13 years ago
2 posts

Imo, The method best and easiest for a beginner is what ever they can do.

For me personally it was neglect/natural, I had hair down to my butt and it has always been a challenge keeping my hair from getting tangled. I decided to leave my hair alone and wear a bandanna. I already loved wearing them 98% of the time. 2% being swimming and at some locations like a fancy restaurant or dressing up for a date. But I could NOT wear them to work before i started the process. I started developing massive knots in the back very quickly due to the friction of the bandanna as previously I would just wear a pony tail.

It was my best choice since I did not want to damage my hair with back combing or twist and rip methods. I was very nervous about how i was going to separate sections, but over time if i did them once or twice a week in the beginning and now once a month as i'm still in the process at 9 months. It was easy, did take time though (1hr-ish now at 5-10 mins) to separate. To me that is a lot less than doing each dread individually in the beginning which i've heard can take 8-10 hours? I'm probably wrong on how long it takes but thats just what i've heard.

I still consider myself a beginner, but not everyone is the same. Lot of people have had their sets much longer and some look much nicer. If i ever have to cut, for what ever reason it may be. Once i grow my hair back down to my butt I am going to TRY back combing just to see how it goes. I know my hair will dread eventually. I have loved this process though.

Jeffree Vega.
@jeffree-vega
13 years ago
66 posts
I'm with Knotty.My dreads are twist and rip and I don't panic about every little change. Intact, I embrace it.If you have the patience, you should think about going natural/neglect. If you want something that is a bit more 'instant gratification', I would advise t'n'r. But remember, they can loosen up, fall apart. And even though you can see 'dreads, it's still a journey that takes time.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form