Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Oh. Hey. I'm Raph!

TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
14 years ago
24 posts

So... this thing seems to be suggesting I introduce myself. So I am!

My name's Raph. I live in Montreal. But I've lived in a few places. Mostly in East Africa. Mostly? Hm. Not anymore actually. Well. Half my life.

I've traveled a lot. It's a big (very big?) part of who I am. I don't think I would be anywhere near the same person if I hadn't traveled. Though... who knows.

I'm... not confused. Though people often seem to think I am. I have very firm beliefs and thoughts on the way the world works and the way I think it should work. But I never try to impose them on others. I really dislike it when people do that.

I'm a digital artist. And a... traditional? artist. I like to paint. I like to draw. I like to make funky sculptures out of beer bottles. But I'm also a bit of a photographer. A bit of a geek. I like to program things. I like to work in photoshop, 3ds max, maya, vegas and all sorts of other software. Especially 3d software. But that's probably boring to a lot of people, so....

so... I'm interested in philosophy, though I don't know too much about... well. 'academic' philosophy. Hah. I just realized I don't know much about any philosophy really. I've read some Foucault, some Latour, Heidegger.... but not much of each.

Oh. I love music. I wouldn't be able to tell you who my favorite musicians are. But I love playing music. I play the djembe a bit, the piano a lot, the tin whistle barely and the vocal chords the most :-P

Now, about my dreadlocks!

I've been growing 'em for a year and a half. I've wanted to grow dreads foreeeever! xD Ever since I was in primary school. But... at first I didn't want to ask my parents if I could, because I knew they'd say no. Then I asked them if I could, but they said no. Then, some friends said they'd help me make them and did a horrible job: tooons of wax. Some of the "dreads" were basically giant chunks of wax with a bit of hair, somewhere inside -___- So I combed them out. A few months later, another friend (who showed me pictures of the dreads she's made on herself) made mine, with help from another buddy, by backcombing. She told me I haaaaad to use wax. I tried a bit of wax at first and thought it was gross. I stopped using wax immediately xD Then, during a trip to Costa Rica, when my locks were pretty new, my friends and I went surfing and messed around in the ocean a lot. This changed them a lot. I wasn't sure I liked the change, largely because I want to make sure they looked... "orderly" during job interviews and stuff. So I started crocheting to pull in some of the loose stuff. I got sick of it, but I already had a lot of it done. So... I stopped doing that as well, though I did tell myself every once in a while that maybe I should do a bit more, just in case. I don't though :-P

And... that's my pretty lengthy introduction! :-D

updated by @thesilentrebellion: 02/14/15 05:33:38AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

welcome well no u never want to use wax or crochet in fact going in the oceanh alot and not caring about keeping them orderly is the best thing for them

crochet is a disaster

your freinds who said u need wax dont have a clue and what real dreads are i guess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
14 years ago
24 posts
Yeah, that's the conclusion I ended up coming to! I wish I had the ocean nearby... I guess I'll have to make sure to travel to places with beaches more often! :-P

soaringeagle said:

welcome well no u never want to use wax or crochet in fact going in the oceanh alot and not caring about keeping them orderly is the best thing for them

crochet is a disaster

your freinds who said u need wax dont have a clue and what real dreads are i guess

Leah
@leah
14 years ago
32 posts
hi! lovely dreads you have there. I'd love to see some photos of your beer bottle sculptures!
TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
14 years ago
24 posts
Cool! MTL is kindof awesome, eh? I've only lived here two and a half years, but really, really enjoy it :-) Mmmm... some tasty bagels!

Knottysleeves said:

Salut Ralph! I lived in MTL for almost a decade, I miss it. I would kill for a proper Montreal bagel right about now. ;-)

TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
14 years ago
24 posts
Thaaanks! :-D Maybe I'll put some up at some point soon!

Leah said:
hi! lovely dreads you have there. I'd love to see some photos of your beer bottle sculptures!
supp
@supp
14 years ago
81 posts
Welcome Raph! your life sounds interesting, what parts of africa did you live in (and if ya don't mind me asking) why were ya in africa (lulz just cause your white, seems like you would life in the west)
TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
14 years ago
24 posts
Hi there! Cool stuff xD Photoshop is super fun stuff! :-) Do you use it for photography? Or painting? or collage? Or just whatever? :-D

Suzanne Beattie said:
Hey Ralph! I'm a huge Photoshop geek too. Not boring at all..if you're interestede I guess haha.
TheSilentRebellion
@thesilentrebellion
14 years ago
24 posts
Thanks! Nairobi, Kenya and Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Two beaautiful places. Especially loved Tanzania. I was there because of my parents jobs (international development/anti-corruption). Great places to grow up!

supp said:
Welcome Raph! your life sounds interesting, what parts of africa did you live in (and if ya don't mind me asking) why were ya in africa (lulz just cause your white, seems like you would life in the west)
meg ☮
@meg
13 years ago
92 posts

Hey.

XD

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form