Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

cut for work!?

dog mackerel
@dog-mackerel
14 years ago
8 posts
hey folks. if, at any point, your place of work decided your locks were getting too long and branded them too untidy for work environment, how would you fight your corner? would you just cut, or seek legal advice etc?
updated by @dog-mackerel: 01/13/15 08:52:28PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

why seek legal advice all u gotta do is go to court and defen d yourself and u won the battles already been fought and won so theres no need to fight it again just bring it to the attention of the court that the courts have already ruled in favor of protecting the rights of the dreaded to wear dreads any way they want

so if an employer dared to bring it up id just smile and say well you know you cant require that theres already been hundreds of court cases that ruled that way so i hope youir just joking

the only time they maybe justified is in machine shops where your dreads can get sucked into equipment and be a death risk but even then a compromise to keep them tightly bound in a tam will solve the problem

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
dog mackerel
@dog-mackerel
14 years ago
8 posts

thanks man.

tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
I'd like to think I wouldn't work for such a company to begin with, but we all know that sometimes job options are limited.If it were brought up and there was some kind of legitimate reason (like working in a factory with massive, dangerous machinery, which is the only reasonable scenario I can fathom) I'd see if restraining my locks would be enough, and honestly if it wouldn't I'd find another job. I mean if my dreads were 10 feet past my ankles and all they asked for was a trim but allowed me to keep my locks with some length I'd compromise (I'm sure I'd trim before they ever got THAT long) but if it was no option it all had to go I'd cordially invite them to fuck off and I'd find legal recourse if necessary or just quit if needed.But currently I'm planning to never bother working for a company that doesn't allow me to be myself within productive reason.
Addiboy
@addiboy
14 years ago
17 posts
I work with kids at the Y and just recently at my work someone commented that my dreadlocks scared her child so much that she cries because I look like a lion. She doesn't bring her in when I'm working so she has to find another babysitter. she even said she would be willing to pay for my haircut. Everyone seemed to be very offended by this except for me. one of the other employees told her that we cant discriminate people by the way they do their hair, the way they look, or the color of their skin. Im glad my company is very supportive of my dreads.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form