dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dealing with ignorance

DreddieFreddy
@dreddiefreddy
14 years ago
30 posts
sorry but i just gotta vent:

its so hard to love your own family sometimes, especially when they are being ignorant. no one in my family supports my dread journey. and while i know what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, in the end it still hurts. my grandmother visit for christmas and just hearing her talk is irritating. she talks about how "all jewish women are bitches" and claims that i need to wash my hair cause she can "smell" it. then in the same breath says, "to each his own".

why is the world packed with hypocrites?Why can't we all get over the stereotypes?why is acceptance so hard to find? Your family is supposed to love and support you no matter what, yet it seems that they are the ones who are against me the most. How do you guys deal with close minded people? :'(
updated by @dreddiefreddy: 02/14/15 05:40:52AM
Natty Dave
@natty-dave
14 years ago
56 posts

i don't deal with them, last time i saw my mom's side of the family i was flipping them off telling them to go fuck themselves, i don't need my daughter exposed to hateful racists who stereotype and talk about people behind there back like a bunch of children and i told my dad's side what i really thought about them, there was a lot more to it than that but long story short my christmas has been smooth sailing the last 2 years since i removed them from my life and i have no regrets, their just bad people regardless of relation and i wouldn't be bothered with them if we weren't related so why should they matter to me simply because they are?

they say blood is thicker than water, and i guess thats true because the waves in my life will always calm and troubles get washed down stream in time, but the blood was bad and all it wanted to do was boil.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

who says families are suposed to love and support you no matter what? ideallu yea that would be nice but what dream world does that ever happen in? most families in this world are screwed up any old racist sexist abusive incestious fuck up can have a kid and be a family

be glad all u got from yours is ignorant comments theres plenty out there whos families raped em beat em drove em to the brink of suicide

my point is theyre just ignorant ppl why expect em not to be ignorant..u tolerate em cause your family so tolerate em u dont gotta love em just deal with em foir the holidays and not have much contact the rest og the days..

u can put up with ignorance for a day when u know its just ignorance..its them not ui..pity them..feel sorry for them but dont let them get u down

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nic Sullivan
@nic-sullivan
14 years ago
47 posts
Yeah bottom line people are ignorant, in my situations they seem to dislike things they don't understand. With dreads so many people see it as a natural thing. Then the majority of the public sterotype it as a "Black Person" thing. So when what people do it there i s a lot of mixed emotions. At least thats what i think seeing how a lot of my family are kinda rednecks when i had my dreads it was funny comments one after another. But i just looked at it as.I only have to listen to you say this a few times a year. So no big deal. haha
Valerie
@valerie
14 years ago
39 posts

yeah ihad to deal with this over the holidays. i wore a hat though :)

just ignore, and go off in your own world a couple days a year. ive been doing it since a kid when it comes to my family so why should it be different now? apparently your family is judgmental and that didnt just come about when your dread journey started. im sure youve been listening to it forever. youve had to figure out a way to tune them out by now.

then step 2- vent! and you got that down so u should be okay. its only a couple days a year u gatta deal with it.

ummm what works for me: i smoke before i get there :) try not to arrive too much before dinner starts, then stuff my face with food until i get tired lol so then i drowsily watch everyone open presents and listen to their stupid pointless banter. then i take a nap and think of how much worse christmas could be and it makes me feel better.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

haha i have my escapes too ..its too damn hot in here im gonna go sit outside ..haha

or just hang out with the kids

the kids dont judge they like my hair

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
j.boy
@jboy
14 years ago
47 posts
i jst fukn flip out and pick a fight..lmao...they quit bitchn or makin comments under there breath after awhile..lol..
bill
@bill
14 years ago
30 posts
in a word, babylon.
or so called "civilization"

it's best to think about it in a kinda buddhist way i think, accept that life is not easy life resists your actions and so if you want somthing to happen you will have to work for it, you want dreads? family ignorence is one of your first tests of will, trust me there'll be plenty more.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts

Dont feel like your family doesnt love you hon. Love and support can sometimesbe two different things in my experience. I lovedsomeone close to meeven when she wasa youngstripperdoing coke, though i did not support her decisions. Real talk. Granted, dreadlocks are a much milder example but i think you get my meaning.Some families are more outspoken then others with each other, but i still believe if it is your decision, particularly concerning something as innocent as your hair,they should not voice their discontent so much.

Also, time could make them more and more used to it.

ashley ✿
@ashley
14 years ago
167 posts
i deal with this all of the time from my mother brother and sister..but i've adapted a way of thinking that i am told is a very smart one..i just dont care! i mean honestly, why care what they think? you've been strong enough to be yourself, and make a choice that many people (even if you dont know them in real life) support..if you're ever feeling down about your family being big meanies, just come here, and look at the slide show of pictures on the main page, always gave me inspiration to keep at it whenever i was getting picked on cause of my dreads..i always say this though 'without the rain we'd never have rainbows,' and 'to fully enjoy the good in life we must experience the bad in it as well,' i actually remember the very first day that i had my dreads some guy said something about putting me back in the zoo, he was a complete stranger..i guess above all, dont worry about them, worry about yourself and the way YOU like how you look..but i understand how it can be upsetting that no one likes your choice :\ all but one of my family members says negative things about my hair..my aunt, who actually at one point in time had dreads always sticks up for me about my dreads, vegetarianism and now my brand new piercing..family will be family, you'll have your fights and your disagreements, so don't sweat it if someone is going to be ignorant about a buncha stuffs..
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form