Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does anyone surf?

vbzuesk
@vbzuesk
14 years ago
7 posts
I don't know if anyone can really help me out but it's worth a shot (: does anyone here surf in coldwater? I would like to know how people put on a hood with dreads. I mean. It's supposed to be water tight. I dunno. Any other advice on surfing in the winter would be helpful to. Thanks everyone.Oh, one more quick question. Does anyone know if suncure will work when it's about 40 degrees out? I don't want to mess these dings up anymore. Thanks again.
updated by @vbzuesk: 02/14/15 05:35:01AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

why surf inj winter brrrrrrr

hibernate in winter

whats suncure?

and

well

to put the hood on sounds painful to me but heres what id do 1st

u want to pull your dreads back and put on the wetsuite over em with the dreads inside the suite

next pull the hood on over your face (not head) pulling it back so it pulls all the hair towards the back where its tucked into the suite

next go around your face tucking uin anything that escaped

now if your dreads are new this is gonna tear em up a bit id bet

but again why surf in winter.. its cold to tell u to stay out of the watertill its hot again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
vbzuesk
@vbzuesk
14 years ago
7 posts
I was thinkinkg the same to myself. But I haven't surfed since early November. Imiss it. And I'd like to try surfing in the winter. I heard the breaks are a lot nicer and it's not as crowded. My dad has all the gear, so why not? I just don't know if anyone has had any bad expierences. Because the neoprene hood( like a wetsuit for your head) is pretty snug. Ha. Suncure is like an instant resin to cure dings in your surfboard.. But thank you for your advice, and Happy holidays.

soaringeagle said:

hibernate in winter

whats suncure?

and

well

to put the hood on sounds painful to me but heres what id do 1st

u want to pull your dreads back and put on the wetsuite over em with the dreads inside the suite

next pull the hood on over your face (not head) pulling it back so it pulls all the hair towards the back where its tucked into the suite

next go around your face tucking uin anything that escaped

now if your dreads are new this is gonna tear em up a bit id bet

but again why surf in winter.. its cold to tell u to stay out of the watertill its hot again

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

raw thats if u wanna keep dreads dry hes going in the water in freezing conditions so needs to purt on a wetsuit complete witth hood and the hoods tight as hell even on undreaded hair plus pulls down over your face

the hairs not meant to stay dry just trap a layer of water thats warmed up to keep u warm only a dry suite will keep u dry those are for like subzero artic diving

(theres a dude known as the iceman who swims under the icecaps unprotected and ran a marathon on the polar ice caps in his underwear by using yoga and medirarion to alter how he reacts to cold)

umm if your jonsing to surg so bad in windter head to the southern hemisphere where its summer now

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
vbzuesk
@vbzuesk
14 years ago
7 posts
The hood my dad has is seperate. 5mm I think. And I'm pretty far from vancouver. I'm in Virginia :) It's not nearly as cold here. The water's in the 40's- 30's. Mixed with the cold and wind. Brr. I see guys out there though. But do you know if the dreads around you just tied them back and squished them down? I don't know. I think I'm just worrying too much about damaging and pulling hair. I think it's possible to surf with dreads in winter. Or at least worth a shot. But thanks to you and everyone else for you advice. I appreiciate it alot (:

Knottysleeves said:

I live on Vancouver Island, and the west coast of the island (Tofino) is a mecca for winter surfing and storm-watching! I surfed there in August and damn it was cold, even with the thick wetsuit... I can't imagine doing it in December. But I get cold really easily, so I'm sure a normal-blooded surfer would be fine. :-) The diehard surfers seem to love going out in winter.

Anyways, all the winter-surfing dreadheads I've seen out here use a regular wetsuit with a separate hood, rather than the kind with the hood attached. I imagine it's easier to move their heads that way without having a huge bun of dreads smashed against their neck.

karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts

hey :)

I asked this question a while ago...I dont put a hood on but this is my first winter with dreads surfing (I only started both recently) i have been thinking of getting a neoprene headband (they exist for rugby i think) ive been unlucky enough to have had little or no surf opportunities in the last few weeks, last time I went in I just tried to ignore the ear pain and lasted about 1 1/2 hrs :-/

If you figure something out I look forward to hearing about it :)

Karen

karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts
If I didnt surf when it was cold id never surf LOL ireland is always cold :P

soaringeagle said:

hibernate in winter

karen
@karen
14 years ago
78 posts

Ive been saying for a while that someone needs to invent a dready surfers neoprene headband...I KNEW I wasnt the only one ;P if your super worried id say wear a fabric swim hat under the hood :)

Karen

christianvb said:

The hood my dad has is seperate. 5mm I think. And I'm pretty far from vancouver. I'm in Virginia :) It's not nearly as cold here. The water's in the 40's- 30's. Mixed with the cold and wind. Brr. I see guys out there though. But do you know if the dreads around you just tied them back and squished them down? I don't know. I think I'm just worrying too much about damaging and pulling hair. I think it's possible to surf with dreads in winter. Or at least worth a shot. But thanks to you and everyone else for you advice. I appreiciate it alot (:

vbzuesk
@vbzuesk
14 years ago
7 posts
Hey thanks or the reply. I'll look into a durag. And about suncure. I was debating about doing it yesterday, and I'm glad i didn't. We got like 18 inches of snow where I live. But it's supposed to be like 50 degrees in a week. Haha. Thanks again for the info though. I apprieciate it.

craig said:

i surf all year round in the uk spending about 5months a year in a hood. i now wear a durag under my hood just too stop me pulling hair when i take it off. seems to keep it together. it dont reli matter. u can allways by an extra large hood, and let your dreads hang out the back at the neck. it keeps the wind chill off and its needeed for those duck dives.

as for sucure resin it works all year but the key reli is in the name. heat wont make it go off. it can spend a week by a heater and still b tacky but 10mins in the sun itll b as hard as rock

vbzuesk
@vbzuesk
14 years ago
7 posts
I've got it lucky compared to you :P winter is pretty rough but all the other seasons are perfect (:

karen said:
If I didnt surf when it was cold id never surf LOL ireland is always cold :P

soaringeagle said:

hibernate in winter

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form