Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

would you cut off your dreds for your job

marshaun d clark
@marshaun-d-clark
14 years ago
4 posts
I been look down on for having locks since I had them its extremely hard to find a job and keep them I was told 3 weeks ago due to new management guys hair can't past there ears I worked there 5 months no problems these makes the third time I had to either take a demotion r been fired cause of racial conflicts hair its going to be a long journey but I'm not cutting my hair that will be like giving up on myself and everything I believe in freedom ancestry natural rights quote no metal whether tooth of comb or blade of scissor shall touch my hair!!!
updated by @marshaun-d-clark: 02/14/15 06:26:35AM
Steaze McGee
@steaze-mcgee
14 years ago
40 posts

No I would not either. I began growing my hair in the greatest choice of my life. I let it grow when I decided to leave the military because they would not let me be a conscientious objector. I joined the military to learn. Gandhi was a medic and I love my Gandhi. I wanted to learn from the inside, through experience and I did and then I made my choice. You can't oppose something unless you truly know it.

My father is from Iraq, he is an Iraqi Kurd. And the Kurds have gained many rights through US intervention but the US has also supplied many weapons used to kill Kurd in both Turkey and Iraq.

Hair to me is a symbol of freedom and self expression. It is one part of my resistance. To be forced to cut it is not only against the Laws but also a quick step in mind control.They call a uniform what the wear on the outside but it is what is on the inside that they want to be uniform. One cannot force the soul into shape because the soul is beyond form.

Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
No way my brother! If people are that ignorant then all u can do is feel sorry for them and pity them, pity there ignorance. Laugh at them. You shouldnt need an explanaton for your outer presentation!
marshaun d clark
@marshaun-d-clark
14 years ago
4 posts
Me cutting my hair is Like giving up my freedom giving up everything I believe in like I wasted 2 years of my life believing in something and just giving up on it I'm not a quitter I try to remain focus and think positive through it all and hope god blessed me in the end wit a job that understands that my hair is not a hairstyle its a lifestyle
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
To be honest people need to get over themselves at the end of the day its just hair, nice clean hair!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

they cannot do that by law you gave freedom of religios expression not to mention racial identity

it is illegal descrimination and u can sue theyre asses

they will take away your rights if u dont stand up for them so just tell them that its illegal and if they push it you will see them in court

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh and to answer the questionhell no i wouldntive always had very lil money or very lil use fort money but at times i was offered 10 times more then id ever had at 1 time and turned it downive turned down enough to put a down payment on a house (or in some states buy a house outright)ive been asked what i would take to cut mineaand i came to the conclusion that it would be selfish to turn down enough money to end world hunger create peace on earth and solve all the worlds problemsso if i was offered enough to at least end hunger in 1 entire contenant id cut them shorter..if it was enough to end it globaly id cut them offbut u better believe theyd be growing again imediately after

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Shanxon Lemasters
@shanxon-lemasters
14 years ago
411 posts
if it was a job I truly loved that was just "perfect" for me...then yes, something that I only mildly enjoyed....doubt it. My hair is just really starting its journey and I love it so much so I cannot think about cutting it to "conform" I would definately fight it!
meg ☮
@meg
14 years ago
92 posts
Not for a job, I wouldn't cut. My hair is completely unrelated to the skills I can provide a job. If an employer doesn't want to hire me because of my hairstyle, and disregards my abilities to do the job efficiently, then I don't want to be working for them.Of course, that's the ideal. If I'm in dire straits and I'm desperately in need of a job, then it's a different story. But I'll cross that bridge if I ever get to it.
Loc Lava
@loc-lava
14 years ago
42 posts
Ideally, the answer is no. But I do overstand the conflict.Would I cut mine? No, not for work. Fortunately, my fields are creative andusually allow for an amount of individuality and uniqueness.I am seeing more and more locs in professional fields and employed in general,which is a good thing. With more people locing up, more employers need to get over any personalissues they have with the look or their perception of the look.Then again, with unemployment the way it is, you may be more qualified but not chosen due to your hair. I think if you do cut your hair for work, that can lead to resentment and won't be worth it in the long run. Maybe it is best to try to find employment that fits you as you are. It is not easy. Really depends on your skills and location.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form