Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does section size and shape determine loc size and shape?

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts

Hey, guys!! Have been dreading (backcombed) since Oct 2 of this year. Seen lots of great progress thus far and have enjoyed the journey! I was reading a post a couple days ago about how the size of the section will determine the size of the loc. Is this true for shape of section as well? Most of mine are definitely rectangular ... about an inch by 1/2 inch. Does this mean that my locs will end up that shape? I have 53 right now, and certainly wouldn't mind having upwards of 70 (no more than that ... too hard to keep separated, yea?) ... so am contemplating combing out and starting over. I hadn't found this site when I first started and relied on what I saw on YouTube to get things rolling.Oy! My friend and I spent a whole day sectioning then backcombing, and of course had no idea that section size would be the end result size!! Ah, information!!! Anyway, I greatly appreciate the wisdom and information here, so any thoughts you have to share are welcomed and appreciated!!!! Thanks!!

updated by @dolly: 02/14/15 07:56:59AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

size yes shape nop shape makes no difference at all

have u ever seen square or rectangle dreads? but most ppl who backcombn do square sections for some reason

i can have sections that are stars hearts moons and clover shapes and they will almost all end up o shaped

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts

Awesome!!! Thanks, SE! Makes sense!!!

soaringeagle said:

size yes shape nop shape makes no difference at all

have u ever seen square or rectangle dreads? but most ppl who backcombn do square sections for some reason

i can have sections that are stars hearts moons and clover shapes and they will almost all end up o shaped

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts

Groovy!! Thanks for the encouragement! I started with them at waist length back in Oct and now my hair barely goes past my shoulders!! It feels like with how much they're shrinking that there's so much hair getting pulled up and in that they're going to be six inches in diameter!! Hahah! Of course they won't, but it's kinda wacky! It seems like they'd be harder and harder to separate as time goes on, which is why I was feeling compelled to do something about it now! However, after reading what you and SE wrote, I'm going to carry on with faith and sit back and enjoy the ride!!! Thanks again!!

Knottysleeves said:

The shape isn't really important, it's the size that matters. ;-)

Definitely don't start over! Worst case scenario, in three or six more months you can always split some of the rectangular ones into squares if they're still bothering you.

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts

Yeah, it's crazy, for sure!! My hair grows super fast, though, so even if they shrink into nothing, they'll come back fast!!

I got a couple sleeves from you a little while back and love them!!! My fave is a dark blue one with a goddess/fertile woman on it. Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!!! :) Your locs look amazing ... how many do you have, or roughly how big were your sections when they started?

Knottysleeves said:

That's a lot of shrinkage, wow. Your dreads are going to be epic!

You never know... once they stop shrinking and get heavy, they might very well "stretch" out again once the knots settle in.

Dolly said:

Groovy!! Thanks for the encouragement! I started with them at waist length back in Oct and now my hair barely goes past my shoulders!! It feels like with how much they're shrinking that there's so much hair getting pulled up and in that they're going to be six inches in diameter!! Hahah! Of course they won't, but it's kinda wacky! It seems like they'd be harder and harder to separate as time goes on, which is why I was feeling compelled to do something about it now! However, after reading what you and SE wrote, I'm going to carry on with faith and sit back and enjoy the ride!!! Thanks again!!

Knottysleeves said:

The shape isn't really important, it's the size that matters. ;-)

Definitely don't start over! Worst case scenario, in three or six more months you can always split some of the rectangular ones into squares if they're still bothering you.

RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts

the section shape does make the size of the lock change,

rectangle will mean your dreads will be slightly oval, nothing to worry about!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

what why would the section shape change the dread shape it doesnt

but it affects the size in that the size is the average of the length/width

if u have a 1x1/2 the dread will be 3/4

but will be round

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts

simple maths,

if one side is bigger of the rectangle, than the "circle" will be oval shaped, doesnt take a rocket scientist.

take it to an extreme and image a dude with 10" x 1", that would be massively flat..

thats an extreme, so the case of this, the dread will be slightly oval,

Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts
Thanks, all!! I guess it's a matter of "let's wait and see"!!!
Dolly
@dolly
14 years ago
49 posts
Yeah, that's me! Hahah! No worries ... lots of peeps to keep track of! I'll be glad when my locs thicken up a bit to hold those sleeves on even better!!! They're soooo beautiful! Great to know about how many you have ... cuz I could be super happy if mine looked like yours ... and I've got 53 now. I know everyone's hair is so so different, but for a ballpark feel that's cool! Thanks!!!!

Knottysleeves said:,

Ooooh, you must be AsmiDolly on Etsy then? Sorry, I didn't make the connection until now! So glad you love your sleeves, thanks for letting me know!

Thanks for the kind words. I think I have about 55 dreads now? I started out with 43, but I split quite a few this year.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form