Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

loctician dread disaster (yet again)

Tyler2
@tyler2
14 years ago
19 posts

I got my locs started by a "loctician" 5 days ago. I am on day 6 and have tried to attach pics but to no avail. The picture to the left is the most recent picture from yesterday. Anyway, I'm not too sure how she started them, but she made them pencil thin and then braided two of each togtether, and then rubberbanded those and put them back in a pony tail. No wax was used. I was told not to touch for two weeks, then to take out the rubber bands but keep it back in a pony tail. Why keep them back and tied up for that time period? I think the method was a combination of palmrolling and backcombing, I have wavy/curly hair that tends to knot up on its own when left untouched. Is it concerning that they are so thin? I dont want any breakage, also, is it concerning that I'm not supposed to be twisting or palmrolling or doing anything to then am all? I'm just supposed to come by and see her whenever im worried, and to definitly check in in a month or two. I'm worried all the time though, I want them to knot up! Thanks for any info/advice. Also, I have alot of loose hairs flying everywhere, is that bad as well?

file 1 is day 1

file 2 is day 5

updated by @tyler2: 02/14/15 03:39:54AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts

Hi! Welcome to the site. Hmmm...I honestly have never seen anything like that. I'm not even sure they're dreads? Maybe someone else with more info on this technique could be of more help than me but if I were you i would take everything she did out and start over now. Get the bands out immediately and wash your hair whenever you want to. If your hair knots up easily than take out all the braids etc and allow your hair to dread naturally. You never want to keep your hair in a constant ponytail when beginning dreads. Palm rolling and twisting do more harm then good so forget about that. If you don't want to go natural you could twist & rip or backcomb but I think with your hair type natural would be the best choice.

Natty Dave
@natty-dave
14 years ago
56 posts
that's, just weird. all these loctitions seem silly, and they usually don't do anything but steal your money and keep you coming back to make deposits.they look thin, but pulled back it's hard to tell, and wearing your hair pulled back all the time can create weak spots in the dreads that can cause them to break so it's odd they would tell you that, that on top how thin they made them, sounds like they want you to be worried so you keep coming back and giving them your money. and if they are braided together then tied up and rubberbanded, the hair can't move and the movement is what creates knots, also, the rubberbands will cause hairs to break so you may want to get those out sooner than later.if your hair was backcombed you should be fine if you take them out of the pony tail, unbraid them and remove the rubber bands; the ends may unravel some but let them do their thing and they'll knot up. with it being 5 days in it wouldn't be to much to comb out and redo them but if you would rather not there are ways to combine them as well, or you can just not separate them and let them congo over time.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

what the hell did she do yo u grt your monety back

1 u never ever want to trust a loctician

2 never want to keep rhem in a ponytail unless u want 1 single dread

3 take out the rubber bands

4 i dunno what she was thinking thats all wrong

5 and most important u said your hair tangles on its own why would u pay anyone to tangle it of it does it itself

6 u do not want to palm rol;l or twist just leave em alone free to move no pony tail no braiding just let em dread

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Chels ;)
@chels
14 years ago
37 posts
i agree totally..get your money back.. dosent that pony tail hurt?? urrgh she really had no clue what she was doing. i lookedf at many many methods of dreading hair and ive never seen or heard anyone doing that

soaringeagle said:

what the hell did she do yo u grt your monety back

1 u never ever want to trust a loctician

2 never want to keep rhem in a ponytail unless u want 1 single dread

3 take out the rubber bands

4 i dunno what she was thinking thats all wrong

5 and most important u said your hair tangles on its own why would u pay anyone to tangle it of it does it itself

6 u do not want to palm rol;l or twist just leave em alone free to move no pony tail no braiding just let em dread

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

i have a freind a jazz musician

he kept his in a ponytail to let it dread

hes got 1 ponytail dread

thats it

all his hair on his heads pulled back into 1 dread

that lady screwed u and has no idea what shes doing and thats the silliest mess i ever saw

all locticians cause disasters and icve seen alotta really incredibly dumb shit done by locticians but this is just silly

i really believe locticians screw u on purpose to rip u off keep u comming back for repairs and keep u a slave to the whole hairdresser industry

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

why would u go to a loctician whats she do yo u theres nothing a loctician can do thaty should be done how can a loctician leave your hair alone unlerss u just diont go

--
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
Yeah...Don't bother with locticians. They're job seems kind of pointless."Hey. If you pay me, I can make your hair look like you haven't brushed it in years. But you'll have to come back every month to maintain a look that makes you look like you don't maintain your hair at all...":P
Tyler2
@tyler2
14 years ago
19 posts

I took it out of the pony tail and took off the bands except to hold 2 strands together each. They actually look like their locking a bit. Pictures when I get home. How should I take care of them now?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

palm rolling does nothing

but u do want to remove all rubber bands the 1's holding the strands together too

if u need anythuing add a bead not band

wash when u want the baking soda is the gentlest way no scrubbing at all

leave emalone and seperate any that try to join at the roots

if u had em in a ponytaiol for days id seperate now so u dont get them all joining

--
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form