Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

herbs good for your head and dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts

Rinses and/or soaks: boil a handful of herbs in a medium pot filled with water. Boil for 15-30 minutes until its a dark, strong tea. Strain and save the tea. Allow it to cool, then soak your dreads and scalp. You can let it soak for 30 minutes before rinsing with apple cider vinegar, then water, or rinse right away if you're short on time.Nettle & Rosemary-a fragrant stimulant for the scalp. It prevents dandruff and promotes hair growthSage or Fennel- good conditioners with no residue or greasinessParsely: clears up dandruffNettles: excelent to treat dandruffMint Tonic: before you shampoo your dreads, massage in the following tea. Put 2 tablespoons of dried mint into 1 cup of water and half a cup of vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes. Steep with a lid on the pot until the tea is cool. Strain and massage tea into scalp. Stimulates the scalp, prevents dandruff and promotes hair growth.Oily Dreads: Use this as a final rinse. Put half a cup of rosemary into 1 and a half cups of water. Bring to a full boil, then simmer for 15 minutes. Let it sit for 24 hours, covered. Strain, bottle and use every other day for 1-2 weeks. Thereafter, use it once a week.Dandruff Treatment: In a seperate container, mix 1 cup burdock leaves, 1 cup chamomile,and half a cup sage leaves. Pour 2 quarts of apple cider vinegar into a gallon jar. Add the herb mixture to the vinegar. Let it stand for 2 weeks. Strain and apply to scalp once a day. Do not rinse off. Let it dry on your dreads. Wait until the next day to rinse out.Dandruff treatment: Add 4 tablespoons of nettles to 1 pint boiling water. Steep overnight. Strain and add 1 cup of apple cider vinegar. Massage into scalp. Do not rinse out.Darkens Hair: Pour 1 cup of boiling water over 3 tablespoons of rosemary. Let it stand overnight. Strain and use as a final rinse.Rinse for Redheads: To prepare the rinse: pour 4 cups of boiling water over 1 cup of calendula flowers. Let stand for 30 minutes. Strain off the flowers and use the liquid as a final rinse after shampooing. Catch the runoff, and use liquid to rinse again, repeating at least 20 times. Let dreads dry in the sun.Darken Grey Hair: Pour 1 cup boiling water over 4 tablespoons of dried sage. Let it steep overnight. Combine with 1 cup black tea and work into hair every night until colour desired is reached.Lighten Hair: Pour 1 quart boiling water over 1/2 cup chamomile flowers. Let it steep 30 minutes. Add the juice of 2 lemons. Have a basin ready to catch the rinse,as you will need to repeat it at least 20 times. Pour directly on clean hair as a rinse.Mould & Mildew remedies:Dry your dreads in the sun as often as possible.Add 1 cup of thyme to 1 quart of water. Bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Strain and let it cool. Use as a rinse/soak for your dreads.Mix 1/4 cup water with 1/2 cup white vinegar and a few drops of tea tree and lavender essential oils in a spray bottle. Spray on your dreads-do not rinse out! The vinegar smell will dissappear as it evaporates.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 06:38:06AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
your a redhead? with those eyes? wow..what a combo Knottysleeves said:
Never heard of using calendula for redheads... gotta try that one! Thanks!

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
but your natural colors more like it is now right? Knottysleeves said:
Used to be, with the help of henna! (See pic in my photos...) My hair's getting a lot darker now that I'm older though. I'd love to have lighter brown or bright red again but I don't think it's gonna happen.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
ya dont need to it is perfect on u Knottysleeves said:
soaringeagle said:
but your natural colors more like it is now right?

Yeah, it's faded to dark brown now. I've been using henna for a long time though so I'm not able to lighten it.

--
Buffalo Rogers
@buffalo-rogers
14 years ago
46 posts
Wow I've never heard of a lot of these! Can't wait to try some of the dandruff stuff out... I've been having some issues with it since I started dreads
DiPSouLion
@dipsoulion
14 years ago
11 posts
Great mixtures SE!give thanks
labmofgod
@labmofgod
14 years ago
94 posts
where do you find nettles?
Jaime Adams
@jaime-adams
14 years ago
2 posts
Nettles....you mean nettles like stinging nettles???? Like the ones you find near fresh water sources??I have tons of those near my house but eh....picking them? ouch! How would you put that in your hair without the little stickers stinging your scalp?
Jennifer Rose
@jennifer-rose
14 years ago
59 posts
I've got nettles/rosemary/peppermint sitting on my head right now... have had some itching and flakiness lately, so I'm hoping it will help. I love this thread, as I consider myself a bit of a kitchen witch and am always brewing one concoction or another lol.There's some good info on using catnip tea both for strengthening and adding moisture to hair... I used it on my last set of dreads and it definitely helped without adding residue. It's also antibacterial and antifungal. Here's an article about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118 Hope this helps someone.Jenn
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
You wouldn't actually use the plant in its raw state but rather the essential oils or an oil infused with the herb. Jaime Adams said:
Nettles....you mean nettles like stinging nettles???? Like the ones you find near fresh water sources??
I have tons of those near my house but eh....picking them? ouch! How would you put that in your hair without the little stickers stinging your scalp?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form