Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing dreadING hair

Danny2
@danny2
14 years ago
18 posts

So if your hair is not yet dreaded but dreads are beginning to form, do you want to wash even less (in terms of frequency and/or how thoroughly) than you would if your hair was actually in dreads? I am undergoing some trial n error wit this. About a week ago it seemed i had made great progress all the sudden and it was exciting... my hair is short but people were like "ohh i see, your growing dreads nice" etc lol, n of course i could see n feel them coming along. Sounds gross, but I had refrained from washing (other than some salt water spraying to wet down my bed-head some mornings) and it seemed this was the difference that caused things to speed along. I went about 1.5- 2 weeks no washing. Oddly enough, dandruff actually decreased, and no noticeable bad smell etc. One day I noticed my hair had a very slight oily feeling and i was thinking a thorough wash would do some good since it had been so long. Washed thoroughly w/ liquid Dr. Bronner's (tea tree, diluted as suggested) (and in past i have preferred the bar form as shampoo, going back to before i ever started dreading my hair). I did not srub or "comb" through my hair i was gentle about it, i rinsed thoroughly. Maybe this part is where i went so wrong- I felt my hair being able to swing while wet when i was moving my head...for some reason i decided to "shake dry" like a wet dog would instead of having to take a towel to my head or deal with many hours of wet hair if i were to air dry. I think this shook apart knots that were forming, that was the end result of the wash anyway, whether or not this step was most responsible. My hair went back to square one almost : ( . Also- my hair felt way more oily than before i washed it afterward, and dandruff returned and like tripled over the following couple days. I washed a few more days in a row with just water to try to rid this oily feel, and one day i did a heavy apple cider rinse for the dandruff/scalp distress (helped). I have now gone a couple days without washing and my hair is starting to get dready again (have used some light salt water spraying to help it dry out- this doesnt seem to irritate my scalp at all oddly enough). Dandruff is subsiding. Picked up a bar of eucalyptus dr. bronner's, i think tea tree and my scalp dont agree at all lol. I like the way the bar is foamy and lathery instead of watery and oily, it seems to rinse out better? anyone know a good general guideline for washing frequency at this stage of the game? any personal experiences/insights? any/all appreciated :) I don't want to regress days/weeks of progress from a single fn wash! geez. lol.

updated by @danny2: 01/13/15 08:51:35PM
Danny2
@danny2
14 years ago
18 posts

thank you very much, very helpful post :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form