Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dread thickness?

Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts

I know dreads are said to become as thick around as the roots are big, but I wanted to know if this is true of all hair types. I backcombed three and a half months ago and wanted larger dreads, so I made most of the root sections about an inch thick, some are a little bigger, some are much smaller (I also wanted a variety). I am thus far SO in love with my baby dreads, so simple, and easy, and loopy, and just wonderful!

I have always had thin hair, there is quite a lot of it, but it is QUITE thin and fine... With this type of hair will my dreads still thicken up? (I have about 23 of them) I'm not really looking for anything I can DO to them, I wouldn't want to even if there was something I could do, I'm just looking for some sort of reassurance.

updated by @rae: 01/13/15 08:51:33PM
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts

They should do !! U only have 23 thats mad i got like 62 !

Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts

@ Jack -- Yeah, I figured if they were too thick for my liking I would just split them, but like I said, I wanted thick ones. (-:

@ KnottySleeves -- I guess I hadn't thought of the hairs I would normally shed every day. haha I'm really glad they will thicken up, I'm enjoying the process, but you're right, having never done this before I'm not really sure what to expect. But I don't mind the wait. (-:

Thanks for the encouragement, both of you! I wasn't expecting a response for a while, it is pretty late here.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts

they will be pretty thick 23 will be big 4 sure

shed hairds dont really make much diference its the shrinkage and bundeling of hairs that cause the thickening

when a dreads 1st knotted the knotting is loose and altho the hairs knotted most are relatively paralel but as they tighten and shrink those hairs are so twisted up the hhairs that were mostly verticle are more closely to horizontal packed in tight bundles im not explaining it well but they shrink and fatten at the same time by the rearanfing if the hairs

a 1/4 inch thick bany can swell to over an inch this way

but the overall hairs lost in a ;ifetime for an entire head not just a single dread would barely be 1/4 inch

if shed hairs thickened dreads theyd get thicker and thicker a lifetime not just the 1st 8 months

but the reality is they only swell as they shrink and once they finnish shtinking theyre bout as thick as they will ever be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
RootsRasta
@rootsrasta
14 years ago
64 posts

guys

dread thickness depends on hair density, thats why when you use a 1" section size, some are larger than others,,

I used 3/4" and some are thicker than others, i seriously doubt the thickness will be the same size as the root square, a lil thinner

Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Ad SE thanks for the explanation, I like know just what is going on. It's cool that my hair will do all this on my own, but I like KNOWING "for reals" what is going on. You described it really well. (-:

Mal
@mal
14 years ago
15 posts
I just counted all my dreads for the first time.. after 4 months of having them, i didn't realize i had so many, im up there with around 65+.. they've definitely thickened up a little in past months, some are still really thin (slighting thinner then a pencil)FWIW; i have a similar hair type to yours, thin hair, lots of it.. but still thinn'ish, and this was a main concern of mine, so yours been only 23 should thicken up awesomely.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form