Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how to make & use a seasalt spray for dread babies?

asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
I tnr'd about 3 weeks ago, and they're separated out pretty nicely. They get loose & I have super fidgety hands, so I keep playing with them and am feeling alot of smooth ends (my hair is naturally pretty straight & smooth) I'm seeing some posts about seasalt sprays, and was curious how to make and use something like that? I'm assuming it would dry your hair out and help it lock up better. the ends of my dreads are pretty smooth & shiny after i wash them. which is fine, because i want to leave a little curl at the end, but i also don't want them to come completely undone.. I know there's alot of talk about just lettin your hair do what it wants, but I'd just like to know what this sray's all about.thanks :][i attached a picture of what they look like now, it's a shitty webcam pic so it's not real clear but i tried to push some of them up so you can see how they're lose at the ends & tighter higher up]
updated by @asalaam: 01/13/15 08:50:58PM
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I have a small spray bottle, holds about 2 cups of water, and I put just a small pinch or two of sea salt into the bottle. You shouldn't leave the salt in for long periods of time, because as you noted above it can dry everything out pretty bad. I like to spray in the mornings, let it dry, go about my day, sleep on it, then rinse the next morning. I only do it once or twice a week. No real need for any more than that.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
I have heard here in the forums to leave it on only for a couple hours then wash it thoroughly. This to me makes the most sense. In the past the few times i did try to leave it on all day and night but lets just say...the results were not pretty.
asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
I hate to ask the obvious haha but what happened?
asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
and also are the results really that drastic/visable or do you guys think it's better to just leave it alone..
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Leaving it on longer can be damaging for some hair types, my hair is especially oily and it doesn't seem to hurt to leave on for about 24 hours. Other hair types can be dried out badly by leaving it in, it's one that you'll just have to find out what works for you.The results aren't THAT drastic, but proper use (for your hair) should help the dreading process along a bit faster, but not overnight by any means.
asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
thanks
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Well ur right Alden i guess it depends on the hair really. I have thick nappy african hair which tends to be dry and brittle as it is if not cared for right, so when i put the sea salt in i over used and my scalp broke out in dandruff,mixed with poorly mixed sea salt, and y hair felt like burnt straw for a couple weeks. It was bad but oviously results may vary.
asalaam
@asalaam
14 years ago
14 posts
I made a mixture of seasalt, lemon juice, and water with a couple drops of tea tree oil, sprayed it lightly on my dreads [avoiding my roots & scalp] and took a blow dryer to it. my hair is generally babyfine, so this roughened it up quite nice. it's been a couple days since i've applied it & nothing bad is seeming to happen, + it seems like its helping my ends lock up better. i guess we'll see what happens!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form