Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hmm well the crochet has made em look weird in a way they will recoverbut crochet recovery takes a long long timeyour hairs actualy very perfect for natural dreading as long as u keep it from becomming a dread helmeti think either way u go they'll turn out fineid recomend trying to loosen em up some so they can dread right instead of cutting and starting overbut in the end whatever u think u should do u shoulddo

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
O'Callaghan
@ocallaghan
14 years ago
57 posts
I think your dreads look unique, they're not necessarily bad or weird! Some conditioning should help them to move around and do their thing :) don't give up yet!
Tracey Anderson
@tracey-anderson
14 years ago
2 posts
When I started my dreads 10 years ago, I twisted, untwisted and twisted again before I finally left them alone to just dread. Some might have been too thick so I untwisted and retwisted until I was satisfied with the thickness of each dread. You see, you will be living with however your dreads end up so if they are thick now, they are going to be thick, if not thicker, after they have dreaded. I'm glad I took the time back then since I wanted to be able to wear my dreads parted down the middle, parted on the side, or just pulled back. Also, I advise staying away from wax and oils. We need moisture, not grease on our hair. I use the same cream/moisturizer I use after my bath on my hair. I also brush my dreads daily with a super soft brush. Good luck!
Ashley Ross
@ashley-ross
14 years ago
4 posts
I think that you should just leave your hair alone and give it time. Condition them and pick them out with a rat-tailed comb if you can... but don't resort to cutting. That will set you waaaaay back. I personally don't think your dreads look bad at all. Eventually, they will dread, you just need to be patient. If you feel that you must resort to cutting, I would only cut off a little bit, off of each dread, every two weeks... like... a gradual process. My hair was permed, (I'm a girl, btw, lol) and i gradually cut off my hair every two weeks as opposed to chopping it all off to grow my hair out naturally to dread it. So... do one of those options instead. My hair is super springy (I'm black Lol) just like yours and I can imagine how it would feel to have to cut off, what took so long to grow.... so weigh out all of your options before you go for the big chop. but trust me... if you leave your hair alone EVENTUALLY it WILL dread.
Thundersquall
@thundersquall
14 years ago
235 posts
Im honestly suprised that your hair hasnt dreaded after eight damn months bruh cause it looks clean and locked up in the pics (at least to my noobish eyes). I cant say if u need to start over i would think even tho u did use that method hair will be like "Forget about it im hair, i do what i want"...Meaning in time i would think it would be just fine, though maybe the end result look a little different then if you had gone natural from the begining. I personalyl wouldnt cut mine just cause black hair seems to look and grow so slowly to begin with but thats just me.
Murphy the rasta
@murphy-the-rasta
14 years ago
58 posts
hey brother.dont cut them, let em do their own thing...they look good
dreadlockedlady
@dreadlockedlady
14 years ago
39 posts
Congrats on your decision. You got to do what makes you happy and gets you healthy dreads in the end.
Cage Free
@cage-free
14 years ago
41 posts

Tracey Anderson said:
I use the same cream/moisturizer I use after my bath on my hair. I also brush my dreads daily with a super soft brush. Good luck!
What cream/moisturizer do you use? I'd also like to hear about brushing your locks. How does this affect them? Very interesting!
updated by @cage-free: 07/23/15 05:05:00PM
Tracey Anderson
@tracey-anderson
14 years ago
2 posts

I woke up one day, a few years into having my dreads, and just wanted to brush my hair. I missed the stimulation to my scalp. At first I used a regular hair brush but noticed more hair than I wanted, ended up in the brush! So I treated myself to a silver backed super soft brush (with matching silver back mirror, of course!) and began to brush my dreads. I try not to brush toward the scalp if my scalp is dry because moisturizer keeps the hair close the scalp from breaking.I make my own moisturizer for hair and body and have eliminated both a dry scalp and dry skin (took a lot of experimenting to get it right). If I moisturize my scalp, it last about two days, if I don't wash my hair (by the way, I don't wash my dreads every day). I've had a lot of people ask about the moisturizer and can senda sample if you like, just need postage. Twice a year I cut my hair to even it out: in the Fall and Spring, never the dog days of August (old wives tale)!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form