Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

backomb update

nick masotti
@nick-masotti
14 years ago
20 posts
hi ive had my dreads for about a month now and some of them are really starting to lock up well..im getting loops and what-not at my roots..ive redone them 4 times in the last month to ensure they stay locked by using the backcombing method..im worried however that my hairs in the center of my head that are skew from the dreads will not lock..should i just shutup and wait or try to get em in to the dreads
updated by @nick-masotti: 01/13/15 08:50:47PM
nick masotti
@nick-masotti
14 years ago
20 posts
is me backcombing them again gunna make my dreads in the future unhealthy?

Knottysleeves said:
Oooops... you're only supposed to backcomb once, to kickstart the process. It's totally normal for some of it to unravel and loosen up. Re-backcombing constantly won't help it lock, in fact it will undo a lot of the progress your hair is making naturally.

Just leave it alone and don't mess with them anymore. They'll loosen up and re-knot and maybe unravel a bit again over the next few months... this is all part of the dreading process, so don't mess with it. See the FAQ for more info on this. Good luck!
Natty Dave
@natty-dave
14 years ago
56 posts
if you keep backcombing they are going to take forever to mature. every time you re-backcomb you basically start the dread over because you a pulling the hair from old knots that are establishing themselves and creating new ones. stop freaking out about the looseness and chill, hair dreads, that what it does naturally, let it go and let them develop some more, you've barely gotten you toes in the water

nick masotti said:
is me backcombing them again gunna make my dreads in the future unhealthy?

Knottysleeves said:
Oooops... you're only supposed to backcomb once, to kickstart the process. It's totally normal for some of it to unravel and loosen up. Re-backcombing constantly won't help it lock, in fact it will undo a lot of the progress your hair is making naturally.

Just leave it alone and don't mess with them anymore. They'll loosen up and re-knot and maybe unravel a bit again over the next few months... this is all part of the dreading process, so don't mess with it. See the FAQ for more info on this. Good luck!
Daveovthedead
@daveovthedead
14 years ago
20 posts
yea man. I wouldn't worry about it. It's only been a month. Expect to be frusted for the first 6 months. It's all butter once they have the groove
Brandon Arnold
@brandon-arnold
14 years ago
184 posts
I kept twisting and ripping for the first few weeks and then I read about how bad it was and how I'm just tearing knots apart.It's totally true, and I kicked the habit of it not too long ago. And now, I keep my hands busy with keeping them from congo-ing!So just ignore it. no more back combing!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form