Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello everyone!

Carissa Lou
@carissa-lou
14 years ago
4 posts
Hi everyone! I'm Carissa and new here (obviously :D ).I have been in dreads for almost 8 months now. This is my second time having them, and hope to keep them for many years to come this time around. They for the most part are doing good, but I have tons of issues/questions I'd like to get help with (eventually).I posted some pictures to start with in my profile.I'm sure I'll run into lots of good people here, and hope to make some new friends!Look forward to talking with everyone! :D
updated by @carissa-lou: 02/14/15 07:14:08AM
Randy
@randy
14 years ago
9 posts
Welcome! You're dreads look great but if you're using wax you should strongly consider stopping. Nothing good ever comes out of using that stuff.. check around for yourself around the site and get on wax removal as soon as possible if that's the case! Good luck :)
Carissa Lou
@carissa-lou
14 years ago
4 posts
Thank you :) Definitely going to look further into the not using wax method.I was starting to question wax's integrity after the last time using it and seeing no improvement in fuzzies, loops in the dreads, or ends locking up.Fortunately, I just scrubbed them down last night and haven't rewaxed yet. The feeling of all the loose hairs without waxing is certainly something I'm going to have to get used to though, lol!I think for the middle of the dreads where it isn't dreaded at all I'll probably have to comb them out and start over, unless there's another fix I'm overlooking.Also- I figured wax was the only way I could save baby dreads. I'm talking about the ones right around my ears and right above my neck. They're more regular hair than not, and everytime I backcomb them, even after rolling/twisting them, they're back to un-dreadedness. Any suggestions for that?
Carissa Lou
@carissa-lou
14 years ago
4 posts
Thank you Rawsum :)Last time I had dreads I had them for 4.5 years. The reason I had to quit them is because I moved from Minnesota to Arizona and stopped wax when I moved there. I don't know if this really stressed my dreads or what, but they were breaking like crazy. I mean, I was losing 2+ inches per week! Awful time, it was.I really do hope to get rid of loops, bumps and zig zags (eventually). Loose hairs getting locked would be awesome as well. It sounds like doing away with wax is really the key! :) I'm also not as much worried about the previously mentioned as the messed up dreads that are 100% locked except the middle, which is just unlocking the bottoms.Will look into those links for help! Thanks again!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok dreads cant be forced stop backcimbing stop rolling stop everything just get the wax out wax is preveniting dreading only making u have to work yoir ass off for no resultsget the wax out and once your wax free they will dread wothout any effort at all

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
loops and bumpsa are a good thing loops mean they are dreadingwax dreads usualy get cut by 3-4 yewarswax is dread deathonce the wax is gone they will dread beauttilfully naturaly withiut all the work u do now

Carissa Lou said:
Thank you Rawsum :)

Last time I had dreads I had them for 4.5 years. The reason I had to quit them is because I moved from Minnesota to Arizona and stopped wax when I moved there. I don't know if this really stressed my dreads or what, but they were breaking like crazy. I mean, I was losing 2+ inches per week! Awful time, it was.

I really do hope to get rid of loops, bumps and zig zags (eventually). Loose hairs getting locked would be awesome as well. It sounds like doing away with wax is really the key! :) I'm also not as much worried about the previously mentioned as the messed up dreads that are 100% locked except the middle, which is just unlocking the bottoms.

Will look into those links for help! Thanks again!

--
Carissa Lou
@carissa-lou
14 years ago
4 posts
Sounds good to me! And thank you for the all the helpful suggestions!I am about 98% sure all the wax is out.Last night I scrubbed them for almost an hour with Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap (peppermint feels so nice!). Anything you recommend along side that? It's the only soap I've ever used to clean them.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well wax can dsurvive a decade of scrubbi8ng its really evil crapin the menu see the wax removaltheres 2 options 1 cheap 1 expensive if u used wax only 1-5 times lress then usual u can maybe use the cheap soap and be fine but if u used it for months u might want to use the body splash sprayboth are good at removing wax better then even dish soaps

--
Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts
Hey! Welcome to the forum, it's a great place to pick up tips and get advice. I'd have screwed everything up without this place! hahaI'll echo what SE said, don't worry about loose hairs. I backcombed three months or so ago and have hairs falling out of dreads lots of places. I kinda like them, adds personality. It hasn't been very long for me, but I've already noticed the hairs next to my ears dreading into the closest locks.You should look around at all the pics on here, just browsing profiles and such, most people love just letting go of all control over their hair and watching all the loops and bumps that form. It's Amazing what your hair willl do once free of wax!Good luck, and enjoy!
Betty Weg
@betty-weg
14 years ago
13 posts
Hello and welcome :)IHave fun on your second round of dreads!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form