Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

My dreads are too small

Camilla Ry
@camilla-ry
14 years ago
15 posts
Well I started a little over a month ago. From start I wanted small dreads, don't know why, perhaps I thought they would look more conform or something.Well I cant complain about my dreads, they behave and are starting to loop and loock a tiny bit allready, and the stay within the very small sections I made.So whats the problem then? It's me, I want dreads because I think the are beautifull and because I think the idea of dreads gives meaning to how I fell about my self - so it's not at all to be conform, and now I think they are to small.I just love that thet are allready starting to lock and dread for real, but I'm thinking og combing them all out and making bigger sections.But I could also try to join/congo them. I've allready tried that with a couple of the smallest, I just collected them with a bead and Tn'R the end together, but how much can I do that, some of my dreads are fine but I would be doing it a lot, to get the sizes I wan't and I'm afraid that my sections would look really odd and perhaps give some uneven tear on the roots.And one more question, schould I join/congo them now or when they have dreaded if I choose thatWhat would you recommend?
updated by @camilla-ry: 02/14/15 07:02:05AM
Camilla Ry
@camilla-ry
14 years ago
15 posts
Thanks, I'll just let them be then. I'm just so hooked on decorating them, and right now they are to small for most beads and definately to small for the pretty, pretty sleves I've fallen in love with on etsy (judging by your name, made by you)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
she makes gresat sleevesdreads at 1 month can be 3 times thicker aty 6count the dreadsif say u have 30 they are gonna be nice size 50 mediumist to thinover 100 is real thinu can let some stay thin some c9ongoif u wanna join em measure the sections at the roots dont combine any yet bigger then a nickleif they are pensil size let them joinafter 8 months they will thicken most of the way and u can judge then what ones are still too thin

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
it is funny...many people with fatter dreads wish they had skinny ones...many with skinny wish theirs were fatter..i think it is all "what is greener is over the other side of the fence". Dreads have kinda sucky stages for a while.....and it takes years for them to mature. That is why it is called a journey...sit back and enjoy it. Your dreads will look like your dreads and your dreads alone. That is what makes them beautiful and unique.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
sooooo true
and
my best freind for instance
for months she asked everyone to help her backcomb her waiste length hair
noone did
we went to a gathering 2 weeks in the woods withiut a comb and 2 washes in a mountasin streeam and 4 very very scraggly thin funky dreads sjhowed up
pathetic weak looking dreads

but
she stayed in the woods a month after i left
when i next saw her her whole head was dreads but still thin scrafgers

a year later they shrink from waist to easrs and thickened up to be really fat..too fat she saus
shes got just 12 dreads (or 16? i think 12) very fat

count yours u bet u anything they are thicker then u think

taye said:
it is funny...many people with fatter dreads wish they had skinny ones...many with skinny wish theirs were fatter..i think it is all "what is greener is over the other side of the fence". Dreads have kinda sucky stages for a while.....and it takes years for them to mature. That is why it is called a journey...sit back and enjoy it. Your dreads will look like your dreads and your dreads alone. That is what makes them beautiful and unique.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
She has at least 100 dreadlocks and she started her set with twist and rip also.

As everyone has stated count how many you have and they will get thicker. Having dreadlocks means you have to be patient with yourself.

My dreadlocks where started with twist and rip and I have at least 100 dreadlocks also.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
yep you're still really new to dreading so don't worry about the thickness. Give them a few more months then decide weather or not to join them up. It's much easier to congo them then it is to rip them apart. If you're still unhappy with the thickness in 6 months tie some hemp in a criss cross pattern around the ones you want to connect and leave them for another month or so. Then remove the hemp and they'll probably be joined. But for now just stop worrying! ;o)
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
you just started a month ago... mine trippled in fattiness from the time they were a month old, and i'm only 5 months in.
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts

GoldenEagle said:
She has at least 100 dreadlocks and she started her set with twist and rip also.

I am this 'she' and I have approx 140-160 dreadlocks. I haven't updated my photos in 2 months--life is too busy to stand still for a photo at the moment. I LOVE my dreadlocks and they are very thin-medium and LOOPY as all hell right now :) many of them are still as they were when I first TnR'd but most are bulking up and crazy twisty, loopy. I only have a few in the very front of my hairline (forehead) that concern me as to being too thin and I am thinking of combining them or combing them out and re sectioning them bigger. Don't stress about your dreadlocks--just be easy. I wash 1x a week and separate them after each wash a day or two later. I haven't let any congo and I have lost half of my length in 4 months. I will update photos tonight.
tatyananashi
@tatyananashi
14 years ago
145 posts
How big are your sections? Only being 1 month in you are far from how your dreads will end up, and they will thicken up, they do it during the loopy/shrinkage stage and they may double back up and shrink in length but they will get fatter. You have more options starting with thin dreads than with thick sections, because you can always congo them together. If you really want to congo, the earlier the better, they will combine faster since they aren't tangled up so much yet. But they will definitely thicken up, so you don't have to congo unless you really want to.Everybody's dreads are different. I have thin hair so in order to backcomb I pulled some pretty big sections. If I TnR I probably could have had smaller dreads, but I wasn't familliar with that method until after the fact. I wanted thinner dreads at first because I thought having thicker but fewer would make my head look half bald or something, but like Knottysleeves says, they're straggly at the beginning and they will change. As mine shrunk and looped and other things they really don't look bald at all, I almost look like I have too much hair, and I love them all, even though none are thin, they're all bigger than a pencil and regular wooden beads with the hole sanded out as much as I can to get it bigger doesn't fit over most of them anymore (a few are smaller, but none smaller than a pencil). They will definitely fatten up, but if you want to try combining a few now's the time.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form