Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Zum bar soap

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i saw this soap called zum at the health food store today. i picked one up thinking i might try it in my hair. it's a goats milk based soap with essential oils. i bought the geranium bar. anyone tried these soaps on their dreads?here's are the ingredients: saponified 100% food grade olive oil, coconut, palm, and castor oils in a goats milk base with pure essential oils and mineral pigments.
updated by @heather: 01/13/15 08:49:36PM
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
I have never tried it. I would use it on my body but it contains way too much oil to use on my dreads. My dreads are only a couple years old and my hair is not real dry or brittle. All that oil is very moisturizing and very good for your skin....but do you really need or want that much oil in your hair?
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
I think the oil would hinder your dreading process
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i didn't think the oils would be a problem since dr. bronners and most dreadlocks shampoo bars have the same oils. i'm more concerned with the goats milk. i have no idea what it will do. i think i'll just use it on my body for now unless someone says its amazing for dreads..

taye said:
I have never tried it. I would use it on my body but it contains way too much oil to use on my dreads. My dreads are only a couple years old and my hair is not real dry or brittle. All that oil is very moisturizing and very good for your skin....but do you really need or want that much oil in your hair?
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
by the way, i love your dreads! i hope to see some knotting soon.

taye said:
I think the oil would hinder your dreading process
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
when i started dreading mine...i didn't have to work or go to school so i had lots of time to play. I backcombed a lot of them and twisted/ripped a few, braided a couple and left the rest to do their own thing. I have a mishmash of all kinds of things going on lol. Thank god i had not heard of crochet because i might have tried that too. You are right about doctor bronners. I have been using it for more than 20years on my body...have used it only a few times on my hair. I just read the ingredients...it is weird. It says Pure castile soap but in the ingredients that isn't even there.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
and i can see so much sectioning going on in your pictures. Yours are going to be wonderful !!!! I admire you for your patience....i am one of those people that have to get a boost. Mature dreads don't wanna be dry...but baby dreads need to stay away from the oil. Oil is your enemy right now...it will undo those pretty sections. Stick with the bs use that luxurious soap on your skin.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
thanks taye! i tried backcombing and it just wasn't for me. i'm really hoping my super soft hair cooperates and starts to knot soon. i want to feel like something is happening. right now i'm using an organic tea tree shampoo. i was having problems with baking soda not rinsing out completely and my hair not getting clean. we have really hard water so i don't know if that has anything to do with it. the shampoo soothes my scalp and makes my hair squeaky clean. i just saw the zum bar and got excited to try something different. i'm going to hold off though.

taye said:
and i can see so much sectioning going on in your pictures. Yours are going to be wonderful !!!! I admire you for your patience....i am one of those people that have to get a boost. Mature dreads don't wanna be dry...but baby dreads need to stay away from the oil. Oil is your enemy right now...it will undo those pretty sections. Stick with the bs use that luxurious soap on your skin.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
use that wonderful bar on your skin!!! It will sing you songs of praise ! especially now that the weather is changing.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
and you are right bs isn't for everyone. Use what works for you
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form