Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Question about bleaching dreads

mea
@mea
14 years ago
23 posts
My dreads are dyed reddish-brown , but i'd like to get back my original hair colour, which is blonde. I've already tried bleaching one dread, but it turned orange! What should I do?
updated by @mea: 02/15/15 05:49:01AM
Steph
@steph
14 years ago
16 posts
Hahaha, mine are that colour for the same reason pretty much! Personally i kinda like the gingerness. Yeah, use a stonger dye or try a few more times i guess.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
loghten em gradualy with lemon juice>?i dunno my hairs always been its natural color so i dunnowell since i was a teen anyway and then i used lemon juice

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Loleia
@loleia
14 years ago
16 posts
when i bleached 6 of my dreads the first time they went orange, then they were re-bleached the next day and went light blonde. that was over a year ago now and ive had no problem with breakage what so ever.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
talk to panterra she's a super smart hair stylist and i'm sure she could give you some solid advice, dying isn't as easy as it seems!
Heather B
@heather-b
14 years ago
53 posts
your looks amazing! :D i love the color!
mea
@mea
14 years ago
23 posts
thank you all for your helpful suggestions!knotty: i live in hungary at the moment, and i dunno if u can get colour stripper here... :( but I'll sure ask! Haven't heard of it before though. I've been dyeing my hair for about 4 yrs all kinds of colours ... so it might not even work :(SE: yea i've tried using lemon but it seems like it dries them out too much :(Loleia: that sounds quite promising then!:)NaturalWomyn: thank you for the advice, I'll talk to her!Thank you Heather :)
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
i would be very cautious bleaching dreads multiple times, especially since your hair is dyed a reddish tint. i don't know what i'd do if i were you! doing tons of processing to your dreads to get it bleached back to your natural hair color is going to be really harsh
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

Did I hear my name?! Lol Be real careful with bleach. The reason that the hair turned orange is because you didn't leave it on long enough. All hair goes through stages, levels of lightening. Each person hits a level that may take longer to get through, and for most of the population it is that strange orange shade. When you use bleach, it puts microscopic holes in the inner layer of the hair. If you apply bleach over previously bleached hair you are risking severe damage and breakage because the second round of holes may cause two holes to be side by side and snap off the hair. The best method is to apply bleach once and only once until you have to do the roots.If your hair is blonde naturally and you used a color to darken or change it you could use a color stripper. It is much less damaging, for the most part but requires more skill in the application. Just keep in mind that you are messing with some very serious chemicals and proceed with caution. Bleaching is a process best left to professionals to be honest. There is a strange reaction that some people experience where they wash out the bleach and even though the chemical is gone, the hair continues to lighten dramatically for up to a week...but, this is not common. When using any lightening agent...you want to be very aware of the hair's texture and tensile strength during the entire process. If the hair feels "mushy" or when you pull a few strands it feels "very stretchy" you need to get the bleach off immmediately! DO NOT LET IT GET TO THIS STAGE! The majority of people who are bleached require a toner to even out and balance the color...unfortunately, how to choose a toner is a whole 'nother story! Good luck and please be careful. Don't get distracted and let your attention not be on your hair. (((Hugs)))
NaturalWomyn said:
talk to panterra she's a super smart hair stylist and i'm sure she could give you some solid advice, dying isn't as easy as it seems!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
There she is!! Panterra to the rescue!!! See how much we need you around here!! Love ya lady!!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form