Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

hair loss with natural dreads

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
okay, so i know that we all lose about 50 to 100 hairs a day. i'm going the natural route. how is my hair supposed to knot when i still lose all this hair everyday even though i'm not brushing? i find it EVERYWHERE. its all over my pillow in the morning, on my clothes, they drop on my arms, my bathroom floor, etc. its very frustrating. anyone else having this problem? it doesn't help any that my hair is over a foot and a half long so 10 hairs looks like a million when you wad it up.on another note, the weather has been super hot and dry the last few days and my scalp is freaking out. its super dry and itchy. a little flaking but not bad at all. is there anything i could do to help with the dryness without hindering the dreading process?thanks!
updated by @heather: 02/14/15 11:50:25AM
Ilvin salazar
@ilvin-salazar
14 years ago
20 posts
ughh..i thought i was the only one with this problem.i find my hair everywhere too.though not as much as yourselves.on my sweater,homework,everywhere.im guessing its normal.but sometimes it frustrates me.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
losing hairs wont interfere with drweadingand the baking soda acv teatree rosemary cold rince combo will fix the itchies just finejust make the acvg extra weak and dont leave on long at all few seconds

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm doing the tea tree but i heard that it can be drying so i didnt know if i should use it. i'll have to get some rosemary. i do a cold rinse every time i wash just cause it feels wonderful;)i could handle a little hair loss but its all the time and everywhere. its driving me crazy. i hope my hair starts to knot soon so i dont lose any more.

soaringeagle said:
losing hairs wont interfere with drweading
and the baking soda acv teatree rosemary cold rince combo will fix the itchies just fine
just make the acvg extra weak and dont leave on long at all few seconds
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
I had the same problem at first I still find a lot of hair on some days not every day but some days are worst then others. It took a while for my hair to do something but it started and it's just going crazy now I see progress every day. What helped me a lot was wearing a wool tam for about 3-4 hours a day.
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I don't remember ever losing much hair... I know I don't loose any at all now.Wearing a tam would definitely keep you from shedding everywhere tho... It would all end up in your tam :)
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I too seem to shed alot of hair and at times there is a wad of it kind of hanging from my ends and I pull it off because it is annoying. Mammals lose more hair in warm weather and hair loss is normal anyway, but, I do feel like I am noticing it more...? In my opinion, tea tree is like medicine and I only advise clients to use it when there is a significant scalp problem. If your hair feels very dry I would alternate your tea tree use or trade it with some peppermint oil. I have a very itchy area on my scalp near my neck and I dab a bit of peppermint oil on it via a cotton ball, so I only effect that area and not my entire head.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
thats exactly whats happening to me. i see all of this hair hanging down about 4 inches away from the bottom of all my other hair and i just grab it and it all comes right out. it doesn't happen everyday but its still upsetting. i get some hair loss in the shower too. i already have fine hair.its my scalp that feeling dry, not my hair. would the peppermint oil help?

Panterra Caraway said:
I too seem to shed alot of hair and at times there is a wad of it kind of hanging from my ends and I pull it off because it is annoying. Mammals lose more hair in warm weather and hair loss is normal anyway, but, I do feel like I am noticing it more...? In my opinion, tea tree is like medicine and I only advise clients to use it when there is a significant scalp problem. If your hair feels very dry I would alternate your tea tree use or trade it with some peppermint oil. I have a very itchy area on my scalp near my neck and I dab a bit of peppermint oil on it via a cotton ball, so I only effect that area and not my entire head.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i have a few tams but they're acrylic not wool. do you think it would still help?

Jdwood said:
I had the same problem at first I still find a lot of hair on some days not every day but some days are worst then others. It took a while for my hair to do something but it started and it's just going crazy now I see progress every day. What helped me a lot was wearing a wool tam for about 3-4 hours a day.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts

You know, I have a weird system that I have adopted and it seems to help me, maybe it would help you too. I use the Maylees dread bar on my scalp (kind of carefully rub it around my entire head and then the scalp) and then pour on the B/S water mixture and follow with ACV. I started this because I saw more progress in knotting with B/S but I love the smell of the dread bar! Turns out that my dry scalp wasn't so flaky anymore. Also, I have a TON of tams since I make them all the time and I noticed that not only do the wool ones seem to help way more but the wool is cooler and more comfortable. When I wear the acrylic I sweat and then there goes my scalp...itchy!!! If you have to wear acrylic, then you need a blend...many yarns are a blend of wool and acrylic. :D
Heather said:
thats exactly whats happening to me. i see all of this hair hanging down about 4 inches away from the bottom of all my other hair and i just grab it and it all comes right out. it doesn't happen everyday but its still upsetting. i get some hair loss in the shower too. i already have fine hair.

its my scalp that feeling dry, not my hair. would the peppermint oil help?

Panterra Caraway said:
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form