Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

For those of you still on the rocks about dreadheadhq, knottyboy products, and commercially produced dread soaps

Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
I decided to compile a list of information about dreadheadhq, knottyboy, and commercial dread soaps.. I'm am trying to compile this list from neutral sources, such as BBB and Amazon.com.To begin with, I would like to show everyone why it is a bad idea to do business with dreadheadhq in general, not just for wax but for anything. You probably know what the BBB is (the Better Business Bureau). It is a list of businesses across the nation compiled by this organization that gives the company a grade (from A+ to F) based on consumer complaints, reviews, company products, practices, and how the company handles those complaints.You can find the official review for DreadheadHQ at the BBB by clicking here .The official rating for this company by the BBB is an F, which is the lowest possible rating. In regards to this rating, the BBB website states: "BBB RatingBased on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of F on a scale from A+ to F.Reasons for this rating include:* 6 complaints filed against business* Failure to respond to 5 complaints filed against business.* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business."The rating system is based on these issues above. A new rating is generated every 36 months, based on the information gathered (complaints, issues, resolution, etc) in the previous 36 months. So, in just 36 months (not the entire life span on the company), DreadheadHQ was able to generate enough problems that it was given a ranking of F.From the BBB website, more detailed information on the complaints are listed below. As shown, the only thing the company is consistent with, is not resolving issues that customers pose with the company:"Customer Complaint HistoryWhen considering complaint information, please take into account the company's size and volume of transactions, and understand that the nature of complaints and a firm's responses to them are often more important than the number of complaints.BBB processed a total of 6 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 6 complaints closed in 36 months, 3 were closed in the last year.Billing or Collection IssuesNo Response1 - Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.Delivery IssuesNo Response2 - Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.Customer Service IssuesResolved1 - Company resolved the complaint issues. The consumer acknowledged acceptance to BBB.Product IssuesNo Response1 - Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues.Refund or Exchange IssuesNo Response1 - Company failed to respond to BBB to resolve or address the complaint issues."DreadheadHQ is also NOT an accredited business with the BBB. Generally speaking, if a business wishes to show it's customers that it is a reliable, professional source, it can attempt to become an accredited BBB business. A business would do this by applying to become accredited, and then would go through a system of reviews, and then pay an administrative fee. If the business passes, it becomes accredited. To pass, it needs to demonstrate that it holds a high standard of quality in products as well as service. Now, keep in mind that many companies choose not to become BBB accredited, but that is usually due to the fact that either no complaints were filed and needed to be addressed, or because they simply aren't a large enough business to need BBB accreditation. In regard to BBB accreditation, the BBB website states: "To be accredited by BBB a business or organization affirms that it meets and will abide by the following standards:1. Build TrustEstablish and maintain a positive track record in the marketplace.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Have been operational (actively selling products or services) in any BBB service area for at least the most recent 12 months, unless the principal(s) previously operated a similar business with an eligible record (one that qualifies for BBB accreditation).B. Fulfill all licensing and bonding requirements of applicable jurisdictions; provide all license and bonding information upon application for BBB accreditation; and provide periodic updates upon request of BBB.C. Be free from government action that demonstrates a significant failure to support BBB ethical principles in marketplace transactions (this requires a determination by BBB as to the nature of anyviolation, whether it was caused or condoned by management, and actions taken to resolve underlying issues that led to the government action).D. Be free of an unsatisfactory rating and maintain at least a B rating at the accrediting BBB and the BBB where it is headquartered, if different.E. In its relationship with BBB:* meet all applicable standards within this Code of Business Practices* cooperate with BBBs activities and efforts to promote voluntary self-regulation within the business industry* honor any settlements, agreements or decisions reached as an outcome of a BBB dispute resolution process* complete the required application and pay all monetary obligations to BBB in a timely manner2. Advertise HonestlyAdhere to established standards of advertising and selling.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Follow federal, state/provincial and local advertising laws.B. Abide by the BBB Code of Advertising. Supply, upon request, substantiation for advertising and selling claims. Correct advertising and selling practices, when recommended by BBB.C. Adhere to applicable BBB industry codes of advertising.D. Cooperate with BBB self-regulatory programs for the resolution of advertising disputes.E. Use the BBB name and logos in accordance with BBB policy.F. Avoid misleading customers by creating the false impression of sponsorship, endorsement, popularity, trustworthiness, product quality or business size through the misuse of logos, trustmarks, pictures, testimonials, or other means.3. Tell the TruthHonestly represent products and services, including clear and adequate disclosures of all material terms.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Make known all material facts in both written and verbal representations, remembering that misrepresentation may result not only from direct statements but by omitting or obscuring relevant facts.B. Ensure that any written materials are readily available, clear, accurate and complete.4. Be TransparentOpenly identify the nature, location, and ownership of the business, and clearly disclose all policies, guarantees and procedures that bear on a customers decision to buy.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Upon request, provide BBB with all information required to evaluate compliance with BBB standards. This may include, but is not limited to business name, address and contact information; names and background of principals; business and banking references; licensing and/or professional accreditation; and a complete description of the nature of the business.B. Clearly disclose to customers:* direct and effective means to contact the business* terms of any written contract* any guarantees or warranties accompanying a product* any restrictions or limitations imposed (e.g. limited supply,maximum number available per customer)* the business return/refund policy* any recurring commitment into which the customer may be entering, including information on how future billing will occur* total cost of the transaction, including tax, shipping and handling, and other related chargesC. If selling products or providing services on Web sites or via other electronic means:* provide any required product labeling information* disclose the nature and terms of shipping, including any known delays or shortages of stock* provide an opportunity to review and confirm the transaction before the sale is completed* provide a receipt summarizing the transaction after the purchase5. Honor PromisesAbide by all written agreements and verbal representations.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Fulfill contracts signed and agreements reached.B. Honor representations by correcting mistakes as quickly as possible.6. Be ResponsiveAddress marketplace disputes quickly, professionally, and ingood faith.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Promptly respond to all complaints forwarded by BBB by:1. Resolving the complaint directly with the complainant andnotifying BBB, or2. Providing BBB with a response that BBB determines:* is professional,* addresses all of the issues raised by the complainant,* includes appropriate evidence and documents supporting the business position, and* explains why any relief sought by the complainant cannot or should not be granted.B. Make a good faith effort to resolve disputes, which includes mediation if requested by BBB. Other dispute resolution options, including arbitration, may be recommended by BBB when other efforts to resolve a dispute have failed. BBB may consider a business willingness to participate in recommended dispute resolution options in determining compliance with these standards.C. Comply with any settlements, agreements or decisions reached as an outcome of a BBB dispute resolution process.D. Cooperate with BBB in efforts to eliminate the underlying cause of patterns of customer complaints that are identified by BBB.7. Safeguard PrivacyProtect any data collected against mishandling and fraud, collect personal information only as needed, and respect the preferences of customers regarding the use of theirinformation.An accredited business or organization agrees to:A. Respect PrivacyBusinesses conducting e-commerce agree to disclose on their Web site the following:* what information they collect,* with whom it is shared,* how it can be corrected,* how it is secured,* how policy changes will be communicated, and;* how to address concerns over misuse of personal data.B. Secure Sensitive DataBusinesses that collect sensitive data online (credit card, bank account numbers, Social Security number, salary or other personal financial information, medical history or records, etc.) will ensure that it is transmitted via secure means.Businesses will make best efforts to comply with industry standards for the protection and proper disposal of all sensitive data, both online and offline.C. Honor Customer PreferencesBusinesses agree to respect customer preferences regarding contact by telephone, fax and e-mail, and agree to remedy the underlying cause of any failure to do so.8. Embody IntegrityApproach all business dealings, marketplace transactions andcommitments with integrity.An accredited business or organization agrees to:Avoid involvement, by the business or its principals, in activities that reflect unfavorably on, or otherwise adversely affect the public image of BBB or its accredited businesses."In addition to these guidelines, the business must also pay a small administrative fee to the BBB.So, to sum this all up in a nutshell, even if the question of the quality or necessity of DreadheadHQ's products is unresolvable, there is a major issue of customer service here. If you had any question before as to whether or not this is simply speculation, then this question should be confirmed by now.So, with that in mind, I will now move on to Knottyboy products, and commercially labeled "dreadlock products" in geneal.The BBB page for knottyboy can be found here. For some reason it's listed as an "Internet access provider" and I'm not sure why, though no one from the company has attempted to update that to the proper information.From the BBB website, they are rated at a B+, though let me explain this a bit more. Along with that rating, the BBB also states that: "BBB RatingBased on BBB files, this business has a BBB Rating of B+ on a scale from A+ to F.Reasons for this rating include:* BBB does not have sufficient background information on this business."This means that they have gathered some information on the business, as it IS rated, though not enough information in the past 36 months to determine a proper rating. There is, unfortunately, no other information on the website on knottyboy, so I will have to use other sources. Knottyboy is also not accredited with the BBB.In general, after doing research on the company, Knottyboy is not NEARLY as bad in the customer service reviews aspect as DreadheadHQ, though that is by no means saying that you should use the products, or ANY commercially produced "Dread Products" for that matter. Some of the commercially produced soaps out there are O.K., but why are you going to pay an extraordinary amount of money for a product that they are only charging more for because it's got a pretty bottle, a cool brand name, or labels such as "all natural", or that it's supposed to be made specifically for dreadlocks?. You can find equal or many times even better products for a fraction the price locally, or even within your own home.Let's have an example: (from amazon.com) you can purchase a 16oz bottle of knottyboy shampoo for $24.95. On average, medium length dreadlocks, you would probably go through this bottle in about a month, maybe a little bit longer. So for the sake of over-compensation, I'm going to give you two months to use this product in it's entirety. That means it will cost you just over .41 cents per wash. That doesn't seem like a lot, but let's look at other products and do comparisons and a little bit of math. Let's look at Dr Bronner's, another popular product, which you can use as a shampoo (among other numerous uses). Amazon.com is selling this product for an average of 14.95, depending on what type you get, for a 32 oz. bottle. That's twice as much soap for a cheaper price.That's just over 12 cents per wash. But wait, there's more! You wouldn't use Dr. Bronner's like you would regular shampoo, as it is ultra concentrated. The bottle states to dilute the product 12 parts water to 1 part soap. Now, you've brought it down to a mere 1 cent per wash. That means in two months, while going through the entire bottle of the other stuff, you've only used 60 cents worth of Dr. Bronner's if you wash every single day.So, some math on this: if you were to purchase a popular commercial dreadlock shampoo for roughly $25, and it lasted you two months per bottle, that means that in 5 years you have spent just under $750. While, if you purchased a less popular soap such as Dr. Bronner's, you will have only needed to purchase two 32 oz. bottles of soap, diluted it, washed with it every day, and you would STILL have some left over. Hmmm.... I think i'm going with the cheap stuff. What about you?I hope this has been enlightening to everyone. And please, if you see any mistakes in the information above, PLEASE feel free to correct me. :)
updated by @mandy2: 02/14/15 06:37:51AM
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
did u really write this all yourself??? thats a real dedication...! to be honest i really dont care about bbb, ccc or thatever, dreadhq included... lets hope there is somebody who will actually read it all and you didnt completely waste your time by this...there s lot of more fulfilling ways to deal with a spare time, perhaps buy a musical instrument or go for a walk... i recommend it...
Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
wow, man. forgive me for trying to provide people with useful information.although, that being said, rather than wasting your own time by providing a meaningless comment, you too could have been playing a musical instrument or going on a walk.just sayin.
Rae
@rae
14 years ago
74 posts
There's no need to be rude, Mikey. For some people this site is a big deal, and making sure people have the right information is important to them. For others it's running, and others still it is service work. You never know each person's personal story, and thus you shouldn't judge them based on their passions.I thought this was really interesting Mandy, I had never thought to check out the BBB for these companies before. Thanks for the work you put in!
Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
I basically just wanted people to know that regardless of their own opinion or experiences with this or that company or product, what true, factual, neutral information is out there.It really bothers me how both ends of the argument on companies and wax use can be so vile towards each other. So I figured I would neutralize the argument of wax altogether, and look at companies from a purely customer service based standpoint, as well as cost effectiveness.Just tryin to help. :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
great post mandyidiotic post mikezand knottysleeves great point but that also just goes to prove how hard it really is to get an f ratinganother important factor to take into concideration is the lack of legal info on these companiesdhhq discloses that its a 2 person operation thats true but the names of the 2 people are hidden in secrecyknottyboy discloses nothingdhhq could never be accredited based on the the advertising bs alonenow id like to make 1 further pointafter recomending bakinmg soda to someone on facebooka dozen ppl went out to prove that dreadheadhq soap worked better then baking soda ..but proved just the opositethe experimentwash with dreadheadhq soap (very expensive) then imediately after wash with the baking soda (extremely cheap) and this is the water after rinsing

10 people did the same experiment9 had these results..1 didnt..the 1 (the crazy saly lady who now answers dreadheadhq phones) claimed it was because dreadheadhq soaps worked.. but was crazy enough to ignore the fact that she makes and sells salts containing baking soda and soaks in them dailyi tried explaining that her salts were better then the soap..and being crazy insisted on telling me i was wrong

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
very interesting knotty, i didn't know that.
I admit I didn't read the entire original post as it's a bit lengthy albeit thorough :) maybe you could outline a few of the major points and cut and paste them into a mini version? just a thought...

Knottysleeves said:
Not to defend DHHQ in any way (I don't support them and I wouldn't ever recommend their products to anyone)... but the BBB is a fairly useless organization. They used to carry more weight back in the pre-Internet days, when it was difficult for consumers to do their own research and have a public forum in which to share opinions, but nowadays they are a dinosaur. Their ratings don't mean much.

Their complaints process is ridiculous. Here's an example: You file a complaint, and their paper-pusher decides it doesn't have merit or you didn't ask for an actionable resolution (even if you did). They send a note to the company with the text of the complaint and ask for a response. Company responds "That's crazy, it didn't happen, we don't know what the customer's complaining about." The BBB's paper-pusher accepts that and closes the case, sends the complainant a "Sorry we can't help you" note, and marks it down in the company's statistics as "Company addressed the complaint issues; the consumer acknowledged acceptance to BBB" which then adds to the company's positive rating. Has the consumer actually been helped at all by this process?

Remember, the BBB's main source of income is fees paid by the companies who want accreditation (called "members"). That's a direct conflict of interest to their claim that they are neutral or "working for the consumer". I know lots of companies who have A+ ratings with the BBB but most of their advertising is done by aggressively spamming forums, Craigslist and so on, and using deceptive marketing practices and not giving a shit about their customers once money has changed hands. So I don't put much stock in BBB ratings. :-)
Mandy2
@mandy2
14 years ago
55 posts
yeah, that is a very good point knotty, and noted. unfortunately for dhhq, as soaring stated, it actually makes their case even worse if it is that easy to obtain a high rating and "resolve" an issue. it just goes to show that dhhq obviously doesn't even care about resolving issues with customers.also, i have thought about coming up with something that's more brief, but i actually had a few other things i wanted to investigate as a separate issue, that being wax from different companies (i'm thinking ddhq, knottyboy, and murray's, a less famous but more accessible brand of wax) as well as the different "dread products".I'm thinking once I get a detailed version of my second to-do list, I might compile it all together into a sort of mini fact sheet or something, I dunno. Great idea though. Hey, soaring, that could be something you could add to a book! That would be a really neat idea, to come up with like a member compiled book, and the proceeds of the book could go towards support of the site or something. Pictures of natural dreads vs product dreads, info on the different products including ingredient lists, pros and cons of different methods, etc etc..Sorry, my brain is running a million miles an hour today lol
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i like that idea how bout we start off with setting it up as a page and adding it to the menu

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mikey Mikez
@mikey-mikez
14 years ago
90 posts
yeah, sorry about my comment... didnt mean to upset anyone...as long as you people r happy to discuss the dhhq matter all day every day, who am i to complain...?peace!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form