Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Different Dread Methods Clarified

Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
There are different methods to obtaining dread locks.Lets look at these different methods.NeglectHair sections, knots and forms dread locks on it's own without manipulationNo separation involvedThe way the hair dreads is the way it staysHair is washed when neededNaturalHair sections, knots and forms dreads on it's own without manipulationSeparation is what separates neglect from naturalFingers are used to separate dreadlocks that are perceived as too big by the ownerHair is washed when needed and sometimes conditionedTwist and RipHair is separated into desired sections, twisted and pulled upwards, like the name of the method suggests once the dreadlocks are all formed using the tandr method they are then left to continue dreading and are separated by fingers when dreads are perceived as too big by the ownerwashed when needed and sometimes conditionedBack-combedHair is separated into desired sections and then a comb is used to tease the hair sectionsOnce entire head is sectioned and back-combed it is left to continue dreadingHair is washed when needed and sometimes conditionedCrochetedHair is separated into desired sections and then a tool is used, usually a crochet hook, to knot the hair and form locksThis method is usually maintained by continuing to jab loose hairs into locks with a hookSome people leave it be after crocheting onceHair is washed when needed and sometimes conditionedWax is typically used on tandr, back-combed and crocheted dreads by some people but not advisable as it prevents knotting and promotes mold and dirtMixedSome people use a mix of all the methods mentioned aboveTams, woolen hats, are used by dreads of all methods to promote knottyness and keep locks clean.You use whatever method suites you.When some one asks what method you used tell them and be proud, you are a lion!
updated by @island-mamma: 02/14/15 06:26:30AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well done

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no..they are not thats the point that is totaly false and harmfulthey are unatural methods using natural products..periodnatural products do not make natural dreads they make dreads that are not natural healthier surebut a backcombed dreads a backcombed dread that used natural productsunderstand?

Violet said:
alright, how about you just call it separation method instead. because again, anyone that uses no wax and or harmful chemicals and uses all natural organic hair no from nature are all considered natural methods. ok

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
violet idf its so important to you to use the term natural then you should have gone natural..end of story..but u didnt go natural so u do not have natural dreads if you really feel you must use the term then start over the natural wayotherwise use the term for the method u used

--
Eva Deva
@eva-deva
14 years ago
36 posts
i Cultivated my locks by neglecting them completely for nine months ( Neglect meaning, i kept them clean...i used normal shampoo, but did not condition - however, sometimes I used a leave in conditioner spritz, like Infusium 23 - this did not adversly affect the lock up process. I never brushed, or seperated..i just slept on em.) after i ended up with one huge massive beaver tail in the back, and a bloody scalp...i combed it out and started over with moderate neglect - and a twist and rip method, to form the sections i wanted and an attempt to keep things seperated. i did the twist an rip to establish coherant SECTIONS and hopefully train my hair to leave itself the frigg alone and not end up with a bloody massive singleton dread that my scalp cannot handle at this juncture.i then had ten seperate ropes, which i will call maturing dreads.then, in the Philippines, a local tattoo artist crocheted the rest of my head. this was done on impulse, and in a hurry, as i was to spend the next two weeks in salt water non-stop SCUBA diving....after day one, my hair was already matting and knotting in to one huge dread...and since i did not comb or brush, i was having a hell of a time keeping things right for my scalp.So.I have...Natural...but Certainly Cultivated Ropes. They are not Mature Dreads as of yet...but they are gettin real rooty...real knotty, real kinky, and are growin!!!Praise God and Seven Other Things!!!
Mark
@mark
14 years ago
22 posts
At the end of the day, who really cares about a singular title? Chances are I could post a picture of my dreadlocks and unless I told you what method I used, you wouldn't have a clue; the end truly justifies the means. Call them what you want... they're dreadlocks regardless ;-)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oy is uyopu have backcombed dreads not natural dreads so vcall them what they are they are backcombed so since u backcombed call them what they are..geeezthat dont make them inferiur natural is not a superiur term its a specific term you cxannot claim to be natural dreads if u backcombed period

Violet said:
alright, you can think that way if you wish. But i love and pride my dreads as being all natural period. i did
not use harmful products or wax like this site has stated to be unnatural. the point is yes i use a tool to backcomb my dreads in and that was it. you and everyone else besides the neglect method has also use tools/ hands as tools to manipulate your dreads so don't try and tell me my method of using a tool/hand is less natural than yours.

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
nayural dreads fall into 3 catagories freeform being 1 of the 3 that are more specificthen natural backcombb falls outside of the natural vccatagioryok violet get thisyou are humanyou are caucasianyou are from a countryand a townhuman=dreadlockedcaucasian=natueral or cultivatedcountry=method ise backcombed/ product free etctown=specifucs backcombed natural products ..or freeform no seperatingget itby clasifuication if you backcombed u cannot be natural tho u use natural products so you are backcombed and used natural productsdo not lie anjmd claim your dreads are natural if they are not

Chewin Change said:
just call the "natural" definition here, "freeform"

--
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Jeesh it's like talking to toddlers.I'm calling my banana and orange because I can okay! I don't care what you say my banana is an orange neener neener neenerSeriously if you want to say you have natural dreadlocks so bad why don't you go natural or get over it and accept your dreads and whatever method you chose.
taye
@taye
14 years ago
833 posts
ok i am a new member of the forum. i am very shocked by the attitude. i am not so sure i want to be a part of such anger. Thank you Island Mamma for clarifying the differences. I now have an official term for my dreads. I am mixed. I have backcombed (which is the majority) t&r, braided and neglect.The neglected ones formed because I got tired of back combing and twisting...also they were in back of my head and I couldn't reach or see them very well. So i just left them alone. You forgot braided... my braids turned into dreads too. So i am happy with the term mixed. I think the issue that ppl are having is the term natural. If dreads are not natural...does that imply that they are artificial? That is what it sounds like to me. None of mine (yes even the back combed ones ) are artificial. Maybe they are supernatural...like ghost dreads lol.
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form