Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

does anyone use Prell shampoo?

Taryn Coulombe
@taryn-coulombe
14 years ago
5 posts
does anyone use Prell shampoo to wash their dreads? I havent had any problems with it really, just curious if anyone else has tried it. My only complaint is that my dreads get extra frizzy after I wash them, however, I realize this is inevitable.
updated by @taryn-coulombe: 02/14/15 03:51:46AM
ily babe
@ily-babe
14 years ago
18 posts
yeah, i use it. my hair gets hella frizzy after i use it, but goes back to normal.so far so good, my only complaint is that the scent goes away real quick, im guessing its meant to be that way.
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i've tried it but i find it a little difficult to rinse out. i'm doing the natural thing so i don't have dreads yet but i really like giovanni's organic tea tree treat shampoo. makes my hair squeaky clean.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
Have you tried diluting it? Like you would baking soda? I just put about the same amount that I would use to wash my hair when it was straight (sometimes a bit more if I need some extra suds) and fill the cup the rest of the way up with water. Stir it around a bit (make sure there aren't any soap clumpies if you're using head and shoulders) and pour evenly over my dreads. I've been doing this with any liquid shampoo I use, and it's worked really well!

Heather said:
i've tried it but i find it a little difficult to rinse out. i'm doing the natural thing so i don't have dreads yet but i really like giovanni's organic tea tree treat shampoo. makes my hair squeaky clean.
Taryn Coulombe
@taryn-coulombe
14 years ago
5 posts
yeah they scent does go away pretty quickly, but im not a big fan of the smell so I guess it works out for the better. :)
Taryn Coulombe
@taryn-coulombe
14 years ago
5 posts
where do you buy that stuff?
Taryn Coulombe
@taryn-coulombe
14 years ago
5 posts
I should try that. I'll let you know how it works out :) thanks
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i'll have to try that. thanks, faelwynn!

Faelwynn said:
Have you tried diluting it? Like you would baking soda? I just put about the same amount that I would use to wash my hair when it was straight (sometimes a bit more if I need some extra suds) and fill the cup the rest of the way up with water. Stir it around a bit (make sure there aren't any soap clumpies if you're using head and shoulders) and pour evenly over my dreads. I've been doing this with any liquid shampoo I use, and it's worked really well!

Heather said:
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i'm assuming your asking me about the giovanni's. i bought it at Sprouts but i think any natural type store would carry it. it's a little expensive ($9) and not a very big bottle but i wash my hair less often now so i don't have a problem with it. a little goes a long way too.

Taryn Coulombe said:
where do you buy that stuff?
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
The only thing about Prell is that it has been around a really long time and came out during a period of time where "balsam" shampoos were the rage. In the 1970's, people equated the term balsam as "natural" since there was a big organic push then. Unfortunately, the "herbs" and fragrance are acheived with wax...codeword...BALSAM. True balsam is a resinous substance that I wouldn't want in my hair (don't know why anyone would! Lol). We studied this particular shampoo in beauty school, since I have been around awhile and Prell has too, we are thoroughly acquainted! I wouldn't use it.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form