Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting Dreads: Hair Length

Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
15 years ago
55 posts
Ok so, I don't have dreads just yet.. Still waiting for my hair to get around 5 inches all around to dread em (Backcombing/twist method) but currently, thanks to my last haircut the hair on the top of my head and back are somewhat longer than the sides, and I read somewhere that hair should be all the same length before dreading, what are your views on this?
updated by @giuliano-pagano: 02/14/15 09:05:13AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
hair dont gotta be the same lengthy at allif u want stop waitting start going natural todaywhenthe short hairs get longer u can then twist n rip or let em go naturalwhatever u do stay away from waxif u dont go natural id highly recomend twist n rip over backcombing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jennifer Harris
@jennifer-harris
15 years ago
3 posts
my view is that i wanted to wait until my hair was longer and even and one day i just couldn't wait any longer and stopped combing and then used a variety of methods to get them started and then just left it. i have all different lengths runnin pon my dome. the only time any of that matters i suppose is if you are doing it for looks but in my personal opinion i think it looks good when its all different lengths, which over time you're going to end up with any way as new growth comes in.
Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
15 years ago
55 posts
Could you explain twist and rip? I dont quite like the "rip" part, sounds painful
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
less painful then backcombingbackcombing isseverely painbful and very dammagingif u want gentle pain free go naturaltwist n rip isnt what it sounds likeu twist the hair up tight, then seperate into 2 sections at random pulling them in oposite directions forcing knots towards the roots ..then retwist repullread the dreaducation thread in methods section Giuliano Pagano said:
Could you explain twist and rip? I dont quite like the "rip" part, sounds painful

--
Joey
@joey
15 years ago
9 posts
IMO length doesn't really matter. I had layers in my hair when I started dreading and you can't even tell. It all grows out eventually.The easiest thing to do is to switch to residue free shampoo, throw away the comb, forget your worries and become oblivious to the fact that you have hair.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
exactlymine was longer in the back then the rest i stuck a few beads in the back and it dreaded in no time then as the rest greww in (from 2 inches) it dreaded on its own

--
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
Length won't be a big issue, I had the same deal as you, longer hair on top, short on sides,, you just end up with longer dreads on top,While you might find it kinda annoying at first it won't really be a big issue in the long run, though if you wanna wait you can just let your hair grow longer, or just go natural and keep your hair clean.all in all if you stick with it ,length won't affect your dreads as long as the shorter length is still long enough to dread.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
umm as long as the shorter length is long enough to dread?what happens to shorter hair over time?it growsso if the top dreads 1st the shorter parts will dread as they growit wont matter one way or the otheri knew a wizard type dude who had a mohawk in the shape of a big questionmarkthe hair in the question mark was almost 2 feet..the rest shaved.. he then let it all dreadand by the time the dreads were mature ya couldnt really tell he had a big questionmark on his head(but je was such a unique persun u still said "what the____??????" whenya saw him)there are way too many sites telling u u need to do this you need to do that to dread.. all u need to do to dread is forget everything u ever knew about hair care and just let it do what it wants to do

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
15 years ago
458 posts
Mine is natural from a shaved head, bleached and straightened when it was short and I would spike it. When I found knots I just let it start growing out it's natural color and texture and just didn't brush. The bleached part is now only about 2 1/2 inches of close to 6 inches in some parts. The dreads on the right side of my head on the side are an inch or two longer than the rest. So yeah, it doesn't matter what length you decide to start if you go natural. Someone else here has it shaved on the sides and back and was planning on letting it grow out as natural dreads, I'd like to hear his take on that.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form