Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

fixing lose hairs when or if?

Katie3
@katie3
14 years ago
12 posts
I have had my dreads for 5 months. I did the back combing method. They are coming along nicely, very knotty. Some people crochet their lose hairs in the dreads. I was wondering if this was a good idea? If so when is it ok to do this? When are dreadlocks considered mature?
updated by @katie3: 02/14/15 02:27:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no crochet is a terible idea it creates more loose hairs and makes dreads high maintenance for lifeignore the loose hairs theres nothing that needs to be done but be patientand mature is anywhere from a year to 2 years but its when they stop changing so drasticly and settle down g

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well..altho crochet disturbes the dreading process in the 1stt year its extra eatra damaging afyer the 1st year when theyre tight and have no movement room to avoid breakage..crochet is just never a good ideaand i really dont like the idea of sewing either id rather just fingertease the loose hairs to encourage them to form a dread but thats only if theyre really annooying me its really best to just ignore em pretend they dont even exist..thats hard to do if theyre blowing in your eyes tho thats the only time id ever bother doing anything with em

--
Messinja
@messinja
14 years ago
7 posts
to piggy back on this topic, how would one go go about "neatening" up for a special occasion like a wedding or job interview? i've been using the floss threaders to sew them back into their respective lock, but i am very open to other methods of maintenance that do not disrupt the growth.
Messinja
@messinja
14 years ago
7 posts
great idea, thanks! straight from the plant i gather? any longer-term solutions?
Messinja
@messinja
14 years ago
7 posts
actually ... lol ... the author of this thread is 5mo... i'm at 5 years and i'm looking for someone to do maintenance exchange with here in the bay area, but to no avail and wanted to explore other alternate means to maintain. thank you for our replies, btw :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why bother? dont waste your time and moneyjust leave the hairs alone..they do not matter..you are the only 1 who even notices themdo u really think the wedding will be a disaster if you dont ficx them?geezstop being so self consouselong term solution...ignore them..there thats a permenant solution

--
Eric Is Asche
@eric-is-asche
14 years ago
37 posts
don't be so one sided s.e. some people. myself included likes dreads to be neater. normally i don't care work or social situations don't matter. but a wedding, funeral, or court are times its good to look very nice and have your hair not look like you have a small nest on the top of yer head when you put yer hair in a pony tail. and i'm not the only one to notice. i know for a FACT other people notice. and i'm sure it happens to other people with dreads. my point is some people like them neater. shit i do. so use the aloe. do a little palm roll. and tie them back. shit after they are tied back i still put a little aloe on the top of my head. it works well. not always for a day or 2. but for a few hours at a wedding. or court.eRic
Messinja
@messinja
14 years ago
7 posts
well, an exchange would only mean a chance for time spent with someone of like mind and nature. i, personally do not see it as time wasted.i completely understand your angle. perhaps i have insecurities that do factor in to some degree, but if i am the groom in a wedding, i will do just that.... groom. heh. but for the most part, i'm okay with the neglect approach for sure. for example, i went on a date last night. i did zero grooming of any kind and it seemed to go swimmingly! but say if a magazine is interested in my photography and wants to meet with me so they can fly me out to Bali for an article they are working on, you can bet i'm going to give the best impression i can and will arrive as cleaned up as i can. nothing wrong with that. every culture, counterculture, subculture, microculture in every continent does it. grant it, *this* particular culture is, for lack of better term, messed up. but i digress.but to just outright say "stop being self consouse" is if anything an abrupt and counterproductive way of giving advice. i'm sure you meant no harm by it, but as a wise and kind person wrote on my profile when first joined this site -"you'll definitely make alot of friends here ..we definitely got 1 of the friendliest sites around"i still believe and hope that still holds true, se.peace, bredrin.

soaringeagle said:
why bother? dont waste your time and money
just leave the hairs alone..they do not matter..you are the only 1 who even notices them
do u really think the wedding will be a disaster if you dont ficx them?
geez
stop being so self consouse

long term solution...ignore them..there thats a permenant solution
Alanja Kristina
@alanja-kristina
14 years ago
2 posts
i have used a very small crochet needle several times and it has really helped..now people please dont gang up on me i'm only giving my honest personal opinion!i do like to do it to get rid of the fuzzys when i see its becoming a problem..but there is no NEED to do it if you dont feel comfortable. they're you're dreads, your piece of art and if you feel that you could help then a little b y crocheting in the fuzz every once in a while, i'd say go for it. if not- you can always wait and they will still turn out beautiful!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form