Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2 months Natural / Neglect Asian Hair living by the beach

Jose Eduardo Belen
@jose-eduardo-belen
14 years ago
10 posts
i live in a small island in the Philippines known around the world as Boracay. i got to the beach everyday to skimboard and swim, i started my dreadlock process 2 months ago, i've got curly hair or lets say wavy hair unlike other asian with smooth silky hair. well basically is, ive done like 4 thinly sectioned TNR dreads will this ruin the natural / neglect dread lock process? and also is it ok if my hair gets salt water everyday im starting to get dandruff and some itching and i plan to get some teatree oil here in the island. Is there anyone kind enough to give me an opinion about this matter? Thanks alot in advance. :)
updated by @jose-eduardo-belen: 02/14/15 06:11:48AM
AciDreams
@acidreams
14 years ago
39 posts
Read around the forum. all your questions will be answered
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
sea salt is great but should be rinseds out after a couple hiurs max and every day can be very dryingit should dread like crazy thohow are u washing and how often

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jose Eduardo Belen
@jose-eduardo-belen
14 years ago
10 posts
Thank you MagicMeganMama, i saw a organic shop here that sells pure tea tree oil. I checked some of my locks and was MOLDS! and kinda freaked out, how can i get them out of my locks?

MagicMeganMama said:
No the TNR will not ruin the rest of your natural neglect process. Just let them be. Salt water is VERY good for helping the hair to dread, but it can be drying if used too much, which is why your scalp is itchy. You might want to do an apple cider vinegar rinse after rinsing the salt water out of your hair (post beach). Some essential oils and teas that work really great for dryness and dandruff are tea tree (don't over use), rosemary, peppermint. chamomile. These worked great for me. And always rinse your hair with really cold water. Works great for the itchies and dandruff. These should all really help.
Jose Eduardo Belen
@jose-eduardo-belen
14 years ago
10 posts
Hi SE ive been reading around the forum for 3 weeks now, and i just signed up today read alot of your isights about locks and i really respect you man. When i swim i dont rinse my hair after i just let it be, i wash my hair with fresh water 3 times a week, is that bad? i aslo have molds in some of my locks, how can i get hem out?

soaringeagle said:
sea salt is great but should be rinseds out after a couple hiurs max and every day can be very drying
it should dread like crazy tho
how are u washing and how often
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
not get them wet every day locks take a long time to dry so mold if they dont dry between getting wetsunlight sun dry them when u cannever ever tie them up even loosely or put on a tam or hat till 100% dryremoving mold strong white vinahyger soak 3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 cup water (adjust up from theyt as needed but 3/4 vinager 1/4 water) and lavender oil pour on leave on (smell will fade in an hour or so)u can also spray on a strong thyme tea and leave onsun dry everytimeand be sure u always get them very dryif your tips are blunt, comb them out so it dries way way faster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jose Eduardo Belen
@jose-eduardo-belen
14 years ago
10 posts
Thanks for everything i'll be doing what you are telling me, i want to take out the molds in my locks im kinda freaking out cause im fairly new to this i just moved to the island 3 months ago and decided to get natural dreadlocks but i still have a long way to go and a lot to learn. i only hope to find some oils that can help i only found tea tree oil.

soaringeagle said:
not get them wet every day locks take a long time to dry so mold if they dont dry between getting wet
sunlight sun dry them when u can
never ever tie them up even loosely or put on a tam or hat till 100% dry

removing mold strong white vinahyger soak 3/4 cup white vinager 1/4 cup water (adjust up from theyt as needed but 3/4 vinager 1/4 water) and lavender oil pour on leave on (smell will fade in an hour or so)
u can also spray on a strong thyme tea and leave on
sun dry everytime

and be sure u always get them very dry

if your tips are blunt, comb them out so it dries way way faster
Jose Eduardo Belen
@jose-eduardo-belen
14 years ago
10 posts
Yeah, u have a couple of them forming but some are just getting hard, dont know when they will lock. i perfer locks that are not uniform thats why i started natural / neglect dreadlocks. Thanks for the advice man. peace.

Chewin Change said:
well it won't ruin the natural process but it certainly won't make all of the dreadlocks have the same texture.

t&r dreads do look different than natural. but they still look pretty cool in my opinion so do what you think is best.

since you're startin out with baby dreads you gotta be gentle and wash gentle and properly. and that's about it :) you'll have a lot less to think about when your hair forms more knots.
Jose Eduardo Belen
@jose-eduardo-belen
14 years ago
10 posts
Cool! I just washed my hair with baking soda and tea tree oil after i swam in the sea. i feel really good im going to buy vinegar tom and do a mixture with lavander oil. the organic shop i went to sells oils like lavander, peppermint etc. i didnt really expect to find them here since its a very very small island. :)

MagicMeganMama said:
Actually, I can't tell the difference from the dreads that I TnR'd and the ones that I just gave up on and went natural with. My hair is waist length (but slowly getting shorter:) and more than half of the length has locked up (4 1/2 months in) and I really couldn't tell you which ones were TnR'd and which ones weren't.

Chewin Change said:
well it won't ruin the natural process but it certainly won't make all of the dreadlocks have the same texture.

t&r dreads do look different than natural. but they still look pretty cool in my opinion so do what you think is best.

since you're startin out with baby dreads you gotta be gentle and wash gentle and properly. and that's about it :) you'll have a lot less to think about when your hair forms more knots.
The Rapture of Exile
@the-rapture-of-exile
14 years ago
33 posts
A tip about oils (seeing how the other bases have been covered) try to avoid essential oils that are for aromatherapy purposes... they are very concentrated. They are usually cheaper though, and if u must go that route, make sure to dilute it very well - for instance thyme oil --when concentrated enough -- is used as embalming fluid because it eats away dead skin and whatnot. Not to scare you or anything, just be aware. Check out some of the other discussions about essential oils. Happy locking!
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form