Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

natural dreadlocks question

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
so I searched the forum first to find answers to a few of the questions i have and couldn't find anything.i'm only on my first week so i know i have a long way to go before i see something happening but i want to make sure i'm not preventing the knots from happening.1. i usually will put on a headband or a bandanna when i go out just to kind of control the chaos. will that prevent knots from forming? i usually will take it off when i'm home and just wear my hair down.2. i wash with bs/acv and i find that my hair is silky soft after. i only use 2 cap fulls of the acv in a liter of water. should i skip the acv or is it necessary?3. i've noticed that other people that are going natural recommend using salt water and spraying lemon juice to help dry the hair and encourage knotting. wouldnt dry hair just break off instead of knot? i sure don't need anymore broken hairs. my first set of backcombed dreads caused enough of those.4. when my hair does start knotting, where would i expect to find knots? at the scalp or along the hair itself?thanks so much for the help!
updated by @heather: 01/13/15 08:47:02PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1 it could as u pull it on and off unknot knots a looser scarf tied on is better2 well acv isnt nesacary exactly every time but u might get dry and itchy withoit itif u use it make it weak and rinse it quick instead of 3 min try 10 sec3 i dunno why they use salt..and lemon since salt dries it to help it knot but lemon conditions it making it soft and silky like vinager i wouldnt use the lemon and it dries it some gives it texture to knot but not really weakness but u dont want to over use itjust to get lil dry..if u get too dry stop and use more vinager to compensate4 it can vary usualy knots 1st near the ends tho but can knot 1st anywhere

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
thanks SE!when i wear a bandanna i usually will loosely tie it just to hold back all the shorter hairs that fall into my eyes. i'll stay away from the headbands though.i was leaving the acv on while i did other things but i'll try rinsing it out quicker and hopefully that will help.i have long hair so i'm kind of assuming it will start to knot along the length of the hair.i usually will kind of scrub my scalp a little when i wash it to remove any oil build up. is that okay or should i not be touching it at all?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
with the baking soda theres no need to scrub and scrubbing wont do anythingso just let it soakif u use shampoos use the fingertips to scrub just the scalp not hair

--
eyeheartchrist
@eyeheartchrist
14 years ago
12 posts
1. no not really, but it may be not so good if left on for more than a day. However after having locks for more than a couple of years it doesn't really matter that much.2. acv is good but for a good percentage of heads it can be strong to be used too often. Baking Soda is wonderful but don't use it on the scalp too often as it can dry it out.3. nah don't worry about that stuff...it could be more harm than help really.4. the roots will always be loose, so naturally it would be in the middle of the roots and tips. neither the tips or roots ever really lock up. :-)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
wellthe baking soda drying the hair is why u use the acv acv reverses the drying tendencyu dilute it its not strong and any scent fades fasti would use it every time

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form