Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Permed A While Ago

Sed G
@sed-g
14 years ago
6 posts
My last perm was around march and since then I haven't put any chemicals in my hair. How much new growth should I have since then? I have long hair but I want dreads and almost everything I see says to cut the damaged relaxed hair. I just want to have an idea of how much hair i would have left if I got it cut and dreaded. Would it be about 4-5 inches?
updated by @sed-g: 01/13/15 08:46:40PM
Sed G
@sed-g
14 years ago
6 posts
Knottysleeves said:
You might not need to cut at all before starting your dreads. It totally depends on how damaged your permed hair is.
Oh ok cool. So is there a way to determine if I have to cut or not?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
umm why backcomb? why not stop combing give it a month and see if it starts to dread?the best indication of if it will caise a problem isnt if u break off every hair on your head backcombing its if it will or wont dread on its ownonce it dreads on its own then u will see if the permed pasrts ave a diferent texture and feel and u can decide if the permed parts should be cut after u already are dreaded

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sed G
@sed-g
14 years ago
6 posts
soaringeagle said:
umm why backcomb? why not stop combing give it a month and see if it starts to dread?

the best indication of if it will caise a problem isnt if u break off every hair on your head backcombing its if it will or wont dread on its own

once it dreads on its own then u will see if the permed pasrts ave a diferent texture and feel and u can decide if the permed parts should be cut after u already are dreaded
Im currently wearing cornrows and haven't attempted to dread yet. So I could get dreads/twists FIRST and determine if it needs to be cut?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
twists they twist way way too tight if its gonna break it will break while twisting it instead just take out the corn tows wash it shake it outr and let it dreadu dont need to do a thing to dreadjust seperate if they try to join togertherthen when its dreaded u can see if the new growth textures too drasticly diferent or if they feel crunchy or weakbut id imagine its fine and u wont notice the texture diference unless u look really close

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Sed G
@sed-g
14 years ago
6 posts
soaringeagle said:
twists they twist way way too tight if its gonna break it will break while twisting it instead just take out the corn tows wash it shake it outr and let it dread
u dont need to do a thing to dread
just seperate if they try to join togerther
then when its dreaded u can see if the new growth textures too drasticly diferent or if they feel crunchy or weak

but id imagine its fine and u wont notice the texture diference unless u look really close
Ok I will try that. I will go to a reccommended person and get it done because I don't like the idea of just not combing because I'm in school. If it Seems ok after a month I will get it done professionally.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Please don't get your dreads done professionally. Locticians rarely know what they're doing and will destroy your hair. Just take some time to read up on things around here, ask questions, and then when you feel that you know what to do, find a good friend to help you start your dreads.
Sed G
@sed-g
14 years ago
6 posts
Alden said:
Please don't get your dreads done professionally. Locticians rarely know what they're doing and will destroy your hair. Just take some time to read up on things around here, ask questions, and then when you feel that you know what to do, find a good friend to help you start your dreads.
I feel where you're coming from. That's something that I hear a lot and I can see why. I've already asked some of my friends with dreads that I liked and most likely I will get them started with the same person that did theirs. I hope I don't have to get more than 2 inches of hair cut though because I already cut my hair and restarted growing it before. But never attempted to get dreads so this will be a first.
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I just don't understand why people ask advice when they are gonna do what they want anyway despite what anyone says...good idea or bad, especially when they have never had dreads........?
Jack Roth
@jack-roth
14 years ago
298 posts
ok dude looks this is the score, salons are not places for dreads ok, Just get ure mates to do them! Its free and a good time. A salon will destroy ure hair even if ure mates use wax or whatever they cannot create the destruction a salon can.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form