Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

rectangle sections = flat dreads?

Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
Just backcombed my hair two weeks ago. My daughter helped me with the sectioning. I'm worried about the top of my head which consists of quite a few rectangles instead of square shaped sections. Will these result in flat dreads in the future? I'm only two weeks in and wonder if I should redo the top before they start to lock up. Most of the backcombing came out so combing them out wouldn't be a problem. I have ridiculously soft hair.
updated by @heather: 02/14/15 03:51:50AM
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
Thanks chewin change. I just worry because most of the top is weird rectangles. I don't want to hate them later. Is there a way to encourage them to be round later on?
Dayna
@dayna
14 years ago
7 posts
I have / have had rectangles. Not really a big deal. None of your dreads will ever be round though!! :)Sometimes I have had a few that seem to keep getting flatter as they grow in. I found it easy to fix with (gasp!) interlocking!!! Not a lot. Just one pull through seemed to work for me. Then they started to round out again. (Oh man, I'm gonna be hated here for suggesting that!!!!)But if your dreads are really new, I would touch em. Let them be. They just need time.Good luck!
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
all my sections are square/rectangular and a few random shapes, they will change alot, but just because the section is one shape, doesn't mean the lock will be :)
D!
@d
14 years ago
44 posts
Triangle section does not equal flat dread, your locks will be fine.
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
hmm. it was different for me. i started out with very large sections. i wanted large dreads, so we did 3 inch sections. little did i know just how big they would be (i ended up ripping most of them once they started to lock up). anyway, a few of mine were rectangle, and they ended up growing very very flat (think of a horizontal sweet potato). i wouldnt redo it because backcombing does a LOT of damage if you do it, undo it, and redo it. best bet is to let em lock up, and rip some of em in half if theyre flat. its easier than you think and you get to keep your hair's strength.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
some of those look bigger then you want em anywayyand so deviding them in 2 might be a good ideai wouldnt comb em out just split emand no nono dont interlock..bad idea igf u really feartr a flat area put a bead over itbutmost of my biggest have teardrop shaped root sections but round dreadsthe section shape dont ereally matter much at allaand neither does the dread shape...who cares if its flat?what makes round better?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
i measured a few on top and they're about 2"x1". the dread itself is smaller than a pencil. i have pretty thin hair so if i were to make it into two i would worry they would be tiny and hard to take care of. i guess i'll wait it out and see what happens.right now nothing is happening. the roots are completely undreaded about 5" and then a little bit of knotting. i'm so eager for the loopy craziness to happen.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no matter how thin the hair and dread now wehen mature they will be 2x1 thats huge u really dont want a dread over 1 inchi would absolutely split those

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
14 years ago
1,291 posts
okay. should i just comb it out and redo? soaringeagle said:
no matter how thin the hair and dread now wehen mature they will be 2x1 thats huge u really dont want a dread over 1 inch

i would absolutely split those
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form