Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What made you start your "Journey"?

mark the shark
@mark-the-shark
14 years ago
10 posts
for the past 8 years i was in the military.. (i have and will always support our troops.. we dont decide where we have to go) i have been out less then 6 months.. not everything i did while active duty i am proud of... so in a profession where you shave daily and cut your hair weekly. i figure the best thing to do to get away from that is "nothing"..Whats your story?
updated by @mark-the-shark: 02/14/15 03:27:19AM
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
Well for me it was many things I guess. I was raised in a cult and I had to cut my hair and shave. I always wanted long hair since I can remember so after I left the cult I started to let my hair grow and I grow my beard every winter. The first time I saw someone with dreads( I was13-14 years old) I knew I wanted some, it seem to 'fit' with who I am. So now I started the journey at 34 and cant wait to see how they are going to be. I guess it's a form of therapy so in a way I also am getting away from it all and slowly becoming what I want to be.
AciDreams
@acidreams
14 years ago
39 posts
I had started my first set because I liked to freak people out and it was just a form of rebelling I guess. But it turned into more of a "spiritual" thing and moreso like a rejection of societies ideals and stuff. Now a year after those were shaved off my head Im neglecting for the journey. I reject vanity and all its evil consequences. And its a good people filter
owen thompson
@owen-thompson
14 years ago
19 posts
right on bro, what branch were u in..same here i was in the marines jus got out like 3 months ago, always wanted dreads myself. always thought before i got out that i was never gonna shave again lol and i didnt for awhile but i guess im too used to that part..knottin up was def the 1st thing on my to do list..
mark the shark
@mark-the-shark
14 years ago
10 posts
i dont think there is a wrong reason to have have the dreads!!@ owen i was in the Army i did a couple tours in Iraq and one to Korea.@Jwood yeah i look at it as therapy too getting away from a routine that wasnt ours..i like the stories guys thanks for replying
Conner Hannon
@conner-hannon
14 years ago
27 posts
Dude, I have always loved the look of dreads but my parents never wanted me to have them. Now I am in college and have researched everything about them. I found that it is more than a look but is also a culture and lifestyle. It was so intriguing to me. Its really like a community and for me it really symbolizes freedom. It also really is a testament to the whole "patience is a virtue" idea.
AciDreams
@acidreams
14 years ago
39 posts
Conner Hannon said:
Dude, I have always loved the look of dreads but my parents never wanted me to have them. Now I am in college and have researched everything about them. I found that it is more than a look but is also a culture and lifestyle. It was so intriguing to me. Its really like a community and for me it really symbolizes freedom. It also really is a testament to the whole "patience is a virtue" idea.
Consider yourself saved!! From the corporate dickheads!
mark the shark
@mark-the-shark
14 years ago
10 posts
love it! AciDreams said:
Conner Hannon said:

Conner Hannon
@conner-hannon
14 years ago
27 posts
lolfor sure man. for sure AciDreams said:
Conner Hannon said:

Katie Murphy
@katie-murphy
14 years ago
30 posts
I'd wanted to dread my hair probably since the first time I saw someone in real life with dreads (probably like 12 or 13) but I never did it, first because my parents wouldn't "let" me, then because I was afraid of not being able to get a job, then because my boss would have had my ass for doing it, then because I work in civil service and with all the retired military around I was afraid of being frowned upon by them. Especially since many of them don't take me seriously anyway because I'm a young girl in an old man's world, if that makes sense. At this point, I've been working there 3 years, I'm comfortable around the people I work with, they know that I do my best to kickass at my job, and what I do with my own hair or body is no one's business but my own, so I decided they can all fuck off if they don't like it. (and while I was at it, I went ahead and got my septum pierced as well, which is another thing I'd never done for fear of OTHER people!)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form