Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to fix tight irritating dread root?

MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Hey all!Most of my hair that is dreaded has about a two to three inch undreaded "root". I like it like that - its "comfy" to me that way and the dreads don't bother me when I sleep. However, I have one dread on the back of my head that is getting REALLY tight and only has about a half to one inch undreaded section at the top. It is irritating me to death! It tends to pull for some reason when I sleep and it tangles with other loose hair and pulls. Does anyone have any suggestions for loosening the root up a little? I have half a mind to try to comb it out altogether and just let it re-dread.Any suggestions would be very welcome!!!Thanks!
updated by @midread: 01/13/15 08:46:08PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hmm is it really thick or something?/ is it pulling the hairs around it making the section too big?/

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Nope, actually it is a skinny dread - a little bigger than pencil diameter. Most of mine are, but it is really, really tight. It is right on the back of my head - almost at the crown on the top layer of my hair. It almost feels like the root has little tiny dreads it it. I kind of feel some "clumpy" areas in the root. It also has a big loop further down, so I wonder if one side of the dread is tighter than the other, causing the loop and it is pulling my hair at the root area. Any ideas SE?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
hmmm well//im not 100% sure this is what u should do but instincts say its worth a try some jojoba or olive oil on your fingertips and "massage" the roots to relax emwhile your at it feel for any hairs that might not belong in that dread and are pulling .

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Well, it can't hurt!!! I will give it a try and see what happens. The worse thing it can do is unravel, but as tight as it is, I doubt a little jojoba oil is gonna cause it to undread.Thanks SE!!
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
I had a couple reads like this. I went through with my fingers and found the hairs in them that were really pulling on my scalp and worked them loose from the dreads.I have actually found that my larger dreads are more comfortable then my thinner ones.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Fixed it!!! I did use the jojoba oil and actually did find that the root was partially dreaded somehow. It was trying to tighten up on me. I worked a little of the dread loose with the oil at the top and actually ended up having to cut a little matted part of hair that I could not pull out of the dread. That must have been the part that was pulling so much and irritating me. After I snipped it loose I ended up being able to work it out of the rest of the dread. No problems with pulling today and I didn't notice anything last night when I was thrashing around.Is it common for dreads to try to tighten up or mat at the roots like that? I don't do any clockwise rubbing or anything with them so I am a little surprised that this one was so matted so close to the scalp.Anyway - thanks for the help SE!
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
some of the dreads on the back of my head try to do this every few months... I don't mess with mine at all either. I think it's just loose hair getting sucked into an uncomfortable spot and then going a little crazy. I don't think there's much you can do about it except fix it when it happens.
MiDread
@midread
14 years ago
187 posts
Cool! Nice to know I am not the only one with a "freaky" dread LOL! I have a lot of loose hair all over so I suppose I can expect this to happen once in a while. Thanks for the input!
Lex
@lex
14 years ago
217 posts
no problem :) it first started happening to me when my dreads really started getting tighter. It's probably a sign that all those loose hairs are starting to collect themselves and dread up. I bet it will sop happening to us when all our sections are settled and we have mature dreads.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form