Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda/ACV...the real story

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
After reading about foam and multiple questions about BS and ACV and the softness that occurs with the dreads, I felt it necessary to post this. Baking Soda is a base and ACV is an acid. The reason why you would want to use these on your hair is quite simple. Hair is healthiest in a 5.5 ph enviroment. Hair colors and perms are alkaline...or base as stated above. Over use of these chemicals causes an imbalance and the hair becomes dry and overprocessed. The dry ,over processed hair begins to tangle and knot. If you follow your BS wash with ACV you are adding an acid...which returns the hair to a more equal ph...that is why the hair feels softer and more silky. Therefore, using the two as a team is optimum, but depending on your hair texture may impede knotting abit at first if your hair is reluctant. Just thought I would put this out there...after 30 years doing hair I was impressed with SE's recommendations for cleansing with this system, given what I already knew.
updated by @panterra-caraway: 01/13/15 08:45:44PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
been wondering how would i test the ph of my hair after using it?would help to get a more optimal reciope if i knew just how much to mix to get 5.5

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mia Elizabeth
@mia-elizabeth
14 years ago
45 posts
thanks for sharing your wisdom with us all! :)
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
SE...when I was in beauty college we used litmus paper to double check ph strengths. So, I imagine you could confirm a BS/ ACV mixture with the paper. As far as checking the actual hair ph, I believe a device called a trichometer would give you that reading...not positive, but it does measure tensile strength (which is the ability of healthy hair to stretch, an indicator of adequate protein, etc.). And Mia, thank you! I have been in the business a long time and have been committed to educating my clients on products and hair structure for years. I feel that people should be given the proper info to help them make informed decisions...so that people like Johnny Clean can be less likely to lie to consumers.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form