Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How offten do you wash with the baking soda wash?

Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts
I had been using knotty boy dread soap to wash my hair about once every week for over a year. All was good till I realized it was causing a lot of buildup. So I've been using a combination of deep cleanse washes and just plain baking soda washes but I've been finding that my hair feels dirty/greasy after just a couple days now. Is this normal? Do I just need to wash more often then before?How often do you wash with the baking soda wash?
updated by @crystal2: 02/14/15 08:06:50AM
Jdwood
@jdwood
14 years ago
275 posts
I don't have dreads yet but I did start to wash with baking soda every 3 days. I put in a few drops of tee tree oil and lavender in the mix. My hair with ordinary shampoo becomes greasy after 2 days but with the baking soda and the essential oils I get an extra day.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i wash twice a weekits probably just cause after using baking soda u feel much cleaner then u everr did while using knottyboy so u notice when your not so cleanwith knottyboy u always fely slightly dirty so didnt really notice as much differencei guess

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts
soaringeagle said:
i wash twice a week

its probably just cause after using baking soda u feel much cleaner then u everr did while using knottyboy so u notice when your not so clean
with knottyboy u always fely slightly dirty so didnt really notice as much difference

i guess
Nah I notice a big difference between when my hair feel clean and when it feel dirty. It gets greasy and itchy when it's dirty. With knotty boy it wouldn't get itchy until close to a week after washing. I'll try twice a week with the baking soda and see if it helps. I suppose it could just be the build up coming out that is making me feel nasty. Or I just need to get used to the new routing... thanks for all the replies though!
Marlee Skye
@marlee-skye
14 years ago
50 posts
See.. Im having dandruf problems too. and I wash with a baking soda wash acv rinse now, 3 times a week.. becuase i was just doing it twice, but i thought i would do a trial couple weeks with washing 3 times a week. I use to gallons of cold water with about a half cup of baking soda in each, and some drops or rosemary oil and tea tree. Than I rinse with a gallong of cold water with prolly 1/3 cup - 1/2 cup acv and than rinse out with one plain cold gallon of water.. and sometimes I rinse it out even more in the shower..Is it my mixture, or how often.. And does it make a difference of how much and such with my dreads being to my mid/upper back. ?I love my dreads, but my dandruf is getting ridiculous! this has to stop! Maxe said:
The baking soda/apple cider vinegar leaves a LOT of scalp buildup/dandruff for me too...I'm not sure whether this is caused by the soda, the vinegar or the essential oils I add... think I'll try using just water for a while and compare.

Oh and I did it like twice a week.
Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts
I did the deep cleanse wash...3/4 cup of baking soda,8-9 drops of tea tree oil,2 table spoons of lemon juice,and 2 table spoons of sea salttwice and then just plain baking soda wash once. I didn't do an acv rinse when I did the deep cleanse but I did the last time I did just baking soda. It is very possible that I didn't get all the baking soda out though. I will play around with the amount of baking soda I use and see if it helps. Knottysleeves said:
How much baking soda are you using? Some scalps work better with more, some with less. You may need to play around with the amount before you find what works best for you.

Also, are you doing an ACV rinse occasionally after rinsing out the baking soda? It's possible you're not getting all the baking soda out and some is getting left behind. The ACV rinse (just a splash or two in a couple cups of water) will neutralize any leftovers.
Crystal2
@crystal2
14 years ago
24 posts
When I had really bad dandruff and itch a couple months back I did an acv/peroxide/water rinse, it helped a TON and it helped instantly. The recipe I came across said 1 part acv, 1 part peroxide to 10 parts water and let sit for 1 minute but I did more and let it sit on my head for about 3-5 minutes before rinsing. Some have concerns about the peroxide though so don't go overboard with it if you try this but it really saved my head! Marlee Skye said:
See.. Im having dandruf problems too. and I wash with a baking soda wash acv rinse now, 3 times a week.. becuase i was just doing it twice, but i thought i would do a trial couple weeks with washing 3 times a week. I use to gallons of cold water with about a half cup of baking soda in each, and some drops or rosemary oil and tea tree. Than I rinse with a gallong of cold water with prolly 1/3 cup - 1/2 cup acv and than rinse out with one plain cold gallon of water.. and sometimes I rinse it out even more in the shower..

Is it my mixture, or how often.. And does it make a difference of how much and such with my dreads being to my mid/upper back. ?
I love my dreads, but my dandruf is getting ridiculous! this has to stop!

Maxe said:
The baking soda/apple cider vinegar leaves a LOT of scalp buildup/dandruff for me too...I'm not sure whether this is caused by the soda, the vinegar or the essential oils I add... think I'll try using just water for a while and compare.

Oh and I did it like twice a week.
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
Ive got to ask.Ive been doing the bs/avc rinse once a week to get rid of any dandruff that might have built up. I shower every other day using dr.b's except the weekend when I use bs/avc. I dont think Im using docter bonners right. do I just dump it one my head or squirt it on my scalp? Ive been putting it on my scalp but that doesnt clean the dreads. just the scalp. it leaves my dreads smelling dirty. and I also want to ask if the dr.b's bar soap would be a better way to clean? and is it as good as maylees?(which I heard is good)
Joe muir
@joe-muir
14 years ago
75 posts
I know it leaves buildup. thats why I want to know about the bar soap.
Justin Gibson
@justin-gibson
14 years ago
42 posts
woah be easy with the proxide if you get it in your eyes you could go blind. oops i just read where you talked aabout it but im sure 1 part h30 and 10 parts water it would be diluted enough not to do anything negitive, but for greasyness and other things after you rinse with bs boil up some thyme rosemary bayleafves and such into a tea and pour over your hair im sure your aware of rosemary you may have not known about thyme and whatnot but it will help to control the oil your hair produces.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form