Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Will I mess everything up?

Atom
@atom
14 years ago
124 posts
I'm goin to use a shampoo n conditioner, just one time, that's meant to take the gold out of my bleached hair n turn it more white. Just wonderin what this does to my hair n if I should do like a deep cleanse afterwards to get any residue out..?
updated by @atom: 01/13/15 08:45:08PM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
You are talking about a blueing shampoo and it will neutralize the gold, not "turn it white". I would be very careful with that if I were you. Put it on your hair but don't leave it to sit too long, depending on your hair's porosity some hair can remain blue or purple and be stained and this could be more likely to happen given the texture and porosity of dreads. It is really essentially like a food coloring and the effects will only be temporary...the hair will most likely become more gold again over time. The best solution would have been if whoever lightened your hair would have done it properly and not removed the lightener prematurely, but what's done is done now. Some hair does hold more gold than others and can become brassy over time even when done correctly, but given your natural color (looks a bit dark) it was probably just not lightened enough. Don't get into the habit of using that blueing agent...you are playing with fire since you have dreads.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I don't know about all of what Panterra said, but I'd take her word for it, being a professional stylist and all.As far as your dreads coming undone when you use it, it may happen, it depends how mature your dreads are right now. I know that they aren't that old, but maturity is something that only you can judge.If they're still a bit loose and fluffy I'd wait for a while. Once they're mature there is little you can do to mess them up (washing wise) but baby and adolescent dreads don't seem to fair well when put thru too much, such as coloring and conditioners.A good test to know if your dreads are capable of standing up to something like coloring or using conditioner is if, when you wash, you can really get into them and dig and rub and squeeze without worry of messing them up. Really, if you are still being delicate with your dreads when you wash, then I would hold off on this conditioner for a bit longer.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
when in doubt wait it out. If panterra says be careful then you should really listen. It just doesn't seem worth the risk to me. It's your choice though just remember you can't take it back but you can always do it later! Many Blessings
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Unfortunately Alden, there is alot Atom can mess up with this blueing shampoo. Dreads are more absorbent than regular hair and the shampoo he is referring to can turn very absorbent regular hair purple or blue. So given that dreads are defintitely more absorbent he has a pretty high chance of having blue/purple hair and the color will not come out. The blueing shampoo is designed to fix color errors if you know how to use it properly and it can be trickier than you think. As for conditioner..I would stay away from it until your dreads mature. If you are thinking to use this conditioner after the blueing because you think it is needed from using that product, you are wrong, but, as I said before...you shouldn't use that blueing agent in the first place.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Oh I'm sure Pan, dreads are like sponges, and from personal experience I know how difficult it can be to color dreads alone. And I've always kinda wondered why old ladies had blue or purple hair, and now I know!!! But then I call most women over the age of 80 'Blue Hairs', lol, I'm sure I'm going to hell!!
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
You hit the nail on the head! That is exactly why the older gals are blue haired! Lol Bet Atom got the idea for this stuff from his Grandma too! Ha! When we get to hell are we gonna nap?!!! Lol Alden said:
Oh I'm sure Pan, dreads are like sponges, and from personal experience I know how difficult it can be to color dreads alone. And I've always kinda wondered why old ladies had blue or purple hair, and now I know!!! But then I call most women over the age of 80 'Blue Hairs', lol, I'm sure I'm going to hell!!
Atom
@atom
14 years ago
124 posts
Noo the creator of the universe made a way for u to not go to hell. Dnt go there! :) but I've actually already used this stuff a few times before.. And not heard from my Gma lol she hates me bleaching my hair. I have already used it once with my dreads too. And I kno it will turn ur hair purple if u leave it too long. But I didn't think about it gettin inside the dread n maybe turnin the inside purple if its not all washed out.. Iono I just found that my hair that's bleached is dreading 20 times better than the rest so im doin all of it. It just fries it but it knots up easier so I dnt mind. I just won't use the shampoo n conditioner this time. :) thanks panterraaaa!

Panterra Caraway said:
You hit the nail on the head! That is exactly why the older gals are blue haired! Lol Bet Atom got the idea for this stuff from his Grandma too! Ha! When we get to hell are we gonna nap?!!! Lol Alden said:
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Welcome Atom! Please be careful....K? Much love. Atom said:
Noo the creator of the universe made a way for u to not go to hell. Dnt go there! :) but I've actually already used this stuff a few times before.. And not heard from my Gma lol she hates me bleaching my hair. I have already used it once with my dreads too. And I kno it will turn ur hair purple if u leave it too long. But I didn't think about it gettin inside the dread n maybe turnin the inside purple if its not all washed out.. Iono I just found that my hair that's bleached is dreading 20 times better than the rest so im doin all of it. It just fries it but it knots up easier so I dnt mind. I just won't use the shampoo n conditioner this time. :) thanks panterraaaa!

Panterra Caraway said:
Atom
@atom
14 years ago
124 posts
yes maam! i promise! :)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form