Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

BEST SHAMPOO FOR DREADS?

new dreddie
@new-dreddie
14 years ago
75 posts
Hi fellow dreaddies!I have been using Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Castile Soap for months. I like the soap, I find it refreshing. It dries my hair out a bit, so I use oils to condition my hair. I have been hearing stories that Dr.Bronner's will cause mildew, mold, etc. I don't want mildew in my hair! Do any of you use Dr. Bronners? Did you experience mold and mildew? Please help me out because I am willing to change shampoo if I need to!Thanks!
updated by @new-dreddie: 02/14/15 04:05:37PM
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Dr Bronners doesn't cause mold..dreads get moldy if they have water in them that never properly dries. Like if someone goes to sleep with wet dreads often. As long as your hair dries completely between washes you will be fine.Dr Bs is a good soap if you have soft water..Maybe in places where it doesn't rinse out well(leaves a greasy texture) it could cause some mold issues...idk ... but if your hair isn't greasy then it doesn't apply to you anyways. If you wanna change, the baking soda wash is really good too :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
i highly recomend the baking soda (search the site for super clean) or the maylees bars in our shops

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
14 years ago
75 posts
Thanks everyone!I haven't tried the baking soda+ACV rince combo. If I still know my chemistry, the combination will form a reaction that breaks through the dirt, etc? LOL! Knottysleeves said:
Dr B's doesn't encourage mold or mildew any more than any other shampoo or soap. It does however leave a sticky residue for some people, especially in hard water areas.

Have you tried the baking soda + ACV wash? The ACV will help condition your hair as well as make it super clean!
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
14 years ago
75 posts
typo "rinse" new dreddie said:
Thanks everyone!
I haven't tried the baking soda+ACV rince combo. If I still know my chemistry, the combination will form a reaction that breaks through the dirt, etc? LOL!

Knottysleeves said:
Dr B's doesn't encourage mold or mildew any more than any other shampoo or soap. It does however leave a sticky residue for some people, especially in hard water areas.

Have you tried the baking soda + ACV wash? The ACV will help condition your hair as well as make it super clean!
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
14 years ago
75 posts
thanks! raw sum said:
that and wil balance the ph of your scalp :)

new dreddie said:
typo "rinse"

new dreddie said:
Thanks everyone!
I haven't tried the baking soda+ACV rince combo. If I still know my chemistry, the combination will form a reaction that breaks through the dirt, etc? LOL!

Knottysleeves said:

Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
dr.b is fine i used it on my last set of dreads for many years with no mold mildew etc...i find the maylee's garden shampoo bar will fix dry hair right up 50% in one wash no lie! only other stuff ibe ever used on the regular was African black soap (the real stuff not the stuff u get in a supermarket) which is da bomb for any skin or scalp issues!
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I agree with the others, mildew and mold is from dampness.I LOVE backing soda with a few drops of peppermint oil.I use a bar soap for dreads that mountain sky makes once and awhile just to change things up but love going back to the simple deep clean of BS&P.
new dreddie
@new-dreddie
14 years ago
75 posts
Thanks Heather and Island Mamma! :)
pixie
@pixie
14 years ago
144 posts
I had been using Dr Bronners for several months. The thing is I found that my roots were becoming "sticky." So I switched to the Baking Soda/Apple Cider Vinegar rinse. Way happier with the results. My dreads feel cleaner and like they dry faster. Also I don't experience as much "frizz" as I was with Dr. B.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form