Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Greetings!

Tara D
@tara-d
14 years ago
27 posts
Ni hao =]I previously had dreadlocks for 2 years, which whilst they may have looked decent, I have since learnt were probably just held together with wax! I decided to get rid of them about 5 years ago and gradually started to miss them more as time went on. I sort of got to a stage where I felt lost in an idea of what I thought I wanted to be with regards to my education/career, and since realising this have been doing everything possible to claw the true me back. My dreads were a big part of this, as I absolutely loved having them, and without them I began to feel that when people looked at me, they weren't seeing me at all.When I got them chopped out last time I always told myself that once I got myself a PhD placement (My first real career milestone) I would get them back again. So, sure enough, once I got my place confirmed, I asked my supervisor his thoughts on the matter and his response was '...I don't care what you wear or what your hair looks like.'. SO refreshing to find a person that undersands that appearance in no way negates capability. Especially when they're going to be your boss for the next 3 1/2 years!This time i decided to bleach them before dreading them, as my brown-blonde hair became really dull when it was dreaded last time. This does mean I do need to keep bleaching the roots, but also enables me to dye random dreads different colours if i choose to! It also ensured that my hair will dread quite nicely, as my hair is naturally quite dry anyway even without bleaching.I also decided to keep a fringe (bangs) in this time, as I felt it would give me a little flexibility with regards to hairstyles - and so far this has proven great =] I started my dreads with simply sectioning and backcombing (well, my bf did the backcombing - I just sat there and occasionally squirmed!) and currently have open ends, but am undecided as to whether to round them up or not just yet... we'll see how I feel in a few months time.I am so grateful that I found this site before starting dreading, as it advised me against using dread wax, and SE has since informed me that it will be a bad idea to crochet them. I expect the site and its members will continue to provide handy little tips to get my dreads well on their way to maturity.Anyway, enough of the dreads - A little about me:I currently live in Birmingham, England, but will shortly move 3 hours east to Norwich, still England, to start a PhD in Organic Synthesis. What does everyone do for a living? I am especially interested to hear from other science bods, as to if their dreads affect how they are accepted in the field (good or bad).After I have finished that life chapter (2014!!) I intend to travel for a little while before settling in Brisbane/Queensland, Aus. I like living in England, but hate living in this city as when it rains, the whole world goes grey. I'm definately more a sunny climes kinda girl - hence the intended move to Aus.Whilst I don't identify with the need for organised religion, I do aspire to certain aspects of Buddhist/Daoist/Confucianist belief along with certain Rastafari ideas (I and I).In my spare time I like to make jewellery, take photographs, do poi, and dance. I intend to start capoeira when I move also. Unfortunately at the moment I seem to spend most of my waking hours chained to my computer writing up research, but that will be over soon and I will be free again! At least for a little while.Anyway, its great to be here, and I'd love to hear from you =] T xx
updated by @tara-d: 02/14/15 05:33:28AM
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
Welcome to you! You sound like a very interesting person. I hope your dread journey this time will be even more exciting, I know this site and the people here will be a wonderful addition to your life. SE is very wise and he will always tell you the truth. Knotty Sleeves is also very wise and she can always help you with questions. Island Mama knows alot about natural remedies and herbs. Tyler Durden is always good for a laugh and Neil Coe is our very talented bead man...he is also very levelheaded. I make tams, as well as Heather and a few others. Fae has beautiful dreads if you need inspiration. Anyways, you will find a very cool bunch here. Welcome and blessings to you!
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
Glad to have been relagated to a standup comedian position :P
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
14 years ago
667 posts
I knew you would say that...you took my bait! I sooo love you Tyler and you are much more than a comedian but predictable! I knew I would get you! :P Tyler Durden said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
your awesome 1 of our members is actualy a rocket scientist but hes not on alot (very busy)boyt the tipsthe loose tips help em dry way way way faster and personaly i think theyre sexyto me blunt tips look like your trying to dread and loose like your simply just dreadingi believe in letting em blunt if they wanna but not forcing em

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
you and your jew traps! Panterra Caraway said:
I knew you would say that...you took my bait! I sooo love you Tyler and you are much more than a comedian but predictable! I knew I would get you! :P

Tyler Durden said:
Tara D
@tara-d
14 years ago
27 posts
PC - Thank you - excellent advice and people to look out for =]Tyler - Theres a lot to be said for a bonafide comedian! What a boring world we'd have without them hey?Bobbi - Its so good to find a boss like that isn't it! People are obviously starting to open their minds more these days. It also helps as it puts you in a position to educate other people as to why dreads don't automatically mean we're all smelly and lazy - I used to love nothing more than getting people to stick their noses in my dreads and have a good whif - including my self-righteous ex's mother who was convinced her son had started smelling more since I'd come on the scene! Put her straight of course =DKnotty - Thank you, Thank you =]SE - Thanks =D I can see how that would make him busy - I should probably be busy too but ho hum ;) I used to have blunt tips last time round and was convinced that was the best... but I'm starting to think the loose tips make my dreads look a little more natural and as my hairs quite curly I have a sweet little curl at the end of each dread now that I think I may become attached to. And if they help them to dry out more effectively then theres no arguement really!Rachael - I haven't actually been to Aus - ever! I'm actually scared to go because why would I want to come back? If I get this PhD out the way then I don't need to come back ;) There are many other reasons that I have become disillusioned with this country, but we'll not go into that here =] For now it does well, and it does have its upsides occasionally =]I originally grew up in Wolves, but moved near to Sutton to go to college when I was 16 and have been living here since! Brum just seemed like a step-up from Wolvo as a teenager! I did study at Aston for 3 years too though which was quite handy =]Did you not want to raise kiddies in Aus then, or was it more a having the family near thing? Where abouts near Brum do you live?T xx
recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
Hi & welcome Tara:)Glad to hear you're letting yourself be who you wanna be. It's the only real path to happiness huh. I live in Brisbane and have for the last 15 years. It's a great city, even though I've spent most of my time on it's outskirts, it has plenty of great things to do and see.Although not not exactly a science, my role in warehousing has me performing experiments to give the younger lot I work with some backbone and ethics! I'm failing miserably at earning a PhD in arsekickery, but like you I have bosses who are quite accepting of me and my style. As long as the work is of a high standard etc etc..Anything you need to know is more than likely going to be covered somewhere on the site. I find the search bar up the top to be great whenever I have a question.
Tara D
@tara-d
14 years ago
27 posts
Thanks =]I've found it quite liberating to realise that I wasn't as happy as I could be, and its fun finding the ways in which to make it so - and yes, its the only real path =] I am incredibly jealous of your location! Where did you live before and what made you choose Bris? I hear many good things about the place =]Ahh its good to hear of more bosses that judge you by your performance and not your appearance, no matter what area you work in =] Do you reckon there are any company MDs with 'locks? Would be interesting to find out =D Defying stereotypes and that =]A PhD in arsekickery... I could use me one of them =D Keep at it, I'm sure we'll be able to call you Doctor 'do your bloody work else I'll lay the smackdown...' before long =D but what do you mean by experiments? I now have mental images of you precariously balancing stacks of stuff on high shelves and tasking them with problem solving... ;)Txx
recoverytrouble
@recoverytrouble
14 years ago
70 posts
I moved to Brisbane from my home town further north in Queensland after finishing school. I had originally moved to study, having extended family already living here. Once the study plans extinguished themselves I just stayed. I really can't see myself ever permanently living anywhere else.Experiments have been the usual fare; leading by example (my fave), yelling & being a prick, rewarding better than mediocre effort, demonstrating once then letting them go for it. All while wearing a white coat and safety goggles. I'll need a wealthy benefactor to continue developing further studies in these fields =P
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form