Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Been searching this site for over 4 hours and still have questions..............

IEUO
@ieuo
14 years ago
2 posts
Hello everyone!I'm not a big fan of most forums but where there is is help and knowledge I'm there.I've never had dreads before but have been desiring them for years now. I however have no clue where to start, I only know the end result I want.Basically I want my dreads off to the side and down to my waist. Without having some strange looking top.They will be dyed alternating white and black with the sides of my head shaved (all sides, that is only hair on top). I HIGHLY prefer smooth thin dreads.My hair can knot up pretty easily, literally after a few hours and it grows extremely fast, around a foot a year (Don't know if that helps).Any thoughts?I know more of a question than an introduction but that's me. :)
updated by @ieuo: 02/14/15 08:15:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
let em dread seperate into thin dreadsumm dreads arent smoothif they are smooth they are ruinedthe only way to make em smooth is to use crap thats destructiveand when u dread u will find that the dreads that refuse to behave the way u want become the ones u love the most u think u like em a certain way and u can drive yourself crazy trying to get em that way and in the end the 1 thats least that way will be the 1 u loveok sothey will dread up real fact..too fast so u need to keep an eye on controlling the sizeseperate em often till they are fully dreadeddye em if u want but carefully it can be damagingbeads can help control the process early on

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
I'm not sure what you really mean...but dreads are dreads and they really are all the same. You can start them with twist and rip. That will give you even sections with the thickness you want, but like SE says, they will most likely not stay straight and smooth for long. As dreads tighten they contract and shorten creating loops and bumps. There is really no way around this unless you want to use tools that cut and shred the tightening hairs which puts them at risk of breaking off completely.
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
yeah everything but the colour seems possible however yeah they wont be smooth not if they are real hair but bleaching and a dread that long is asking for trouble bleach damages hair no matter how u do it and the longer and heavier they are the more likely they are to break bottom line...i mean if your dead set on the colour maybe real hair isnt wat u need ? i mean people see these folks walking around with neon pink and black butt length dreads and think oh hey thats cool i wanna try that but wat they dont realize is most of the time most of that "hair" is fake which is fine cause a real dread that long just isnt gonna hold up to that much bleach and if ur gonna undercut putting in double ended dread extensions shouldnt be too hard i mean ive never been one to recommend synthetic dreads (just seems well weired to me) but i realize its a hairstyle that some people dig and thats cool....ive known bleachers whove ruind dreads so im not just blowing smoke up ur ass i mean imho skip the colour and just go for the dreads or use synth
Kellye
@kellye
14 years ago
91 posts
i think dreadhawks are bad ass if i ever shave my head thas what i'm doing. sorry if i didnt really answer your question. But i think it sounds really cool.
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
14 years ago
393 posts
I'll second the suggestion for synth dreads Knottysleeves said:
Welcome!

Those are really specific requirements. I hate to say it, but maybe synth dreads are your best bet. Dreads have their own personality and the results can't be controlled unless you put in constant effort using icky products and damaging methods. A custom-made set of synth dreads would only have to be reinstalled every 4 months or so, and would be a LOT less work to maintain.
IEUO
@ieuo
14 years ago
2 posts
First off, thanks for all the helpful and insightful comments :)I REALLY want to avoid synthetic hair. I honestly couldn't do it.I also don't mind constant work, I do it anyways keeping my hair straight (about every few hours).Can someone explain how would it be fragile?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
to make dreads smooth you have to do damaging wotrk to them dreads are not meant to be smoothso you have these choiceswax it builds up inside u dont really dread u just constantly palm roll hair into wax and it looks like ropes ewwwcrochet u poke holes in the dreads breaking hairs to pull em in tighter they require constant repair foreverfelting again poking holes but this way shreading everu hair to peices makes it extremely wealanything u do to force your dreads to look less dread like will do harm rolling away causes friction damageand seriusly the smooth fake looking dreades arent worth itif your gonna dread dread for realnatural dreads are the best IEUO said:
I REALLY want to avoid synthetic hair. I honestly couldn't do it.

I also don't mind constant work, I do it anyways keeping my hair straight (about every few hours).

Can someone explain how would it be fragile?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
sounds like you want a hairstyle that you can have a lot of control over and really dreads are more about having patience and letting go of control. Your vision is very specific and YEARS away(if ever) from being possible. Bleach damages hair severely and causes a lot of breakage. Even if you use a clay bleach I've never sen someone with SUPER long bleached dreads, even after years.
Leanna Evans
@leanna-evans
12 years ago
2 posts

You should know, this statement caused me to have an epiphany. As I was/am somewhat in the same predicament as the starter of this discussion. Thinking my dreadies should be this smooth and blunted frizz free conformity. But no.. it's not. Think about it.. What would a Rasta do? WWRD --- wa word

NaturalWomyn said:

"..... and really dreads are more about having patience and letting go of control."
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form