Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
In general, most people on this site are for as natural a journey as possible, however, wax wouldn't be so widely used if it weren't affective.That being said, wax is affective on dreads in the same way that medication is affective for the body. Used properly, it can be beneficial, but if too much is applied at once or if it's not completely removed prior to adding more and is allowed to compact and compile then you end up with mold and rot issues.Wax is not meant to make your hair dread, it is meant to assist with the process and meant to be used lightly and sparingly.Even still, if used and removed properly, you are still walking a fine line. Your best bet for healthy, long living dreads is to just avoid anything that could cause harm to them. I.E. don't use wax unless you are willing to risk the time, effort, and hair involved in creating your dreads.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Oh, and props for actually doing a bit of research. So many people dive in with 'knowledge' acquired from rumor, myth, and hear-say and then end up crying and whining because the honey and dog crap mixture they've been putting in their hair for the last few weeks is just making their hair sticky and smelly.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i disagree that its benificial in any waywax glues haitr topgether preventing movementif u wax and then palm rioll like a maniac it still will dread but requires 100 times more work and more timeand in the end they will almost certainly be cut in 3-4 years because they start to rotlooks can be decieving they can look like dreads but just be hair glued together and not really dreaded

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
That's a really good point that I didn't think to mention. No offense, but if you're just researching now, then you probably lack the experience to judge healthy dreads from unhealthy dreads based upon the feel rather than the look.And SE is right about the wax gluing hair in place and not allowing it to move, that's just another reason to avoid waxing.
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
was being widely used does not = effective! LOL It just means that there are more and more SHEEPLE falling for the lies the media portrays.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
baking soda to wash theres also amazing dread soaps in our shopsother then that the last thing u want is productswell when mature they may need some conditioning so aloe jojoba cocoa butter theres several optionstill mature sea salt spraysherbs to treat conditions like dandruff or oilinessthis site has every bit of info u will ever need and all info u can trust from real dreadheads who have made every possible mistake there is so u wont have to make anymost had lost dreads to dread wax so know 1st hand how bad wax isif u need pictures in the wax thread theres some that will for sure scare u away from wax for lifethe 1 dread was cut open 1/2 way up the dread to show the gross waxthen 1 quick palm roll glued iit back together to look like a perfect (but stiff) dread again the dreads u saw could probably be pulled apart as easily then rolled back into shape..not really dreaded just hair stuck in wax...gross Cheyenne Elizabeth Medlock said:
No offense taken. I fully recognize I'm not a dread expert, hence this post. I just want to make sure I'm taking the best possible route for my dreads. Is there any product that would be good for my dreads, excluding wax of course? i.e. Soap, shampoo, etc?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
I found wax analogy with medication funny...lolyou can rinse with baking soda/apple cider vinegar (there is a thread about it) ..use that with essential oils and thats all the "product" you'll ever need...:)) Cheyenne Elizabeth Medlock said:
No offense taken. I fully recognize I'm not a dread expert, hence this post. I just want to make sure I'm taking the best possible route for my dreads. Is there any product that would be good for my dreads, excluding wax of course? i.e. Soap, shampoo, etc?
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Natural herbs are the best thing for them, if you must use anything at all. There are a number of great threads in here describing good herbs and methods of using them.Side note* I'm not advocating the use of wax or any other product for dreads. Wax 'can be' effective depending upon your desired results, I've used it and it's horrible, but I didn't dread for the appearance of them like many do. Please don't misconstrue what I've said, that wasn't my intent.
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
Time and Patience..that's all you need...it is a wonderful journey you take with your dreads..and both grow and learn from each other...its a very symbiotic relationship that works on spiritual level..and isnt the idea of using natural freely available stuff fr ur dreads super cool?? thats one of the reasons i found this site magical...no need to stress about dreads..just let it go and they do their thing..beautiful.. Cheyenne Elizabeth Medlock said:
I love the idea of using natural things to clean my dreads. They seem so low maintenance, where as the wax made it sound very.. high maintenance. I've noticed everyone that used wax (on dreadhead's site) talked about spending hours getting their hair to dread. Using the natural way, it just happens over time right? Its not like I have to dedicate one night to creating my locks.
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
oh if you follow dhhq routine to dreads...you'll b jobless spending 24hrs peppa-ing...docta-ing..rubbing...rolling..flipping..your dreads till you got biceps like stallone (frm all the palm rolling) and dreads that smell and feel like candles..those sheeps there are the saddest looking dreadies ever Cheyenne Elizabeth Medlock said:
I love the idea of using natural things to clean my dreads. They seem so low maintenance, where as the wax made it sound very.. high maintenance. I've noticed everyone that used wax (on dreadhead's site) talked about spending hours getting their hair to dread. Using the natural way, it just happens over time right? Its not like I have to dedicate one night to creating my locks.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form