Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Mama Harrison's TnR Timeline

Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
I 'started' my dreadlocks using the TnR method. I did have someone section (although it was sporadic not symmetrical sections) and then we braided the sections since I wasn't able to finish this process in one sitting (I have a TON of hair and a baby). It took me 9 days to TnR my whole head--I have approx 140-160 thin to medium locks. I don't have a great before pic, but my hair was mid back--so--I did lose a bit of length, but not too much. I LOVE them!Long Before--this was a few years ago, but itis the only pic i could find with my hair daown. WHen I started TnR my hair way about 6 inches shorter--so--instead of below my breasts it was just above my breasts.

I just uploaded my 1 month album photos. My pics aren't great, but you can see how tight they were from the TnR at the root in the beginning and how they have loosened at the root and look much nicer and more natural now. I am entering a crazy stage, I think, every morning when I wake up I have another dreadlock that has gone totally loopy on me. They are tightening up nice on the length of the locks and never really came undone much like many complain about. Although they are fuzzier than a month ago, I don't think they are very fuzzy at all (obviously this could change any day) although I have had to make 3 new dreadlocks from all the extra hairs that have escaped from their designated locks.I have been washing 2x a week with baking soda rinse/ACV rinse and peppermint oil. I spray the length with a sea salt lavender EO mix 3 or 4 times throughout the day on the day prior to my wash and i think this helps to keep them tight and the frizzies at bay.I absolutely love them and am sad that it took me 10 years to finally lock my hair, but I can see where it may not have been right for me before now and I appreciate that. It feels like I have had them forever already. I thought I would dye them or use some extensions to make them more presentable or likable to me, but I LOVE them just the way they are. Lots of pride in knowing I did it myself. THanks for the info to this group :)

The top of my head :)

updated by @mama-harrison: 02/14/15 06:50:21PM
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
2 month photos and my 30th Birthday :)shitty webcam pics--our camera is broken :(--i didn't want to miss a month though because they change so much!with my 13 month old daughter just out of bed.

loopiness

this what they look like in action--cleaning the house with my daughter wrapped on my back :)

I continue to absolutely LOVE my dreadlocks! I have always had the kind of hair that 'turned heads'--you know--long, the kind of blonde that people pay money for @ a salon, SUPER thick with tons of volume and a nice body wave, but I was never 'happy' with it. I don't have time or energy for 'doing' my hair--washing, blow drying, setting, fussing, styling--and I never learned how to do anything with it but put it in a ponytail, which in my mother's opinion was, 'such a waste of my beautiful hair'. I wish I would have done this a decade ago--now when I look in the mirror I see ME instead of a hyper manicured version of myself and when people stare at me at least I know that I am representing my true self not some idealized version of beauty that our culture has pinned tried to pin on me.Very liberating, indeed.
updated by @mama-harrison: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,639 posts
best timeline ever and those dreads look freaking amazing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
thanks SE--for the compliments, support and info!
Heather Gamble
@heather-gamble
14 years ago
145 posts
wow.....thats a lot of hair
Beth
@beth
14 years ago
2 posts
I abso-f****ing-lutely love your dreads! And I feel the same way about mine. My hair was down to my waist and thick. Now I wonder why I didn't do this years ago! Beautiful Mama!Peace and Blessings!
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
uh...yea. a fucking ton of hair. if i could get paid to grow hair and nails i'd be a rich woman. i have about 160 dreadlocks and i keep finding more. heather said:
wow.....thats a lot of hair
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
thanks for the love :) yours look fantastic too! Beth said:
I abso-f****ing-lutely love your dreads! And I feel the same way about mine. My hair was down to my waist and thick. Now I wonder why I didn't do this years ago! Beautiful Mama!

Peace and Blessings!
Gingernut
@gingernut
14 years ago
6 posts
I just had to register to say THANK YOU for posting your pictures. I have lusted after dreads for a long time, but never had the guts to actually go for them. I have spent the last 2 days searching the web for info as I wanted skinny dreads, but could find very few pics of people with similar hair & squealed when I saw yours as they are stunning & our hair types are so similar (except I'm a red head!)!!!!! I had nearly made an appointment to have them crocheted, but now know I can do them my self just how I want!!Yours are just so gorgeous & have made up my mind & inspired me. If we didn't have an important family meal booked on Monday I would start right now with the twist & ripping, but as I have so much long hair I know its going to take days!You even just added new pictures as I was showing my husband your thread & saying 'Look, look this is what I want! I just wish she had updated so I could see how they are progressing' & you had with scrummy baby wearing pics too (I am a UK sling vendor!! :D )THANK YOU!!!!! (OK enough of the gushing now *blush*)
Mama Harrison
@mama-harrison
14 years ago
117 posts
SO very happy to have been able to help and inspire! This was a decision I thought about for many years (a decade actually) and I never found the 'kind' of dreadlocks that i wanted. I finally made an appt. to have mine PERMED ( yuck-ola!) even though I knew it would ruin my hair I thought it was my only recourse. I made one post here and had an open enough mind to hear what SE and everyone else told me--thought about it for a week and then started TnR. It took me 9 days to complete them, but it was so well worth it! My hair is still healthy and i can say that I did these myself vs. OVER paid someone to 'make' dreads for me.This is the reason that I decided that I would post my timeline--so that someone like you would be able to see that it can be done and that you will love them!I can't wait to see photos of yours! I have always dreamed our next daughter would be a redhead--I was for the first year of my life. I am an avid babywearer--gotta keep em close <3. I am stalking the TBW/NM FSOT forums as we speak for my next wrap--hehe. I am IDSO a gira natural mama wrap size 6 or 7--keep your eye out for me please!!! Do you have a website? Gingernut said:
I just had to register to say THANK YOU for posting your pictures. I have lusted after dreads for a long time, but never had the guts to actually go for them. I have spent the last 2 days searching the web for info as I wanted skinny dreads, but could find very few pics of people with similar hair & squealed when I saw yours as they are stunning & our hair types are so similar (except I'm a red head!)!!!!! I had nearly made an appointment to have them crocheted, but now know I can do them my self just how I want!!
Yours are just so gorgeous & have made up my mind & inspired me. If we didn't have an important family meal booked on Monday I would start right now with the twist & ripping, but as I have so much long hair I know its going to take days!You even just added new pictures as I was showing my husband your thread & saying 'Look, look this is what I want! I just wish she had updated so I could see how they are progressing' & you had with scrummy baby wearing pics too (I am a UK sling vendor!! :D )THANK YOU!!!!! (OK enough of the gushing now *blush*)
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form