Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hi, I'm new - just introducing myself

Becky Master
@becky-master
14 years ago
5 posts
Hi there, I'm Becky. I'm new on here and joined really to get information and advice - as well as to hear from people less narrow minded than those living locally to me!!! I'm a mum of 3 under 8yrs who have all of my time! I seem to be drawn towards things generally seen by the rest of society as being a slightly more 'alternative' way of doing things and live in a semi rural part of Scotland where many local people feel compelled to pass comment!Anyway, 2 months ago I had my dreads put in in a salon. I've been palm rolling whenever I have time (generally daily though) and realise they will take 6 months plus to mature. BUT I'm getting worried about them - 2 of them in particular. Over all they're really fuzzy now with what seems like more loose hairs sticking out than those in the dread (well probably not more but you know what I mean) and the 2 I'm really worried about seem to have undone themselves so that they are now about 4 inches of unknotted root (out of about 14 inches of dread). I thought about trying to re backcomb these 2 dreads, but the section below is now fairly well knotted! They both happen to be right at the front too!! Will this hair eventually knot up? (I have straight caucasian hair) Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
updated by @becky-master: 01/13/15 08:41:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
1 salon was a huge mistake!2 stop palm rolling its pointless3 u used wax and crap all u need to do is get all that crap out of your hair!! wax prevents dreading! thats why u gottas palm rioll constantly to simulate the movement youd get if u didnt habve wax in thereremove all wax do not i repeat do not attempt to rebackcomb!just remove wax and stop palm rolling and messing with emafter u remove r=wax make a sea salt spray (2 dollars will make 385 bottles of acelerator now arent u glad u paid 10 for 1 from dreadheadhq?)use the sea salt spray weekly b4 u wash and wear a wool tam whenever u wantjust be patientbut the wacx has set u back by alot they dread 3 rimes faster without wax

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Welcome and I'm glad you found us! Please don't re-backcomb! That's severely damaging! The rest of your hair will lock up. Did they use wax? If so follow the guide for wax removal. wax will slow down the locking process as will palm rolling all the time. Just remove the wax if you used any and leave your hair alone. Separate if the try to congo (join together) at the roots. Good Luck
Becky Master
@becky-master
14 years ago
5 posts
Right, so I just read your replies after I finished reading the dreaducation section on this sight. Now I wish I'd read this before posting as I'm clearly really uneducated when it comes to dreads! Thank you both for your replies - yes, they used wax in the salon, and I've used it once since. But to be honest I hated how it felt and haven't used it since. I was using the lock pepper religeously, until I went on holiday and didn't have time. (funily enough that was when my scalp stopped itching!!). So totally admit I've been had by the product pushers adn wish I'd found this site first! I really like the concept of not putting any products in my hair (I don't usually, perhaps why I hated the wax feeling so much). I guess I'm just nervous that they won't lock up themselves. I have never had the opportunity of knowing somebody growing dreads - so it's all new to me. What do you do about stray hairs between dreads? (these are mainly along my hairline). Oh - and I had another question, I know products leaving residue are a no-no, but can you use things like bath bombs / essential oils in the bath etc (probably a stupid question, but it's been bugging me!)Cheers,Becky.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
if u usde a few drops of esential oils for medicinal purposes its all goodand stray hairs are normal especialy around the hairline that will always be the last to dreadu can try twist and rip on e,m or wrap em round the roots or just leave em be and eventauly they will become baby dreadseven tho u used wax just twice id do wax removal it is evil to get out!lock pepa is store bought dandruff and dreadheadhq shampoo causes dandruff tooi would never use anything from themlearn yo love a lil loose hairs lumps bumps zig zags etc theyre all part of dreading and part of the organic beautyand stop palm rolling if u need the excersize u were getting by doing that then take up a hoby instead

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Hey!Even if you only used wax twice there is still probably a good amount in there that needs to be removed. Especially if they put it at the salon, the probably used a lot :/ .. there's a guy on here who used it once and now that he is trying to split a few fatties he's discovering a bunch of black icky gunkAll you need to do is wash whenever you need and separate if they start to congo :)
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
Welcome to the site Becky... You are already in company of some dread "gurus" who have given you some solid solid advice...EVen I didnt knw loads of dreadies in personal life till I found this site...they will love and support and aid you in whatever possible way...Glad to have you here. Congrats on your super awsome dreads in advance. :)PS- LUV THE FUZZ!
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
Glad you found some helpful info! Try not to stress too much just continue along with wax removal methods even once you feel all the wax is out. Forget about your hair for a while, try not to look in the mirror too much and embrace your loose hair, all the bumps and loopies that's what makes them unique! Many Blessings
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form