Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums
Daniel2
@daniel2
14 years ago
62 posts
I don't have dreads now but each day that goes by i want them badly. My hair is currently a little over 6 inches long and it's wavy. My plan is to get dreads once I graduate since this following year im a senior, I'm going to wait after graduation because I dnt want to go thru the process during the school year. After doing some research about starting, I'm going to do the backcombing/palmrolling/crochet thing, but NO wax at all. I know there's more to that than I know but that's where you guys come in. One BIGquestion that I have is, does it matter if I have dry/damaged hair when starting the lock process? I'm going to get the dry/dam. hair trimmed today but I dnt want to cause it means my hair will be shorter, sooo does it matter, should I just ignore it and let my continue to grow, or not? Well this is it for now, I'm new here so hello everyone!

this pic was taken July 11, 5 days ago
updated by @daniel2: 02/14/15 11:24:24AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
no u do not want to crochet or palm roll and backcomb isnt all that great eitherdont trim why would u trim your hairs in good shape for dreadingthrow away your comb todaywhen u graduate if you dont already have dreads ..twist and ripcrochet is extreme damage..u dont want that

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Go natural all this time spent wishing you had dreads you could have been growing them and had them by now.
Daniel2
@daniel2
14 years ago
62 posts
Soaringeagle,so if crochet/palmroll/backcomb isnt a good method, what is?also, how is twist and rip done?Island,when you say by going natural means not combing/messing with my hair right?and I'd want to wait till my hair is longer to dread, or do you think it's long enough?
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
PLEASE don't crochet!! Especially if you have dry hair. It WILL cause your dreads to fall out eventually. It's extremely damaging and very hard to stop. Read around the site a bit and i guarantee you'll find some crochet horror stories that will change your mind! Palm rolling is pretty pointless and also damaging if done too much. Backcombing also not a great idea if your hair is dry, it too is damaging. Don't cut your hair let it grow and try to even out. It looks pretty short still in the front. Just stop combing and conditioning and gradually your dreads will form. Why wait?
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
alrite yo chek out my pics man i did the twist and rip method to deread my hair and im almost a month in and theyre doing great and no damage to them at all see here chek out this twist and rip guide man clik on this link http://www.dreadlockssite.com/page/twist-and-rip-method-dreading#axzz0trwB2nNP
Daniel2
@daniel2
14 years ago
62 posts
Thanks everyone for your feed back. I've been exploring the site a bit more and learned about the twist and rip method, so I'm definitely going to do that. (thanks spaceman for link)I will NOT do the backcombing/crochet method, maybe palm rolling though. I don't want to do it the natural way, rather t&r.Again thanks
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
why not natural natural is the best way

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I think that you should take things a little more slowly. You were deciding to do some of the worst and most damage things to your hair to get dreadlocks and now you've decided to go with T&R...good choice! But I think you should slow down a bit and look things over. Now I'm not going to try to change your mind about T&R because that is a good way to go. A ton better than what you wanted to do at first. But you could go natural right after graduation and your dreads could represent you forming your own life. Sorta like what I did. I decided that the day that I moved out I was gonna dread and that was one of the top ten best decisions of my life. Haha. But if you do not want to go with my suggestion then you could do the T&R after grad. and instead of making a decision to palm roll or any other damaging or useless techniques you could give your hair time to dread and THEN decide. I feel like it's important to give the natural method a try before jumping in and saying, oh, I want to do this, this and this to get my hair to become awesome locks. It doesn't work that way. Even with T&R you have to build a lot of patience and commitment and maybe even more so than with natural because some if not most of the T&R job is likely to fall apart. Just think about it. You may change your mind. Natural dreading is very enlightening and it can change you, enlighten you and make you think differently about life and that is why I say wait till Graduation to decide on what the method to madness will be. Natural dreading right after HS or some other big occasion in life is a great way to learn about yourself. Good luck to ya, bud.
Daniel2
@daniel2
14 years ago
62 posts
I really don't want to it the natural way, I'm not talking bad about it but wouldn't like to see my hair all messy and I've heard/read it takes months even years to get good looking dreads if done all natural. You might say "well dreads do take months and patience to get them", but (i believe) if done the t&r method, it atleast looks a little more developed, i hope i explained myself right. GreyGargoyle said:
I think that you should take things a little more slowly. You were deciding to do some of the worst and most damage things to your hair to get dreadlocks and now you've decided to go with T&R...good choice! But I think you should slow down a bit and look things over. Now I'm not going to try to change your mind about T&R because that is a good way to go. A ton better than what you wanted to do at first. But you could go natural right after graduation and your dreads could represent you forming your own life. Sorta like what I did. I decided that the day that I moved out I was gonna dread and that was one of the top ten best decisions of my life. Haha. But if you do not want to go with my suggestion then you could do the T&R after grad. and instead of making a decision to palm roll or any other damaging or useless techniques you could give your hair time to dread and THEN decide. I feel like it's important to give the natural method a try before jumping in and saying, oh, I want to do this, this and this to get my hair to become awesome locks. It doesn't work that way. Even with T&R you have to build a lot of patience and commitment and maybe even more so than with natural because some if not most of the T&R job is likely to fall apart. Just think about it. You may change your mind. Natural dreading is very enlightening and it can change you, enlighten you and make you think differently about life and that is why I say wait till Graduation to decide on what the method to madness will be. Natural dreading right after HS or some other big occasion in life is a great way to learn about yourself. Good luck to ya, bud.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form