Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread Wax: Lesson learned. Not even ONCE. *updated with promised photo*

Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts

So just now i learned a nifty little lesson in the wax dept..

So i was ripping a dread in half that was very thick and was going very against the natural separation of my hair. My dreads were backcombed, but some sections were huge and rectangle (some were 3", most were between 2-2.5"). ive got one more to go on the other side of my skull. top back corners of the skull if that gives an idea of position. anyway, so i was ripping them in half and as i was getting close to the root i noticed a lot of black sticky stuff starting to accumulate on my hands.. i rubbed my hands together and instantly recognized it as wax. This kind of creeps me out, i thought my hair was mostly wax free as i only used it the day of backcombing and that was it... but its still there. What creeps me out even more is that dread was on the top layer, right where the most hot water hits it in the shower so that one should have been the cleanest. i guess i need to make a trip to the supermarket for some baking soda later and wash the hell out of my hair. I really didnt think even one waxing would have that much of a permanent effect in my dreads, but it did.

also, i noticed that the wax was most noticeable right around the worst loop i had on my head. Something interesting i thought i'd note, i dont know if that part would help anybody out.

If anybody says that just once wont hurt, they're wrong. i dont know how johnny clean sleeps at night on his candlesticks. its utterly disgusting.

EDIT: when i made this post i had promised pics. i just now went through all of my old posts to find the pic, and here it is lol. you can see it the most near the tip but it was ALL through the dread.

updated by @jackal: 02/03/18 04:11:53PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea i tell ppl all the time that once is too much but they believe in overwaxing so believe lil bit wont hurt..but it does

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
hey, thats a great idea, KS >:) Its DHHQ wax. was thinking of KB but i went with dhhq. SE, if i were to do that, would you have anything to add? Knottysleeves said:
Ugh. At least you discovered it now, not a year or two later when it would be even harder to get out!
The big loop makes sense, actually... the wax was preventing some of those hairs from moving freely so a big ol' loopie formed in the immobile area.BTW: When splitting dreads, it's SO much easier to split downwards from the roots instead of upwards from the tip!You should complain to the maker of whichever wax you used (DHHQ, KB etc) and ask them to explain how this could possibly happen from just one waxing, based on all the claims they make about their wax washing out, etc.
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
If i did, then he would be in luck on that subject. im using HIS shampoo :P Knottysleeves said:
I'm sure you'll get told you overwaxed and it's your own fault, or that it couldn't possibly be dread wax but just some crap from your shampoo etc... but there's no harm in trying, right? ;-) Good luck and let us know how the complaint goes.
Renee
@renee
14 years ago
22 posts
I have to thank you for this post, and the title in particular! All of my experiences with dreads have included waxing when first starting out. So when, after at least 5 years of consideration, I decided to go for it, I did backcombing, waxing, and palm rolling. I did not use a ton of wax, but used it on each individual dread. I finished last night after about 15 hours of work, and then today found this site.I thought, "well, I only did it once, I'll be ok." Then I saw your thread, and this, on top of all of the other sage advice on why not to use wax, drove me into the shower for several rounds of wax removal therapy.Luckily, we have about 13 aloe plants flourishing in our backyard. :) I wish there was some way to recover the money spent on the wax, but I guess it's a small price to pay for a lesson learned.Thanks!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
as soon as i saw your 1 say dreaded my 1st thought was oh god i hope she didnt wax but sorta assumed u did thats just iit way too many ppl find the truth just a lil too late but thankfully for u it was just 1 day not a week or moreso glad u found us

--
SillyWalkingMinister
@sillywalkingminister
14 years ago
327 posts
HOLY SWEET JESUS OF ALL THAT IS PURE AND SWEET.....Even I used wax once (beeswax)!! I really dont feel it but this is scary...damnnnnnnnbut even if wax is there..it cant be in the new growth rite??i can just concentrate of areas around the tips...gonna scrub those suckers tomorrow...
NaturalWomyn
@naturalwomyn
14 years ago
849 posts
is there any way to stickie this so new people first coming on can read it?? I think it's pretty important for those who unknowingly defend wax.I'm sorry this happened to you. Keep up with the removal and let us know how it goes. Many Blessings
Jackal
@jackal
14 years ago
132 posts
well im so happy that i was able to help make a difference with even one head of dreads. we have almost the same story. 5+ years of consideration, finally did it with wax and rolling and found this site less than a week later :) you'll feel so much better about your hair once you get it out.To knottysleeves, nah i ended up not calling in. i think it would be a waste of my time as id just get the overwaxing or crap from shampoo or other label. i just decided to get it out myself and not worry about it. in another one of my posts where i asked a question about ripping dreads, i have a photo on it that shows where i ripped one of my thicker dreads and you can see all of the wax and shit built up in it. ill upload it to this thread since it seems to be useful in this thread relating to it Renee Speir said:
I have to thank you for this post, and the title in particular! All of my experiences with dreads have included waxing when first starting out. So when, after at least 5 years of consideration, I decided to go for it, I did backcombing, waxing, and palm rolling. I did not use a ton of wax, but used it on each individual dread. I finished last night after about 15 hours of work, and then today found this site.

I thought, "well, I only did it once, I'll be ok." Then I saw your thread, and this, on top of all of the other sage advice on why not to use wax, drove me into the shower for several rounds of wax removal therapy.

Luckily, we have about 13 aloe plants flourishing in our backyard. :) I wish there was some way to recover the money spent on the wax, but I guess it's a small price to pay for a lesson learned.

Thanks!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
jonny is settin up an 800 number to praise wax so u will get your chance to complain and i hope u do

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form