Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Residue, no matter what?

Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
It seems no matter how/when/what I wash with I feel residue My scalp always feels fine, but my hair doesnt.What I've tried..Dr Bronners Peppermint diluted 12:1Baking Soda wash. But maybe Im doing it wrong? Im doing 1/4 cup BS to a gallon of water. with random oilsLike I said, my scalp feels ok, but my hair just feels icky. Like its coated with something....Is there anything else I can try?
updated by @nicole: 01/13/15 08:39:23PM
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
for the baking soda wash i used 1 tbsp of baking soda per every cup. i used 7 cups of water. then like between 20-30 drops of oils... i soaked my head in it for like 15 minutes and there is really nothing at all on my hair. i just undid a fat dread in the back of my head and there is absoltely no smell whatsoever and nothing in it, and it's been 6 days since i washed it. so maybe try those measurements out and then see what happens. are you sure there is stuff in your hair? maybe it is jus tyour hairs natural texture...?
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
I thought about that. It might be the natural texture, Ive been using chemicals on it forever :/. 20-30 drops of oils? That seems like a TON. Ill try your mixture tho. What oils do you use? JESSICA EVA said:
for the baking soda wash i used 1 tbsp of baking soda per every cup. i used 7 cups of water. then like between 20-30 drops of oils... i soaked my head in it for like 15 minutes and there is really nothing at all on my hair. i just undid a fat dread in the back of my head and there is absoltely no smell whatsoever and nothing in it, and it's been 6 days since i washed it. so maybe try that out and then see what happens. are you sure there is stuff in your hair? maybe it is jus tyour hairs natural texture...?
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Mine was like yours. Here is what I did. Take a ton of baking soda...like a quater of a pound and pour it into a gallon of water. Stir it around really well and then get your hair really wet. Now stick your hair into the gallon of water or pour it on, whatever. Then let it sit in your hair for ten minutes or fifteen minutes. After that, get your hair wet again but don't rinse ALL the baking soda out...then take a handful of baking soda and pat it all over your hair. If it takes two or three handfuls then do it! Don't skimp out on the baking soda, use a lot. Now leave it in your hair for ten or fifteen minutes again. This will get out all of those crappy residues for good! After the fifteen minutes is up, rinse all the baking soda out of your hair with hot water. Rinse for a good five minutes. Then use a white vinegar rinse...if all you have is ACV then just use that, that is fine. I recommend the white vinegar just because it's stronger. Either way you need to use a good bit of vinegar. I used about fifteen spoonfuls of vinegar mixed with water. Just rinse it with that and finally let it air dry. This cured me of all residues finally and for good. Good luck! My hair is so clean and light now.
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
Dying to do this now, but I dont want to go to bed with wet hair so ill do in in the morning :) THANK YOU. It must be back-biuld up. Its all gummy :/ GreyGargoyle said:
Mine was like yours. Here is what I did. Take a ton of baking soda...like a quater of a pound and pour it into a gallon of water. Stir it around really well and then get your hair really wet. Now stick your hair into the gallon of water or pour it on, whatever. Then let it sit in your hair for ten minutes or fifteen minutes. After that, get your hair wet again but don't rinse ALL the baking soda out...then take a handful of baking soda and pat it all over your hair. If it takes two or three handfuls then do it! Don't skimp out on the baking soda, use a lot. Now leave it in your hair for ten or fifteen minutes again. This will get out all of those crappy residues for good! After the fifteen minutes is up, rinse all the baking soda out of your hair with hot water. Rinse for a good five minutes. Then use a white vinegar rinse...if all you have is ACV then just use that, that is fine. I recommend the white vinegar just because it's stronger. Either way you need to use a good bit of vinegar. I used about fifteen spoonfuls of vinegar mixed with water. Just rinse it with that and finally let it air dry. This cured me of all residues finally and for good. Good luck! My hair is so clean and light now.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
No problem! =) I do this about once a month now just to make sure that my hair stays really clean and it seems to really help the locking process. Nicole said:
Dying to do this now, but I dont want to go to bed with wet hair so ill do in in the morning :) THANK YOU. It must be back-biuld up. Its all gummy :/

GreyGargoyle said:
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
No, do I have to every time? Knottysleeves said:
Are you neutralizing the baking soda by doing an ACV rinse after the plain water rinse? Just a splash or two of ACV in a couple cups of water. Lemon juice works well too.

Also, try the baking soda wash without any oils or additives, and do the ACV rinse afterwards. See if that makes any difference.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
I do. The baking soda changes the PH level of the hair and the ACV puts the hair back to it's natural PH level. Don't worry if you haven't been doing that. I didn't use the rinse a few times and it didn't seem to hurt anything. Hair is really strong but all damage accumulates over time and as far as I know there is nothing to repair damage to hair. Nicole said:
No, do I have to every time?

Knottysleeves said:
Are you neutralizing the baking soda by doing an ACV rinse after the plain water rinse? Just a splash or two of ACV in a couple cups of water. Lemon juice works well too.

Also, try the baking soda wash without any oils or additives, and do the ACV rinse afterwards. See if that makes any difference.
Emily
@emily
14 years ago
203 posts
I do the acv every time. it makes it feel soo much better you should try it!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form