Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

i want dreads, but i dont want dreads that look like dreads

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
i twitter tweet got me thinkingalot of the future dreadies drawn to crochet and products dreads have this "i want dreads but they gotta be perfect neat tidy even uniform fuzzless frizzless lumpless loopless straight round blunt (and stiff/sticky)" dreadsthey see dreads and think thats what they want (maybe because someone once said dreads are cool so they wanna bne cool) but they get the idea that they shouldnt want dreads that look like dreads look.instead they should have a style that looks like dreads would look if they werent so..dreadfull and yes they do look at real dreads as undesirable unless theyre manicured into a perfect conformity.i just wonder wouldnt braids be less trouble?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/04/18 01:48:28AM
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
wheni first looked into dreads i wanted exactly wut u put up here, but luckily i found this site and it turned me away from wax and crochet and all that other stuff i think my dreads look good and i use no products i do it cuz i think its a lifestyle, not just a hairstyle u knoe
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mmhmm exactly

--
SpacemanTravis
@spacemantravis
14 years ago
127 posts
im happy with wut i got i was blind but now i see
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
when I started looking around, I saw some vids on youtube of perfect dreads.. marley studio or something. Everyone saying that they were perfect and I thought that too.. but eventually I stopped watching the vids because all of the dreads looked the same, so there was no point watching any more. That's when I realized that I wanted my dreads to BE MINE.
Earthstudios
@earthstudios
14 years ago
108 posts
I have faith this website will prevail to the undusputed #1 deadlock lifechoice site on the internet and all dread product phonys will crumble and only truth will be spread. Some might even venture to say this will be the place that will connect us all, and together we'll create a nicer, kinder world for our children......."There will come a time when the Earth grows sick and when it does a tribe will gather from all the cultures of the World who believe in deeds and not words. They will work to heal it...they will be known as the "Warriors of the Rainbow." www.welcomehome.org 96WY 97OR 00MT 01ID 06CO
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
paula i saw that marley studios and all its "rasta" promoting and all i could say was how dare they advertise using rasta and marley when the methods they used were basicly blasphemous to the rasta way

--
Capri
@capri
14 years ago
5 posts
I have to agree.. My dreads are messy because I like them that way... To me messy is beautiful... But I don't think people with maintained dreads are wrong, that's just how they view beautiful... Anyways I understand the damage doing certain methods could cause but honestly it isn't that much more worse that using curling irons or striaghteners on one's hair... Idk I just think people should do what they want... As long as they are aware of what they are doing :)

The Dreaded Shell said:
this is awfully judgemental haha and I thought dreadies were all about personal choice I keep my dreads neat because that's what I do, just because I do does that mean I am viewed as someone who looks down on others that don't choose to keep them like mine? lol this is a bit short sighted...
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
imo there's a difference between neatness and striving for absolute uniformity in locks, I guess it's all somewhere in between there.you have people who spend hours upon hours forcing/manipulating something that constantly works against them(as in hiding as many loose hairs as possible, sucking in bumps and all)and also people who just do it occasionally and don't always crochet at the sign of things, but do simpler things like using beads/wraps/stitches at the roots (which I've found to be a better substitute rather than crocheting every time I see tufts of loosened hair)there are ways to be neat without aggressively trying to "Fix" your hair,you find you enjoy the changes as they occur, be it seeing bumps come and go, or loose hair joining or creating new locks, you come to appreciate all these changes,you can tidy and change this to adapt to your life, but coming back that question, braids are something much simpler than trying to force your hair to look a certain way constantly and being discontent and inpatient for so long.anyway just an opinion, thanks for listening :)I have crocheted occasionally, and most likely will continue to do so lightly from time to time. (mostly because when I do so, I don't feel like I'm doing it zealously which in turn makes me feel like im somewhere in between the natural and forced look, so I feel no real loss, and (arguably) gain)
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I like your analogy :) Sister Rags said:
I am constantly amazed and stunned throughout my life at how many people are truly afraid to give up control, let go, and be free. It's as though...even if someone unlocked the cage and said "FLY!" most people would remain cowering in the corner of their cage, afraid of the opened door.

updated by @island-mamma: 07/23/15 06:18:31PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form