14 years ago
8 posts
i wanna wrap a few and i know i can use hemp, but what else works?thanks :]
updated by @amanda4: 01/13/15 08:39:14PM
Akal Sahai
@akal-sahai
14 years ago
39 posts
You can use embroidery floss which should hold up pretty well. I've used hand-dyed hand-spun wool (it looked soo pretty) as well. The wool will felt with wear and wash, and my concern was it would felt into my hair, but it didn't for shorter periods of wear (think like 3 weeks to a month is as long as I kept mine in).Ribbons are another alternative, but would need to be the right texture (not too slippery) and right width (smaller).
Amanda4
@amanda4
14 years ago
8 posts
okay thanks ill try it :)
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
14 years ago
362 posts
You can also consider using acrylic yarn for something a bit longer lasting. I'm too wishy-washy when it comes to my dreads and decorating them, but it's lasted me a loooooong time without trying to fuse with the dread ( like wool yarn can do after a while ) or rotting. Plus it comes in TONS of different colors... I love wrapping mine in the variegated colors cause you never know how the wrap will turn out!
Amanda4
@amanda4
14 years ago
8 posts
alright cool, i'll try that too. wheres the best place to get it?
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Craft stores are good for finding colorful yarns and embroidery thread, wool yarn is good in the winter, helps promote movement via static. I can't generally find what I need at a superstore, you'll have to find a craft place near by.
Amanda4
@amanda4
14 years ago
8 posts
alright thanks dude, that helped alot (:
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
Great ideas Sister. Sister Rags said:
Anything. Strips of fabric cut as wide or as narrow as you want. All sorts of yarns...cotton, rayon, silk, acrylic. A shoelace. Personally, I love colorful hemp string.
Amanda4
@amanda4
14 years ago
8 posts
yea i def want them to be colorful too. before i got dreads i used to dye hemp and use that or ribbon. but all ideas are appreciated, i'm gonna try it all :)
Kiwi Chick
@kiwi-chick
14 years ago
28 posts
HI. DONT MEAN TO HIJAK THE THREAD, BUT WHAT ARE THE REASONS FOR WRAPPING A LOCK! ANYTHING SPECIFIC.. IM JUST ABOUT TO WRAP SOME OF MINES CAUSE IT LOOKS SO COOL LOL CAN YOU WRAP IF DREADS ARE 2 MONTHS IN, WOULD THIS SLOW THE DREAD PROCESS?
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form