Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What's Next?

Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
My crochet are almost out. We have 7 left to do. So far we've had to leave 3 with an inch of the crochet at the root. They are just too knotted :(. Iv'e lost ALOT of hair, more than just the regular loss because we've had to cut some pieces that were just beyond combing out :(. I'm going to jump right in the natural method, mostly because of the hair loss. My hair is noticeably thinner. :/A few questions:I've used alot of conditioner. What can I use to get my hair residue free? I've heard that a vinegar soak will strip off build up?Will my hair thicken up again over time?And I just want to do the baking soda/water washing from here on out? No fingering? No combing? Just wash and let it go?Sectioning when needed?Thanks again! :)
updated by @nicole: 02/14/15 10:58:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well vinagar will help but u might wanna try a clarifying shampoo like nutragena daily clarifying just to strip buildup

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
JESSICA EVA (Eva Lovelocks)
@jessica-eva-eva-lovelocks
14 years ago
217 posts
i think if i were you i would spend a couple weeks recovering my hair and scalp from the damage you did while combing out the dreads before you go all neglect. that's just me, i'd want to start off with strong hair.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I agree with Jessica, I'd also do some recovery for at least a week, do some hot oil treatments, deep conditioning and deep cleaning and then start in with the backing soda wash and neglect. I wouldn't worry about brushing though, just conditioning for a week, crocheting broke a lot of your hair you wanna strengthen it first.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
And BIG dready hugs to you Nicole, you must be feeling a lot of anxiety over this (((HUGS)))
Akal Sahai
@akal-sahai
14 years ago
39 posts
I think just leaving it alone and starting neglect, but condition after a mild stripping will do. the aspect of letting them form on their own is a gentle process in itself, causing the least amount of damage, even compared to how most people normally care for their hair with maintenance.You'll know when to separate, because it will feel like the roots are one massive tangle with separate "dreadlings" hanging from them. Not really dreads, but sections of hair starting to find their buddies and form a section. After you wash and it dries, you'll notice this huge tangle, and I have to leave mine alone until it dries to make any sense of it because when it's wet it feels like an insane mess and is hard to do anything to until dry. My hair's really wavy too so that might be part of why mine feels like that.So, wash and let it go, and as it starts forming it's tangles (mine took 3-4 weeks to really get that tangly root mass) pull the root tangles apart by section to keep them sectioned. it's really random sections, and if you have root tangles already from the crocheted ones then you probably already have most of your 'base" dreads (sections) going.Your hair will get better and stronger because hair always does as new hairs come in. We lose and grow 50- 100 new hairs daily. It'll get better, and when it feels like your hair isn't really doing much of anything at all, it likely means that you're right on the cusp of all kinds of new dreading activity going on. Life always seems to work like that.Oh, and the baking soda wash works really great! I also recommend Maylee's Garden shampoo bars (you can find her in the dreadshops section). They have a very excellent conditioning aspect to them, made my hair much softer after washing than baking soda alone, and quite clean too. Smells fabulous, my entire family is in love with them, husband, kids, all of us.
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
So, in a sense, wouldnt that be starting neglect? :) If Im not brushing and all? Island Mamma said:
I agree with Jessica, I'd also do some recovery for at least a week, do some hot oil treatments, deep conditioning and deep cleaning and then start in with the backing soda wash and neglect. I wouldn't worry about brushing though, just conditioning for a week, crocheting broke a lot of your hair you wanna strengthen it first.
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
So, do maybe an ACV rinse and condition with what? I dont want to leave anything in my hair. Dont comb it or anything now? Just jump right in? I think that starting neglect first off would be healthier than combing/conditioning daily. Wouldnt it? Mama Christina said:
I think just leaving it alone and starting neglect, but condition after a mild stripping will do. the aspect of letting them form on their own is a gentle process in itself, causing the least amount of damage, even compared to how most people normally care for their hair with maintenance.

You'll know when to separate, because it will feel like the roots are one massive tangle with separate "dreadlings" hanging from them. Not really dreads, but sections of hair starting to find their buddies and form a section. After you wash and it dries, you'll notice this huge tangle, and I have to leave mine alone until it dries to make any sense of it because when it's wet it feels like an insane mess and is hard to do anything to until dry. My hair's really wavy too so that might be part of why mine feels like that.

So, wash and let it go, and as it starts forming it's tangles (mine took 3-4 weeks to really get that tangly root mass) pull the root tangles apart by section to keep them sectioned. it's really random sections, and if you have root tangles already from the crocheted ones then you probably already have most of your 'base" dreads (sections) going.

Your hair will get better and stronger because hair always does as new hairs come in. We lose and grow 50- 100 new hairs daily. It'll get better, and when it feels like your hair isn't really doing much of anything at all, it likely means that you're right on the cusp of all kinds of new dreading activity going on. Life always seems to work like that.

Oh, and the baking soda wash works really great! I also recommend Maylee's Garden shampoo bars (you can find her in the dreadshops section). They have a very excellent conditioning aspect to them, made my hair much softer after washing than baking soda alone, and quite clean too. Smells fabulous, my entire family is in love with them, husband, kids, all of us.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well what theyre saying isd you have pretty damaged hair so at least 1 good hot oil treatment will help then remove residues and begin neglect

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Nicole
@nicole
14 years ago
125 posts
Ok. WE ARE DONE with the removal. I wouldnt wish that on anyone! All in all, 3 days and about 7 hours to get them all out. I do have 1 in still (too tight to get out) and 10 'root' bases left. I was losing way too much hair :/.My plan now is:ACV rinse (1/2 acv 1/2 water) on hair. Letting it soak for about 30 mins. Then, an ION/protein treatment. Then a Neutregena Daily Clarifying wash with another acv rinse. Tomorrow Ill do a baking soda wash and start neglecting. :) I figure neglect has got to be the best way to 'heal' my hair.Ill update my timeline with pics tonight too. Im sure Ill be back with posts about how to section. :)Oh, and my 10 year old wants to join in with my 18 year old and I. :) We decided to make this a special journey with the 3 of us. Im pretty excited.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form