Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

natural neglect dreads in weeks not years

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
I know my own natural/neglect dreads were getting "nice dreads" compliments in weeks not months, not years, but i also see around here alot of dreads forming in just a few weeks naturally.now i am aware in some cases, it can take longer, but since it seems more often then nit dreads form in a few weeks or a couple months naturally i think its pretty clear sites that say they won't even look like dreads for up to 4 years are simply lying to scare you into buying products.even amongst people who reject these products you often hear "i wish i could go natural, but i don't think i have the patience to wait a year or 2 to dread", so they don't even try, not even for a week. or if they do try they make it 4 days then twist n rip or backcomb.its even more confusing when you see people say "i wanted dreads for 10 years" or "since i was a kid" so when the time comes they backcomb crochet wax whatever wanting dreads in a day. they wait 10 long years for the dreads they want, then cant wait just weeks to see if they would dread that fast.i'm not criticizing anyone's decision to dread those ways, im just commenting on a trend i noticed. i was looking through te timelines here and seeing natural dreads forming in 2 weeks flat and just wondering.. why is it so hard to wait just weeks and see what might happen?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/03/18 03:14:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
well its not all dhhq thats true everyone selling a "better way" to dread has to make the old way seem unappealing and the lie just spread and spread till it was taken as truth

--
neil coe
@neil-coe
14 years ago
361 posts
yea i really like this SE, especially were you said "they wait 10 long years for the dreads they want, then cant wait just weeks to see if they would dread that fast." very true, whats the rush lol, i myself was thinking of it for sometime now, i just started the natural path, and am so surprised how fast its showing, within 6 days i can see them wanting to tangle together, well you can see pics here................. http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/got-to-start-somewhere#axzz0rGgaYy8t
CrazyDaizy99
@crazydaizy99
14 years ago
81 posts
Crap!!! These are all scare tactics. Try by "nature" doing the crap techniques :) just do without quest ioning :)
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
Yea I was the total opposite! Lol I started by twisting and minor tnr, but for the past week and a half I've done nothing except wash it. It's tangling on it's own just fine. My sister did tnr and has been locking her for a few months now and she's "jealous" of how much smoother mine are coming in such a short amount of time. My friends who did all kinds of methods, who are black and have much kinkier hair than mine, keep asking me how I got mines to start locking so quickly. They don't believe I've done almost nothing. XD

soaringeagle said:
well its not all dhhq thats true everyone selling a "better way" to dread has to make the old way seem unappealing and the lie just spread and spread till it was taken as truth
Akal Sahai
@akal-sahai
14 years ago
39 posts
All the regular old suburban moms at my kids school were all "for" my dreading process when I updated on FB (lol) that I was going to dread my hair. Then they wanted to know what happened because the t&r I had around my face were loose and they thought I took them out. They all are shocked that it might take a year for them to be more separate like the dreads they have pictured in their minds and all I ever hear is "OMG I DON"T HAVE THE PATIENCE FOR THAT!". Then when I try to explain that YES I WASH my hair (first question when I say I'm letting them form naturally is "so what, do you just not wash your hair" and insert that awful tone of voice like you grew up in the valley) and it's a really nice journey of letting go and how spiritual it is...well, they stop listening and begin to want to talk about something else. No one has freakin' patience for anything. You're right SE, people do sound like contradictions by saying they wanted dreads for x number of years only to want to have insta-dreads from the salon.I get asked "what happens if by the time a year comes around you want them out?" Now, why the hell would I go down this path if I didn't like them? Well, they don't understand the process anyhow so I guess they don't understand the mentality. Like my DH always says, "there's nothing wrong with you, you're just talking to the wrong people".Thank the gods for this site so there's a safe haven.
nicoleina
@nicoleina
14 years ago
9 posts
i had my bf's mom do mine- all the same as you- section, backcomb, wax, and then she told me to palm-roll constantly and root rub often. i saw others she did and they looked great, so i didn't think twice. we waxed one more time before i figured it out for myself, just hated being sticky all the time. now, a year later my dreads look ok and i've recently stopped all rubbing and rolling but they are pretty damn stiff and very dry. i have a BUNCH of loose hair that wont show any signs of dreading. i did the baking soda cleanse and it helped somewhat- but i dont know at this point if i can rescue them or perhaps (*sob*) should start all over.... Lisa McRae said:
It was everywhere! I couldn't find a site that was for natural... My huge problem/question was if I shouldn't use wax, then what DO I use to start my dreads. As far as I understood everything I should palm roll as often as possible, I should backcomb (I've never even heard of crochet or t&r) separate daily wash every 3-4 days, clockwise rubbing on the scalp and tips, and use wax the first time. I wasn't going to do it at all because I was so confused about how I could possibly start them without wax. When I moved, I typed in Ottawa Dreads in Google and found someone who would start my dreads without wax, I thought I was saved and that this was some kind of new development or something, I thought it was perfect and everything was great. If only I researched a little longer I would've come across this site. *sigh.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
do the full wax removal listed at top of front pagekeep doing it agressivlythe more wax u get out the better nicoleina said:
i had my bf's mom do mine- all the same as you- section, backcomb, wax, and then she told me to palm-roll constantly and root rub often. i saw others she did and they looked great, so i didn't think twice. we waxed one more time before i figured it out for myself, just hated being sticky all the time. now, a year later my dreads look ok and i've recently stopped all rubbing and rolling but they are pretty damn stiff and very dry. i have a BUNCH of loose hair that wont show any signs of dreading. i did the baking soda cleanse and it helped somewhat- but i dont know at this point if i can rescue them or perhaps (*sob*) should start all over....

Lisa McRae said:
It was everywhere! I couldn't find a site that was for natural... My huge problem/question was if I shouldn't use wax, then what DO I use to start my dreads. As far as I understood everything I should palm roll as often as possible, I should backcomb (I've never even heard of crochet or t&r) separate daily wash every 3-4 days, clockwise rubbing on the scalp and tips, and use wax the first time. I wasn't going to do it at all because I was so confused about how I could possibly start them without wax. When I moved, I typed in Ottawa Dreads in Google and found someone who would start my dreads without wax, I thought I was saved and that this was some kind of new development or something, I thought it was perfect and everything was great. If only I researched a little longer I would've come across this site. *sigh.

--
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
I kinda like the horrible mess of hair I have to be honest. It may not be due to wax but whatever. At least it looks normal. "perfect hair" creeps me out. Like doll hair or some crap. O.o

Sister Rags said:
Nic, don't start over...no need. Do as SE said - wax removal - and work on getting your mature dreads in nice condition. I know it's hard, but for now, don't worry about the loose hair...it'll catch up & dread; for now, enjoy your head of hair as it journeys. I'm not trying to give you a lecture, just coming form my own similar experience.

updated by @zeefighter: 07/13/15 11:51:22AM
nicoleina
@nicoleina
14 years ago
9 posts
thanks you all! there are 3 methods of wax removal- which one do you all suggest? and for conditioning? i am so glad i found this site. i really dont want to cut em off, i want to keep them for a long long time. so health is paramount. cheers! Sister Rags said:
Yeah, I agree 100%. Except, I like doll hair that messed up...like a ragdoll that gets a lotta love : ))
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form