Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Neglect Method Question. (For all those who have gone Neglect)

Aaron"TheLegend"
@aaronthelegend
14 years ago
283 posts
Well hello to everyone who is reading this!! So the question I have for the neglect dreadheads! How long did it take till your hair started to tangle around?I ask this question because I TnR some of my hair because I wanted to give it that little jump start (help the section process). Well only like 7 or 8 are still stuck while the rest of my hair is just....straight and oily ha ha. It's almost been a month since I started and I wanted to know how long it took you guys till yours formed.
updated by @aaronthelegend: 02/14/15 10:58:23AM
Cavewoman
@cavewoman
14 years ago
165 posts
oooo, the same things happening to me, and I've been wondering the same thing, so thanks for starting this! haha
ZeeFighter
@zeefighter
14 years ago
153 posts
I'm not doing the neglect method, but I know a few who have. I also have a friend who has never combed or cut any of her sons hair so they can have natural locks. With each person it's different. Truly. Some people it takes a few months, so years, some only a year. :3
Aaron"TheLegend"
@aaronthelegend
14 years ago
283 posts
I feel like I should just TnR them again and make em a little tighter(like a smudge) so then they can loosen up and do a better job....instead of just becoming straight hair again.
Akal Sahai
@akal-sahai
14 years ago
39 posts
After about a month (maybe 3 weeks) I noticed the back of my hair underneath was tangling up. Washing it 2x a week was helping a lot because after it dried, it would knot up more. it basically felt like a huge tangle at the base of my head, and I just separated it so it would not be one huge one but sections. now I have some cool actual tight dreads going on to some degree in that area. I'm around nearly 50 days in or so.The oiliness is going to slow progress for you. Combat the oil with rosemary oil in your wash and that should help. You can wear a wool (or alpaca or llama, basically any protein-based fiber, from an animal) tam, beret, hat, etc while you sleep (rubs your hair around in a gentle manner to encourage matting) or while you're out and about.Everyone's hair really is different, in texture, in oil or dryness levels, as well as straight to wavy to oily. My hair btw is naturally very thick, coarse, and wavy if I leave it alone. It would tangle at the base of my neck normally before I started dreading it.It's going to look "worse" before it dreads, but by that I mean it will look looser and seem like it's doing nothing, then suddenly it will start to feel like it's tangling, then matting, then dreading in more of a progressional manner. Wash a couple times of week, using the rosemary to combat oil, and if you want something else, spray it with sea salt water a few hours before you wash to help it tighten. Keep the salt off your scalp so you don't end up getting your scalp to think it needs to make more oil.PS I started with some t&r, but soon gave up on them and although it looks like my hair isn't really sectioned, if I tilt my head you can see it separate into the sections and if I feel it I can feel them really starting to knot up (just lots of loose hairs all around them masking it in appearance).Good luck :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
mine dreaded in weeiksbut mines never been oily

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aaron"TheLegend"
@aaronthelegend
14 years ago
283 posts
Yeah i don't have any rosemary, I should get that, nor do I have beads or a tame. Sighs i need to find me a job.But thank you very much Christina! That's a lot of information! I'll soak all that up, I have to get that Rosemary and peppermint oil asap!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
thyme tea sprayed on and left on is great for reducing oil ..how often do u wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aaron"TheLegend"
@aaronthelegend
14 years ago
283 posts
Thyme tea?? Where do you get that? I wash every 3 days.
Akal Sahai
@akal-sahai
14 years ago
39 posts
crap - I mean thyme oil. rosemary's good too, but mostly for dryness which is not what you need. If you know of anyone who has plants nearby you you could always steep some thyme sprigs in water and use that until you get the oil. There's also a group on here for trading, maybe someone has something to trade for. I'm a huge fan of peppermint, so yeah peppermint oil, steeped leaves, or even some standard peppermint tea would work in a pinch. Aaron"TheLegend" said:
Yeah i don't have any rosemary, I should get that, nor do I have beads or a tame. Sighs i need to find me a job.

But thank you very much Christina! That's a lot of information! I'll soak all that up, I have to get that Rosemary and peppermint oil asap!
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form