Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Flat Iron

Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
I've pondered this for a while, but just never thought anything of it.When my hair is loose and un-dreaded I use a flat iron to straighten my hair for special occasions, weddings, births, divorces, yada yada.I'm sure that using a flat iron my dreads isn't a grand idea, aside from the obvious damage the irons' heat is doing, it'd probably hinder movement and prolong the locking process, right?It's not something I'm thinking of trying, or something I've done before, but has anyone tried this? And any thoughts from anyone else?
updated by @alden: 06/08/22 06:21:16PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
only thing useful it could do is heat the dread to melt out wax

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
oh I hadn't thought of that, but good idea.how do you think it'd work for temporarily controlling fuzzies?
RagguhMuffyn
@ragguhmuffyn
14 years ago
12 posts
I've always wondered if it's super bad for dreads to curl them with a curling iorn. So same kinda concept. But if you try to straighten then with a curling iron wouldn't it cause the loose hairs to kink? I don't know about your dread but mine have loops and bumps all over so I could see that kinking the stray hairs. I'm not sure though. I haven't tried it but it seems like it might make the fuzzies pop out more.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
So, I got overly curious and took the flat iron to a few dreads. I was worried that running the iron down my dread might actually pull hair straight and then keep it that way, so instead of running, I opened the iron each time I moved down and then clamped down again.First impression, it took care of fuzz, hard core, tightened up the dread too.I did this only about an hour ago, so we'll see how well it lasts, but I fully expect my dread to recover to it's original state within a day or so. Or when I wash/rinse next.I'll let yall know what happens.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Hey, Alden...didn't you start your dreads over?I thought that I read a post from you saying that you combed em out?...
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
Aye Sister, I've got the same opinion on this. I'm just curious by nature, tho to no avail aside from little bits of knowledge, that i pride myself on knowing. I completely agree with you too, I don't see any reason for anyone to use a flat iron on their dreads on any kind of regular basis, occasionally, on low heat, for special occasions is fine I'm sure.And yeah Grey, you did read that, I started over only a month or so ago. The dreads I had before belonged to someone else originally and I feel like it's time enough that I should let them go and work on living for me. I just felt like a fresh set of dreads is as good a new start as anything.I actually asked this question because it's been a while sense I've had baby dreads and while the basics are embedded, there are always new questions that pop up here and there.
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Sounds good, brother. You're braver than me to try that on your locks. :P Alden said:
Aye Sister, I've got the same opinion on this. I'm just curious by nature, tho to no avail aside from little bits of knowledge, that i pride myself on knowing. I completely agree with you too, I don't see any reason for anyone to use a flat iron on their dreads on any kind of regular basis, occasionally, on low heat, for special occasions is fine I'm sure.

And yeah Grey, you did read that, I started over only a month or so ago. The dreads I had before belonged to someone else originally and I feel like it's time enough that I should let them go and work on living for me. I just felt like a fresh set of dreads is as good a new start as anything.

I actually asked this question because it's been a while sense I've had baby dreads and while the basics are embedded, there are always new questions that pop up here and there.
Alden
@alden
14 years ago
303 posts
So I said I'd keep this updated, the few dreads that I tried the flat iron on are surprisingly still firmer than they were before hand.Now I haven't gotten them wet yet, which I'm sure will poof it back out, but in the mean time, I'm almost impressed.
Andrew Harder
@andrew-harder
14 years ago
33 posts
the heat could actually compress the knots that have already formed... not make new knots but it could be helpful (never thought of it before) Alden said:
So I said I'd keep this updated, the few dreads that I tried the flat iron on are surprisingly still firmer than they were before hand.

Now I haven't gotten them wet yet, which I'm sure will poof it back out, but in the mean time, I'm almost impressed.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form