Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Something I am very curious about. Has anyone who is white/hispanic/asian anything other than black had issues with black people over their dreads?

❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
while watching some videos on YouTube, I see a lot of black people saying mean and angry things about others with dreads. This is mostly aimed towards white people saying "Why do you have to steal everything from us ever our hairstyles."Now my question here is has anyone encountered that out in real life?I see around here that dreadies(of many races) tend to be less discriminative to other races.So, has anyone had to deal with this? and how would you respond to someone acting this way?The reason why I ask this is that I live in an area that has about 30% white 30% black 30% hispanic and 10% other. I ride public transportation and see many black people and I hate to admit but I'm a little afraid that someone will start picking on me for my dreads. I'm not the strongest person(emotionally) so I tend to worry about these things.
updated by @opaulao: 03/15/19 01:15:52PM
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Just proof that blacks can be just as ignorant and racist as any other skin color. =)Just live and let live. If someone says something to you just say something either totally crazy or something filled with love. For instance, if a black guy or girl says something like..."why dat stupid azz cracka gotta steal muh faddas faddas faddas muddafukkin style yo?! You say, "God loves you"...then you mutter under your breath.."but I don't.." =D No, I'm kidding but you have to get some thick skin and just live your life. Live and let live. Or you can say something like..."silver spoons me." No one really responds to that. Oh and if you ride public transportation you might want to start thinking about getting a concealed carry permit. I'd be more worried about someone trying to rob/rape/hurt/kill you than someone insulting you out of ignorance.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ive had a couple comments from ignorant ppl..issues nevermost ppl are aware drewads are not a black thingbut some think it isi lived in an all black hood actualy a crack hood and got nothing but respect for trying to clean up the area and make it safe again..point is most ppl will maybe snap judge u based on appearance but then personality shines throuigh and thewy see the real youon youtube u get alotta white kids..15-18 all look at my dreads aint i cooland in a wau that seems like robbing the culture not only of a race but a religion and a lifestyle..because they see just the look at me im cool factor not the deeper reasonings behind dreads and maybe if the vids wernt all just showing off but siscussing the whys and reasons behind dreads there would be more respectmaybe?i dunnoits silly to assume anything based on race..id be more pissed biut the white kids acting all gangsta then i would about white guys with dreads and funny thing is the kids acting gansta get more accepted in the community then someone wearing dreadsalot of its ignorance not even knowing where certain things in the culture come from like the baggy pants showin the boxers they think its part of the hiphop scene but in reality its a jailhouse signal indicating well.. your the girl n the jailhouse relationship thing..ignorance of the origons made them adopt it as theyre own just like dreads they only knew of dreads from pop culture idols (bob lenny umm whats the rapper that just cut his?)its a very limmited understanding of their own culture that leads em to believe certain things are "black things"i know most rastas dont care if your a white rasta or black or chinese..but..i met a group the church of the black jesus and we were drumming they were drumming having picnics side by side so we invited em to join us and they just responded "we dont integrate" and wouldnt say another wordracism also is not the property of any one race..

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
❂•Paula•❂
@opaulao
14 years ago
751 posts
Lol..Actually I have already come up with something crazy to say if anyone bothers me. I am actually hispanic(though I look white to most) so I'll just sayOh sorry but I am a descendant from an indigenous Chilean tribe called the Wachos that is located at the base of a mountain on the Andes mountain range. It is customary for our people to dread their hair as a sign of fertility and health. So I'm sorry if you feel offended by my customs, but I am simply trying to get more in touch with my cultural heritage.I think that would pretty much take care of anything... :) GreyGargoyle said:
Just proof that blacks can be just as ignorant and racist as any other skin color. =)
Just live and let live. If someone says something to you just say something either totally crazy or something filled with love. For instance, if a black guy or girl says something like..."why dat stupid azz cracka gotta steal muh faddas faddas faddas muddafukkin style yo?! You say, "God loves you"...then you mutter under your breath.."but I don't.." =D No, I'm kidding but you have to get some thick skin and just live your life. Live and let live. Or you can say something like..."silver spoons me." No one really responds to that. Oh and if you ride public transportation you might want to start thinking about getting a concealed carry permit. I'd be more worried about someone trying to rob/rape/hurt/kill you than someone insulting you out of ignorance.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
usually I'd say they are the most excited to see other people with locks, and I've gotten into some cool conversations with people cause of it.if you ever hear that "stealing hairstyle" crapjust be like locks are thousands of years old(hell they've dug up crypts in several continents where the deceased had their locks still attached to their head"be strong :)(im white/hispanic)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
this is how all hair grows on my planetyou wouldnt even walk upright if we didnt mess with your dna millions of years agoeverytime you use a tool or take a step your using the culture our race generously gave youbetter yet..answer in swahilli

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
GreyGargoyle
@greygargoyle
14 years ago
569 posts
Hahaha, awesome guy's.
Kingdisco
@kingdisco
14 years ago
7 posts
hmm i had bleached dreads for a while (i'm asian by the way) while in college and i have heard some negative and some strange ass comments from people as well. for the most part, i find a simple honest answer is all that's required or none at all.i think public transportation is plenty safe. and lucky for us the dc metro area has a lot more diversity than it used to. my parents own a store in a predominantly black neighborhood in baltimore and used to hear plenty of racist stuff and they don't have dreads. LOL.soaring eagle, lol and the rapper who just cut his dreads was lil' wayne.on the flip side, i've met some totally awesome people and gotten tons of nice comments when i had dreads as well. it can be a great conversation starter :) all i can say is life's too short to worry about the knuckleheads. enjoy the things that make you you. lol you won't get another chance. unless you believe in reincarnation but who knows you could come back as a frog for a while. LOLOLOLOL.
Island Mamma
@island-mamma
14 years ago
530 posts
I have had black women make remarks about my hair in the past.I used to wear platts and high, slick, french twists with curls stuck to my forehead, ya 80/90's thang'.I would comment with well I'm French and this is a French twist, is your hair naturally straight or??? Or are You a natural blonde?That type of smart ass thing.People (regardess of race) who pick on you do it because they think you are an easy target or easy to push around and saying something like that usually takes them aback.
Jake Holland
@jake-holland
14 years ago
203 posts
I have yet to run into any negative comments to my face at least. I'm sure I can come up with some sort of clever confusing comment or just tell them "oh these, yeah their my ignorance filter"
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form